It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! Empty
PostSubject: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 5:32 pm

Well I thought I was firmly a member of the teenage husky club but this morning Orion has taken it to a whole new level.
It started at 5am when he decided he had slept enough and rather than wait for me to get up for morning walkies he would practice his singing. After a long morning walk (I somehow thought if I tired him out I would head off the brattiness) I toodled out to hang out washing which Orion proceeded to steal out of the basket and tear a hole in one of my shirts. Having wrestled the washing off him and put it back through the washing machine I thought I needed my morning coffee, I nearly had it made when I realized Orion was not with me so being immediately suspicious I went into the backyard. He was quite merrily digging hole in the corner of the yard trying his very best to get under the fence. So out with the spade and I re dug the back fence line, put new wire netting down, covered that with gravel, shoveled the dirt back over that then put a row of bricks down so he couldn't get to the base of the fence. While I was doing this he decided to try his luck at bird catching, he leaped up at a bird sitting in our big golden robinia tree but instead of getting the bird he caught the branch and of course snapped quite a section out of the tree. I kept going with the fence trying not to think about the tree and  what I didn't realize was Orion had then let himself back inside, chased the cat out (Ted is an inside cat and is now missing over the fence somewhere) then decided to have a party all on his own on the couch - while still being covered in mud from digging! Since I was then occupied cleaning the couch he took it upon himself to eat the banana's on the kitchen bench that were going to be made into muffins for my breakfast.
I am now sitting typing this (finally with my first coffe of the day!) while he is in time out because his final act of terribleness was to try marking the lounge curtains... all of this before 9.30am!

I took today off to have a long weekend and was planning a lovely day but so far I really wish I was at work tongue
Back to top Go down
Bane
Puppy
Puppy
Bane

Female Join date : 2013-05-18

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 5:49 pm

Oh my! Sounds about right though!

Bane, and Willow got into some trouble while I was making dinner last night. We recently moved into a duplex, with a backyard. I had thrown them outside to go potty, and turned around to push the ground beef around to finish browning it for dinner. Literally, they were outside for less than five minutes before I went to go sit with them, and they had dug a rather impressive hole in the corner under the concrete. Consequently, they were placed in time-out while I covered the hole back up.

Yay for teenage husky years!

Last edited by Bane on Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Back to top Go down
seanbrunett
Teenager
Teenager
seanbrunett

Male Join date : 2013-05-13

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 5:53 pm

I can definitely relate. Kai is just about 6.5 months and is starting to enter the teenage phase. When she was younger, she would never jump on me outside on walks. I thought she would always be so good...not so much. She jumps and nips at me outside when she gets overly excited. Very annoying. It usually works to make her sit or heel, but man is it irritating.

She also was great about her puppy biting in general until a couple weeks ago. She's become bad about it again and pretends not to listen when we tell her no.

Definitely entering the teenage years...
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 6:12 pm

im sorry but im at work laughing my ass off right now lol!  i hope your long weekend gets better and your kitty comes back! welcome to the age of the teenager Twisted Evil 

Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 6:48 pm

I know the feeling too lol!

No matter how long I exercise Lycus, lately he has been OBSESSED with digging holes just for the fun of it! I tell him no, and start filling it in. As I'm filling it in, he's pawing at me and wooing because he doesn't want me covering them up! lol! Plus he's been EXTREMELY chatty lately and arguing with me for even the slightest commands. God help us teenage owners lol.
Not to mention he's almost 2! Haha
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 6:53 pm

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! 

Been there done that. tongue 
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 7:44 pm

all of your amusement with Orion's antics this mornings is exactly why I love this forum! If I was to talk to someone owned by another breed I would be faced with having to listen to shining examples of their dogs perfect behavior and forced to hold my temper while I am told that I really shouldn't accept those kinds of acts from Orion. Yet on here not only can all relate since you've all dealt with it, but even better is fact that not one person would question my sanity for still unconditionally loving my unruly little monster Razz 
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 10:30 pm

You guys make me happy that I gave up early on and gave Loki his own garden. I am a little scared though when I need to dig it up as I have no clue how many toys are buried out there now.
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

