It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

aggresion between existing dog and newer dog

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

Male Join date : 2013-07-08

aggresion between existing dog and newer dog Empty
PostSubject: aggresion between existing dog and newer dog   aggresion between existing dog and newer dog EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 7:18 pm

Alright so im looking for advice and have found a little bit online
http://fairydogparents.tripod.com/id8.html
that is one sight i have found

now here is my situation and let me know what advice you have or what you think the problem is

Existing dog: boston terrier around 4 years old girl friend found her in a field 2 years ago never found an owner she was what appears to be an abandoned mill dog has had a few litters not sure how many... gf adopeted her and has had her since

New dog; Rikku, husky they have been around each other for a since july rikku is5 months.

little background between the two;
the boston terrier (gert) has never really gotten along with bigger dogs (anything bigger then her) gert and rikku have had minor tifs here and there but usually just gert getting mad because rikku pesters her to play.

rikku was teritorial over food when she was a bit younger but we have somewhat worked past that.

i brought home a new toy today for them (a bumi) and gave it to. i started by just throwing it in the yard and let them play catch, rikku grabbed it first and played keep away which is always funny to watch. well rikku was using the rest room and set the toy down, gert came to get the toy and when she started to grab it rikku tried to grab it to run again, gert snapped at her (never really bites but it usually intimidates the other dog) rikku this time instead of backing down went back at her for the first time. and it started a scuffle. i stopped it and play time was over, we went inside and i tried to introduce the toy to gert and as gert got it i gave rikku a treat for letting gert have it, after that rikku went up to grab the toy from gert and gert snapped again and rikku went after her again. rikku then sat over me while i was holding her back growling and had the lip thing going staring gert down. gert was doing the same thing. a little while later after they calmed down i was playing with them both and every time gert put her mouth on the toy we were all playing with, rikku would growl at gert and put her paw on her and was wagging her tail still gert would then attempt to snap again and rikku would go after her again. finally this time gert is sub-missing. now rikku is following gert around still seeming like she wants to play but also not letting up on following her around (almost standing tall towards her) and constantly staring her down. gert is just breaking eye contact and trying to get away from her.

are they trying to determine dominance between the two? or is it toy aggression between them?

what should i do? or rather can i do to help them get along?

(sorry about all the grammer i had to type this very fast)
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

PostSubject: Re: aggresion between existing dog and newer dog   aggresion between existing dog and newer dog EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 10:02 am

bumb
Back to top Go down
Rigbyjek
Puppy
Puppy
Rigbyjek

PostSubject: Re: aggresion between existing dog and newer dog   aggresion between existing dog and newer dog EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 10:02 pm

Based on your description it's really hard to tell whats going on. Has Rikku been around other dogs? Does he/she do that with other dogs? Say, at the dog park? Are both dogs spayed/neutered? If you can get it on video I can probably offer advice Smile But it's hard to advise you without seeing it. Smile
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: aggresion between existing dog and newer dog   aggresion between existing dog and newer dog EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 10:07 pm

Honestly, I would get a second toy. Expecting them to peacefully share a toy really isn't fair. And if Rikku can't play nice with the toy, then the toy should be taken away.

Other that that, because we aren't there, as said above, its really hard to say what else is going on.
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

PostSubject: Re: aggresion between existing dog and newer dog   aggresion between existing dog and newer dog EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 12:40 pm

if it is toy aggression wouldn't taking the you from rikku just make that habit worse?

at the dog park rikku doesnt have even the slightest attitude with other dogs, she has been great since day one with other dogs. and now suddenly the one she has been around the most they keep attaching each other
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: aggresion between existing dog and newer dog   aggresion between existing dog and newer dog EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 12:56 pm

Sounds like Rikku needs to learn when enough is enough and they both need a sharing lesson. Dogs don't share toys well unless they get along pretty well to begin with. My dogs play keep away and tug all the time but I wouldn't let them do that with other dogs or with dogs I had in the home that they didn't have a good bond with. Rodeo and Odin for example butt heads and since we are working on that- they are never put at competition with each other for anything.

Rikku is not understand that the snap is a "get away from me" response. So, you as the owner need to be there to remove Rikku from the issue. If this means keeping a leash on Rikku, then do that. It also means reducing the instances of the snapping. Don't put them at competition for the same toy- especially if Gert has it. Rikku doesn't understand social etiquette and since Gert is so much smaller, Rikku would have his actions essentially rewarded if it were allowed to continue since he could easily get the toy away from Gert.

I would work on creating a bond between the 2. Walks together are always a great place to start. Reinforce Rikku respecting Gerts space as well as Gert accepting Rikku in hers. Giving them "special" treats when they're together (and you're watching) helps too. During downtime in the evening a nice kong with some yummies for each of them is a nice place to start. Give them each their space (so opposite sides of whatever room you're in) and only give them these when they're together. However- be in control of the situation and do NOT let either one take over space of the other. If one finishes- either remove them from the room if they're trying to get to the other one or keep them entertained away from the other.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Rigbyjek
Puppy
Puppy
Rigbyjek

PostSubject: Re: aggresion between existing dog and newer dog   aggresion between existing dog and newer dog EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 6:03 pm

It sounds to me like Gert is the one with the issue and like Kristina said- being that Rikku is a puppy she just doesn't know when to back off. I agree that getting them each a toy and teaching them to share is the best idea until they are better bonded- follow Kristinas advice and walk walk walk Smile lol.
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

PostSubject: Re: aggresion between existing dog and newer dog   aggresion between existing dog and newer dog EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 8:22 am

yes gert does have some issues and we know, since rikku has been around we have worked with gert on them. Rikku has a issue with giving gert space, rikku will pester gert until gert takes action and gives a warning snap. usually rikku will go away at that point.

The part that gets me is, i can give the toy to gert and gert will play with it and rikku doesnt care. gert can have it all day long at that point. but if i playing with the toy with rikku, gert just gets excited over human interaction and will come up because were playing then rikku just snaps and suddenly hates gert. so i stop the issue, remove them both from the situation. take the toy away and put it away. after that rikku will just follow and stare down gert for then next 10 mins until she forgets and then there back to friends.

almost always i buy them toys in pairs exact same toy, usually different colors, give one to each.
when i do that alls they can think about is the toy that the other dog has and dont care about their own until they switch then they want the other toy again.

the only reason i got only one of these toys is cause i wanted something i could throw out side for them and when they bring it in not have to take it from them. ( we have tennis balls that we throw out side but if we let them have it inside, then they destroy it in less then 5 mins) so i figured i would get the bumi for them. ( when it comes to toys that i use for fetch, i always just use one, gert loves to play "fetch", and rikku loves to play "fetch gert" ...lol...)

here is what i started trying to do this weekend;
the girlfriend and i sit on the floor. I, with rikku, her with gert. we both have treats in our hands and they dont know it. we then proceed to give the toy to gert and give rikku a treat, then vise versa. we are also taking the toy from them and giving some treats while the other dog gets the toy that they had, hoping that it will show them that its okay if the other dog takes a toy.

obviously it has only been a day or so of this so we do not know if it will work or not, or if its working, but as we do this they seem to be okay with the toy going back and forth. but we do not let them get very close while we are doing this
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: aggresion between existing dog and newer dog   aggresion between existing dog and newer dog Empty

Back to top Go down

aggresion between existing dog and newer dog

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1