It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

7 Month old pup

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Direwolf147
Newborn
Newborn
Direwolf147

7 Month old pup Empty
PostSubject: 7 Month old pup   7 Month old pup EmptyWed Sep 11, 2013 11:41 pm

Hi,

I am looking at getting a puppy and I have found a gorgeous 7 month old puppy in need of a new home, but I could have a problem, and I am after some honest advice.

I have a 3 year old cat who is a house cat and never goes outside, she has free roam of the house and she means a lot to me and I really wouldn't like to see her be hurt or killed.

Is 7 months to old to be able to teach the puppy that my cat is not for chasing and killing or has that time passed and the liklihood is that it would go after my cat and I couldn't train that out of the Husky ?

I apologise if questions like this has been asked previously.

I have posted this to other forums... just want to be sure, the pup is gorgeous and needs a good home. Crying or Very sad 

Thank you
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

7 Month old pup Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 Month old pup   7 Month old pup EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 12:36 am

Mishima was 5 months old and probably the most difficult to break of the cat fixation. It really depends on the dog. Is it possible to do a trial? Or is this a private rehome? You can probably work it but its going to depend on your handling ability.

Keep the cat and dog separated unless you're working on their interaction. Make it clear the cat is completely off limits. No chasing and absolutely no mouth on the cat.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Direwolf147
Newborn
Newborn
Direwolf147

7 Month old pup Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 Month old pup   7 Month old pup EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 12:51 am

Hi,

Its purchasing from someone I haven't met so I wouldn't be able to do a trial Sad

Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

7 Month old pup Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 Month old pup   7 Month old pup EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 9:04 am

Do you know if the puppy has been around cats so far? I also think it depends on the dog. Some huskies ignore cats, some can be trained, some can never live with cats.
Back to top Go down
li_izumi
Puppy
Puppy
li_izumi

7 Month old pup Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 Month old pup   7 Month old pup EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 9:13 am

Depends also on your cat. Is she a runner? Does she stick up for herself and won't back down from the dog? My cat Genji stands his ground , swats when he's being pressured by pupppy, and doesn't run unless he wants to play. he and the dog are doing fine. My cat Romeo is more skiddish and while sometimes holds his ground, other times he runs, and gets chased. He isn't doing as well with the dog yet. Running cats invites chase.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

7 Month old pup Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 Month old pup   7 Month old pup EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 9:32 am

I agree with Li. Neither of our cats run and Dizzy used to get in trouble if he even looked at the cats. Now I let him look, but if his ears perk up then I correct him (I can pretty much always tell what that dog is thinking). He now will stand or lay a few feet away and look at them and wag his tail, if he drops his head then he gets corrected (this is stalking behavior for him). He really wants to be friends but they detest him (as any proper self respecting cat should) Wink. If your cat runs, than I think a 7 month old is a bad idea. Do you have a friend with a dog that could come over? Then you could gage your cats reaction to that dog and that would give you a better idea.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

7 Month old pup Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 Month old pup   7 Month old pup EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 11:59 am

7 months isn't too old, but you will need to be very assertive all the time. Don't let it slip once. See if you can bring a friend's dog over to test the cat to see if she's dog savvy (stand ground, etc). That should help you determine if your cat will be a runner or not.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

7 Month old pup Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 Month old pup   7 Month old pup EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 12:17 pm

I agree it depends on the cat too. Both my cats have been raised with higher energy and higher prey drive dogs. They tend to understand that jumping up is better option then running. When dogs are awake, they should not run. Yet, Loki does much better with my bengal who is a more assertive and vocal cat.

I don't think 7 months is too old. The behaviorialist told me at our local shelter they do not do cat testing on puppies (those under a year). Yet, if it is a very high prey driven dog, I would not personally want to deal with that either. Hopefully the current owners can let you know.
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

7 Month old pup Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 Month old pup   7 Month old pup EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 1:51 pm

i would be nervous to do it if there isnt a way to test the dogs reaction to cats. Certainly it could be done but i think the dogs personality really does play a big role in it because some have a higher prey drive than others. if you do decide to move forward on it i would be careful to plan how to properly introduce the two and make sure your cat has safe places to go if it feels threatened. even though my cat and husky get along great, i keep part of the house gated off from my pup so the cat has a place to get away from her if he wants.

Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

7 Month old pup Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 Month old pup   7 Month old pup EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 6:31 pm

We actually added our cat when Anna was almost a year old, but Anna has a very low prey drive. Our cat also does not fear Anna, she absolutely adores her and will meow until Anna pays her attention. It does depend on the dog and the cat. In the beginning, our cat stayed in my boyfriend's computer room for about a week and then we introduced Anna. We introduced them for another week or so, with Anna on a leash and Sahara where she was comfortable. Anna's attention could always be drawn away from Sahara with goodies. Sahara was scared at first as I expected but after a month the fear was over. Sahara was less than a year old when we got her and is still an extremely small cat and Anna does great. Anna also does really well with really small dogs. But that is just Anna's personality, we knew she had a low prey drive. Sahara and Anna do play all the time, but this isn't the case with all huskies or cats. There is still a risk though and we knew that. I would take Jackie's advice about seeing whether your cat like's dogs or tolerates them.

Last edited by anastasiya'smom on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I can't spell)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

7 Month old pup Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7 Month old pup   7 Month old pup Empty

Back to top Go down

7 Month old pup

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1