It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

having trouble with biting and staying down.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BellaBabby!
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2013-06-13

biting - having trouble with biting and staying down. Empty
PostSubject: having trouble with biting and staying down.   biting - having trouble with biting and staying down. EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 11:14 am

MY puppy is now five months i have been working with her with sit and stay and come. The only problem im having is stay down and biting shes always trying to bite me. Now i know she is just playing at times but sometimes these two things get on my nerves. any suggestions on how to handle this. ive been saying down and pointing down and when she bites i tap her on her nose and say no its not working Sad
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: having trouble with biting and staying down.   biting - having trouble with biting and staying down. EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 2:48 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum. There is a stickie with lots of info and suggestions on how to deal with puppy biting:

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t1646-puppy-biting

Also, there is a search tool up above, I typed in biting and a ton of threads came up. I'm too lazy to rewrite everyone's ideas and methods on dealing with it, but I highly suggest reading through these threads. The helped me a lot with my puppy.

https://www.itsahuskything.com/search?mode=searchbox&search_keywords=biting&show_results=topics
Back to top Go down
BellaBabby!
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: having trouble with biting and staying down.   biting - having trouble with biting and staying down. EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 11:01 am

-.- wasnt helpful
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: having trouble with biting and staying down.   biting - having trouble with biting and staying down. EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 11:25 am

Honestly it's not going to work overnight. It can take weeks to finally have results with biting. You have to be patient and consistent with your training. My pup is STILL mouthy to this day (at 9 months old) and I have been working with him since day one. It takes TIME to get results. It gets very frustrating at times but if you stay vigilant (CONSTANT VIGILANCE) you will see results. She's still just a puppy and like any young animal, dog and human alike, they take patience.

Kye
Newborn
Newborn
Kye

Male Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: having trouble with biting and staying down.   biting - having trouble with biting and staying down. EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 11:48 am

I second Jen and Ashleigh. Consistency and persistance on the rules are key, there are lots of techniques around the forum but however you do it, establish a warning, so she knows what she is doing wrong (like "that's enough" or "no bite"), if she continues then add a punishment. If tapping on the nose isn't a severe enough punishment try stopping your play session or taking away a toy. It takes time, keep at it !! Cute pup!
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: having trouble with biting and staying down.   biting - having trouble with biting and staying down. EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 12:14 pm

There are several threads on this topic.  This is also probably one of the most widely talked about issues on this board.  Jen gave you wonderful advice on how to research your topic.  

Instead of making a new thread (link), why didn't you just revive this one?

I don't get how your pup can be 5 months 9/17/2013 then 7 months 10/11/2013, but alright.

We can't do all of the research for you.  You really have to look around the board and find other threads that cover the biting issue.  

Don't let it get on your nerves.  You have to be patient.  At 5-7 months, she is just a baby.  Soon to hit the teenage years and that's when she'll really be rowdy.

You haven't told us anything about her past.  Puppies that are given away from their moms before 8 weeks have a tendency to show bite inhibition.  Their moms play a critical role in telling them how to behave (i.e. not bite their siblings).  Did you get your puppy before 8 weeks old?

I wouldn't bop her on the nose either.  She'll start to get 'hand shy' which means she won't like to be touched in the face (and she'll cower if someone leans over to pet her in the face).

When she jumps and bites you, you have to turn around and ignore her.  Ignore her until she stops.  When she stops, praise her for not biting/jumping.  If she starts jumping/biting again, go back to square one and turn around to ignore her.  If you want her to learn 'faster', give her treats when she doesn't bite/jump you.  Positive reinforcement with this breed can really get you ahead of the game.  

Seriously though, there really are several topics on the biting issue.  Please do some more research.

