It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Food aggression turning in to something more?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CatDen
Teenager
Teenager
CatDen

Female Join date : 2013-01-19

Food aggression turning in to something more? Empty
PostSubject: Food aggression turning in to something more?   Food aggression turning in to something more? EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 12:36 pm

As some of you may remember, I posted earlier this year about my puppy developing food aggression over night. Well, it's only gotten worse. Today, he bit me worse than he has. I'm at my wits end. Almost a year, we've been working with him non-stop and he's only gotten worse. I don't want to get rid of him, which is why I'm once again asking for help. He'll be a year old in December. Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Food aggression turning in to something more?   Food aggression turning in to something more? EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 2:09 pm

Did he come from a reputable breeder?? I can't remember, sorry. Have you asked the breeder if any of the other puppies have developed issues?? Have you seen a behaviorist yet??

Also, had he been to the vet to rule an injury out??
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
CatDen
Teenager
Teenager
CatDen

PostSubject: Re: Food aggression turning in to something more?   Food aggression turning in to something more? EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 2:17 pm

Hello there! Yes he did. And none of the other puppies have issues. He literally developed this overnight in February, with no reason. He's been to the vet several times and has no injuries.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Food aggression turning in to something more?   Food aggression turning in to something more? EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 2:29 pm

Hi. Would you be able to link to the old thread, so we can catch up on the back story?
Back to top Go down
CatDen
Teenager
Teenager
CatDen

PostSubject: Re: Food aggression turning in to something more?   Food aggression turning in to something more? EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 2:39 pm

Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Food aggression turning in to something more?   Food aggression turning in to something more? EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 3:32 pm

Well, I had a little guarding start to develop with my puppy when he was 3-5 months old. I noticed it with a pig ear first, hair up and growling if I approached when he had one, or he would try to run off with it. Those are his absolute most favorite things. Since yours has been going on for a while, this may not work for you, but I was able to nip his in the bud rather quickly thank goodness! I did two things that really helped. Basically I just started teaching him the command 'off.' Which for us is like 'give' or 'drop it,' I didn't start with food, I started with toys, and toys he liked, but didn't love. If he had the toy in his mouth, i'd say 'off' and show him i had a treat, as soon as he let go, I marked and treated and ALWAYS gave back what I took from him, so he got that if I asked him to give me something, he would get a treat and the thing back. I slowly increased the value of the toys and started incorporating objects he wasn't allowed to have. Even those I would give back to him for a few seconds after he released, I think giving the object back was the MOST important aspect of this.

For the food guarding, I did something similar to an idea suggested on the other topic. I would give him a pig ear and sit beside him and toss kibbles of dog food to him as he chewed (he loves his dog food). At first he displayed guarding body language and would tense up, but eventually he realized that I didn't touch his pig ear when he dropped it to eat the dog food. I did this for a week or so and didn't try to touch the pig ear. Next step was instead of tossing the kibble to him, I would hold my hand out with a kibble, and he would have to drop the pig ear and eat out of my hand. Once he was relaxed with this step and realized i wasn't going to steal his pig ear, I moved on to the next step. I touched, but didn't move the pig ear, then I progressed to picking it up, letting him eat the kibble and handing it back to him. Then I integrated the 'off' command, and would tell him off, give him a kibble and not touch the pig ear, and then progressed like before. Now, I still practice with him every once in a while, but just say off, take the object, and praise and give back right away, getting the object back is the reward in this case.

I think the biggest thing is to take your time and build trust, I'm sure you've never given him a reason to doubt you, I know I didn't with my pup, but for whatever reason, he thinks that someone is going to take his food if they get near. If he reacts, then you know you went too far, too fast. I also looked at his scrapbook and you mentioned that he was a little shy and skittish as a puppy. It could be the same issue, but just a different manifestation: insecurity. For now I would totally leave him be during feeding time, give him at least a few feet of space and pick up any toys/bones. And if you give him something that is high value to him, plan on letting him have it until he's done with it and give him space. When you start working on tossing treats his way, approach from the side, when you approach from the front it feels like a direct confrontation. I don't think its a good idea to try and take things from him, touch him, or get close to his food bowl until he is less reactive overall. Even now with Dizzy, I put his bowl down pet him once down his back and walk away. If I do have to get close to him for some reason now, he's comfortable with it since he trusts me, but I worked to build that trust. You could always separate with a baby gate when you are working on it as well, so that if he does react, you are on the other side of the gate and safe. I was lucky that Diz never got to the point Alki did, but I think if you go really slow he'll come around eventually. Smile
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Food aggression turning in to something more?   Food aggression turning in to something more? EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 3:43 pm

What have you been doing to counter the aggression?