Female Join date : 2013-06-20

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 1:50 am

GeorginaMay wrote:
all of your amusement with Orion's antics this mornings is exactly why I love this forum! If I was to talk to someone owned by another breed I would be faced with having to listen to shining examples of their dogs perfect behavior and forced to hold my temper while I am told that I really shouldn't accept those kinds of acts from Orion. Yet on here not only can all relate since you've all dealt with it, but even better is fact that not one person would question my sanity for still unconditionally loving my unruly little monster Razz 
I feel the same way!! I get the "why don't you train your dog lecture" from other people!!! I DO train my dog! My dog IS well trained! He DOES know what he's doing is wrong! He just doesn't always care haha. He is actually a really well behaved boy the majority of the time! But who wants to hear about that?!?! Although i sometimes wish he was super obedient like a border collie or something like that, i also LOVE how silly he is too! In our elevator condo, if i make him sit when there's a lot of people in there, he'll sometimes protest with some loud woo-ing. How can you not laugh at that?!? haha

I do sympathize for your wrong morning though. It's like they know when it's your day off, and they just can't themselves. Their job is to keep us busy... forever haha
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 8:20 am

I can sympathize. It sounds a lot like a typical day at my house. I hope your cat returns home safe!
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

Male Join date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 pm

I was talking to my neighbor yesterday about Nanook telling her about all his naughty behaviors lately. Then I opened my big mouth and said " at least he is still a quiet dog, he never barks or howls..he is so quiet". Well, I GUESS that is all he does when we are not home..ALL DAY LONG BARKING AND HOWLING in the back yard LOL...she throws bones over the fence for him so he will shut up...which explains his lack in appetite lately.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 2:24 pm

Oh Lord! What a morning! I had a rather 'fun' few days with Dizzy, although I did learn something important. He is most decidedly a city dog. We stayed with family for the last few days, and he spent most of his time in the back yard, except when we were gone, he was crated. He hated being alone! He would jump up on the back door and do his hyena yip. The only thing that would get him to stop was saying, "do you want to go in your crate?" Then he would zoomie around the yard for a while and try jumping on the glass door again. When I would open the door, he'd look at me and take off, trying to get me to come out to play with him. When we finally got home last night, he was so happy and content to be back in the city, and super lovable.
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

Male Join date : 2013-07-08

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 4:16 pm

haha this is all pretty funny,

rikku has been consistantly trying to dig one spot of the lawn for awhile now, me and her go back and forth i fill it in, walk away for 2 seconds and its twice as big, then walk to her and she runs down to the kiddie pool and rolls in that (its like 40 degrees here and she still loves her pool, i left it out so she had something to drink out of) then finds mud to go roll in that. and after she is nice and covered, she decides this is the best time to show her dad affections, since he wears white shirts to hide her hair and covers me in mud.

that is just one of the many "laughs" she has been creating for us lately. good thing this only last around 2 years right! teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! 1625187496 
Back to top Go down
Kye
Newborn
Newborn
Kye

Male Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 4:43 pm

[quote="techigirl78"] You guys make me happy that I gave up early on and gave Loki his own garden. [quote]

I was thinking about making a box / house for kye out back so he doesnt dig grass around the fence, but the other reason I don't want him to dig is having to clean him before coming in the house. Thats not fun for either of us. But it would happen anyway so at least I help with the first half. Maybe when I have time. Would sand would be better for cleaning?

It's funny how they know what they are doing is wrong when they see you comming and get the zoomies!! hehe

Last edited by Kye on Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:47 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : quote missing [ ... still broken :()
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 5:11 pm

Yeah, next spring I'm going to add a sandbox for him in the back. When he digs, it is usually just his paws and nose and most shakes off. Thinking he'll shake most the sand off.
Back to top Go down
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 8:35 pm

oh my, what an interesting story... blu has been well into his teenager stage for quite sometime, cant say i've ever had it that bad.

i learned a long time ago that when blu get's in his "mischevious mood" to fill his kong with pb, then hide it in his squirrel throw it in a corner... bam i get 3 garunteed hours of peace and quiet. so i guess he hasn't really been given much of a chance to go that far yet.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 11:47 am

I have the teenage husky blues this morning. Last night on our walk Dizzy decided that he wanted to wrestle and started jumping all over me and play biting and growling with the zoomies. He would not stop and it turned into about a 15 min battle of the wills in the middle of the sidewalk, I'm not exaggerating the time, it was actually between 10-15 min. I got so annoyed at one point that I tied his leash around a light pole and walked away for a few minutes. It was just so over the top. I finally got him to the point where he had mostly stopped and would walk forward. The only thing that stopped it finally was me grabbing his muzzle like I used to when he was doing this crap at 4 months old. We went straight home, with him on the traffic handle without a word and without a sniff. He tried it again a block from home and this time I just held the leash tightly at an arms length and pulled up slowly (he had a front clip harness on). He gave up after a couple minutes.