Try doing key words like: bite, biting, jump, jumping, help, etc.
Back to top Go down
CaliaKisses
Puppy
Puppy
CaliaKisses

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: having trouble with biting and staying down.   biting - having trouble with biting and staying down. EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 1:21 pm

Helpful article discussing bite inhibition

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/725
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: having trouble with biting and staying down.   biting - having trouble with biting and staying down. EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 1:51 pm

BellaBabby! wrote:
-.- wasnt helpful
I probably should just leave this one, but I'm a little annoyed honestly. you're telling me that in all the dozens of pages I linked to, you read them, decided on a technique, implemented it consistently, and there is not one thing that managed to work in 3 weeks? Suspect  Do you have any questions about any of the techniques you've tried?
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

Male Join date : 2013-07-08

PostSubject: Re: having trouble with biting and staying down.   biting - having trouble with biting and staying down. EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 4:19 pm

VintageJeans wrote:

I don't get how your pup can be 5 months 9/17/2013 then 7 months 10/11/2013, but alright.

im also lost on this cause in your first post about biting on june 27th you said 9 weeks old which would make 6 months lol....

that is beyond the point though.. there is plenty of good advice, rikku is 5 months today and she is still quite mouthy and we're very persistent. we have seen improvement but its there... stay persistent and give it time
Back to top Go down
marsha62
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2013-12-03

PostSubject: Re: having trouble with biting and staying down.   biting - having trouble with biting and staying down. EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 11:02 pm

I am new to this forum, however, I wanted to share the interesting experience my husband and I are having with Ozzy (he just turned a year in November). Ozzy will not bite me. I used a combination of saying 'no bite' firmly and my body language- turning away from him or if I am sitting, crossing my leg and turn from him. He gets the message. He then will walk away but come back to me and put his body against me for me to pet him # I think he just is checking that we're ok again..lol My husband is a different story in the sense that his consistency is slightly inconsistent, so he still is struggling...lol..
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: having trouble with biting and staying down.   biting - having trouble with biting and staying down. EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 9:38 am

marsha62 wrote:
I am new to this forum, however, I wanted to share the interesting experience my husband and I are having with Ozzy (he just turned a year in November). Ozzy will not bite me. I used a combination of saying 'no bite' firmly and my body language- turning away from him or if I am sitting, crossing my leg and turn from him. He gets the message. He then will walk away but come back to me and put his body against me for me to pet him # I think he just is checking that we're ok again..lol My husband is a different story in the sense that his consistency is slightly inconsistent, so he still is struggling...lol..
Hey,hey,hey; Lets be gentle, I too am consistently inconsistent. I think it is a glandular thing LOL!
Back to top Go down
BellaBabby!
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: having trouble with biting and staying down.   biting - having trouble with biting and staying down. EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 12:44 pm

okay lets all attack me sounds good!
Back to top Go down
BellaBabby!
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: having trouble with biting and staying down.   biting - having trouble with biting and staying down. EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 12:57 pm

how do you delete an account on here??? no point of coming on here when people are going to attack you MY FREAKING BAD I MADE A MISTAKE ON THE MONTHS . LETS MAKE PEOPLE FEEL STUPID!!!
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: having trouble with biting and staying down.   biting - having trouble with biting and staying down. EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 2:34 pm

I would not get too upset. I messed up on months too, mainly cause 4 week months kind of screwed it up somewhere and the rescue I got him from had 2 different DOBs and my vet thought he was even younger then the original paperwork. Then, I just setup the PitaPata based on the middle date to tell me.

I think people were trying to figure out what solutions you implemented and just let you know it takes a long time sometimes for things to work. In the end, consistency will pay off. Loki is pretty good at bite inhibition, but when he missed his walks due to the cold, he does get worse again. He is 10 months old and still has some issues at times. Most of those threads are going over the best approaches as tapping the nose usually won't work. Since your last post, has it gotten better at least?
Back to top Go down
CourtneyLynn04
Newborn
Newborn
CourtneyLynn04

Female Join date : 2014-02-28

PostSubject: Re: having trouble with biting and staying down.   biting - having trouble with biting and staying down. EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 1:52 pm

Our puppy often nips at us when she she's trying to tell us something--usually that she has to go to the bathroom (and we forgot to put her bell back up so she can't tell us). She also nips when she gets overstimulated. If she's starting to get worked up, we either take her outside to potty or put her in her crate for a few minutes to calm down.

Learning to read the dog can help implement preventative measures. Also, don't ever play with your puppy with your hands. Use toys instead.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: having trouble with biting and staying down.   biting - having trouble with biting and staying down. Empty

Back to top Go down

having trouble with biting and staying down.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1