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
CatDen
Teenager
Teenager
CatDen

PostSubject: Re: Food aggression turning in to something more?   Food aggression turning in to something more? EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 5:28 pm

As for the food aggression, we were hand feeding him and then slowly weaning him to the bowl. We also made him sit, speak, shake, hi-five, lay down before each time he ate. We did that for months. As for his other aggression, he mostly just gets really still or turns his lip up if you pet his nose or his ears. And that's only sometimes. I've contacted a trainer to maybe learn if there's anything we're doing that might be spawning his aggression. I just want him happy, healthy and non-biting.
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Food aggression turning in to something more?   Food aggression turning in to something more? EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 7:01 pm

First of all if he does that I would take away the food, if you let him eat after that behaviour it will be a reward.

I think when he first did that he was testing and as it seems he wa ssuccessful, so you gotta show him that he is not the boss, you are. If he starts the aggressive behaviour he gets no food and when you give the good back to him after a few minutes he has to wait until you give him an ok to eat. It will take a few days maybe but that could help.
Back to top Go down
CatDen
Teenager
Teenager
CatDen

PostSubject: Re: Food aggression turning in to something more?   Food aggression turning in to something more? EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 7:12 pm

Since the first time he's bitten me, we've taken the food away when he bites. Sad

Side note: he has also started to view his crate as a sort of "den" I think. If anyone sticks their hand in there while he's in there, he snarls/bites.
Back to top Go down
TartokTikaani94
Puppy
Puppy
TartokTikaani94

Female Join date : 2013-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Food aggression turning in to something more?   Food aggression turning in to something more? EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 6:12 am

If you don't mind me asking, how do you exercise him? I started getting into urban mushing when she was young(all the commands, and alot of running. No real pulling till she was two) to exercise mine then after she was tired out, I would feed her. I wouldn't try feeding him if he's hyper, instead take him out for a walk or run so he can burn off some of the energy, then when you get back home try feeding following all the other advise the other folk have given.

I too make mine wait till I say ''ok'' or nod my head yes before she can eat. It took a few months but now she wont even touch a treat till she gets the ok lol.

Trust me, I have a wolfdog and shes about the most hard headed brat in the would. But if I can teach her to not snap when raw/kibble feeding, I have faith you can do it to. Just keep strong for your baby boy. sunny 
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Food aggression turning in to something more?   Food aggression turning in to something more? EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 2:10 pm

http://www.pawsitivepractice.com/ They are in GA, please contact them even it's just for a phone consult.

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/resource-guarding-treatment-and-prevention

Continuing to try and touch the dog while eating is not helping matters. The freezes and lip lifting are clear warnings of imminent bites. They are not showing a dog who is "getting better" or becoming more tolerant. Personally I feel he is showing signs of possession with the crate due to mistrust he has probably developed from the food issue.

For the time being I would place the food in the crate (when he isn't in it,) close the door, and then call him for dinner. Ask for a sit, give a nice lick of something like PB and open the door to the crate, releasing him to eat. If getting him out is an issue- call him towards you even if you have to bait with something good like PB. Reward and move him into another room to get his bowl out.

You really need to consult a trainer who is not going to use punishment methods because these will only exacerbate the behavior.

Back to top Go down
CatDen
Teenager
Teenager
CatDen

PostSubject: Re: Food aggression turning in to something more?   Food aggression turning in to something more? EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 5:44 pm

He just had a comb and was chewing it. I tried to trade up and he attacked me. Ripped my right hand open.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Food aggression turning in to something more?   Food aggression turning in to something more? EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 5:53 pm

Please contact one of the trainers listed in the link above. This has surpassed the ability of others at the other end of a keyboard to assist.

Back to top Go down
CatDen
Teenager
Teenager
CatDen

PostSubject: Re: Food aggression turning in to something more?   Food aggression turning in to something more? EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 5:59 pm

Calling first thing tomorrow. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Food aggression turning in to something more?   Food aggression turning in to something more? EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 11:09 am

I'm sorry he got ahold of you. One of the first things to always remember, never just take something away from him. If he has something that you don't want him to have, give him something else in place of it. Part of the issue seems to be that he thinks you'll take things away and he wont get them back. Whenever I take something from Karli, I usually give her a pig ear or a piece of cheese in place of it. This way she knows that while she can't have that particular item, she can have something else. Hopefully a trainer can help!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Food aggression turning in to something more?   Food aggression turning in to something more? Empty

Back to top Go down

Food aggression turning in to something more?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1