When we finally got home, he went straight into timeout in his alcove and I picked up all his toys and his bed. Normally I would feed him dinner at that time, but delayed because I didn't want to give him anything positive at all. He spent a half hour to 45 min alone in timeout before I gave him dinner, and other than a brief potty break before bed I pretty much wouldn't acknowledge him the entire night. I think it made an impression, as he was much better this morning, but tried to pull that crap a couple times on our walk. This time though a sharp verbal correction and he cut it out. He's just challenging and testing everything and it's super annoying. Also, I don't think it's a matter of exercise, he gets a 45 minute walk in the morning, 45 around lunch time, and at the time he pulled the 15 min zoomie, wrestle attack, we had already been out for 45 min and had been jogging on and off. I think it's frustration boiling over because I've been setting some new rules and teaching some new commands. He is not a fan of 'on by.'

Damn teenagers.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 12:33 pm

Hmmm - all this talk about teenagers - imagine what our parents had to go through with us!!  lol! 
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 1:19 pm

Jen, Bravo on tying Diz to the lamppost and taking a breather!! This was an important time out for you, so many people, myself included at times, forget to take that little break and end up loosing there temper, and we all know how productive that is when training!
Think about where he was boarded, did he "learn something there? or is he just lacking some goofy play time? when was his last play date at the park?
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 1:44 pm

Angela you are totally right there lol!

Hughie, thanks. He gets to go to the park daily and I took him to the dog park on Monday night and he played forever. I think he's just challenging the boundaries, so I have to be firm and give him some tough love.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 3:48 pm

That makes Yuki's chewing sound like a walk in the park, lmao!! Now I'm afraid to get my little Natsu and go through the deaded teenage stage again.. but gave me a laugh! Hope the kitty came home? And that Orion is being a tad better to make it up to his mommy Wink
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 4:30 pm

Have any of you with roughly 1 year old Huskies seen an increase in their needyness, as in emotional/affection needyness?

The past month or so (month 11-12) Link has been more affectionate and sweet than the previous 9 combined.  It's almost Lab like in how sweet he is.  He's been really needy, can't stand to be ignored or left out of any interaction/touching/conversing with my partner and I, and he has been very physically affectionate.  

Since he turned 1 (month 12-13) it has continued but now there's a corresponding brattyness once again and he is challenging again and he's having this renewed mouthy period.  We started calling him Nibbles McGee the past few days.  

I wish I would have carefully documented the phases by month in year 1.  Jen and I were discussing it last night and with the 2 month difference of Dizzy and Link we almost charted out every month.  

Teenagers, bah.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 4:36 pm

Mishka has been terribly mouthy recently. I basically have to lock myself in a separate room for him to leave me alone. I find he's been extra whiney and vocal too.

I do see the neediness as well, Jeff. I can't sit at my computer for like 5 minutes to check my email without him trying to climb in my lap, which he is way too big for anyway.

We're going to go back to puppy class to reinforce training. And then in a few months I'm going to send him to boarding school for a week. I'm very curious to see how that works out.

seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 4:42 pm

yeah, Link has been whiney as well. Every time I grab my phone to text or sit at the computer he paws and cries. Thankfully he doesn't "bite" and his inhibition is excellent, but man, the teeth-on-skin is really bad right now.

It's obviously (to me) just a symptom of the general needyness phase right now. He is just desperate for attention. But walks and jogs with the pulling harness are really fun right now because he is so engaged and checking in with constant eye contact and he just seems so happy to please right now.

I don't necessarily miss the aloof puppy phases but this is borderline annoying, ha.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 5:01 pm

Let's trade until Diz hits that phase. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!   teenage - To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize! Empty

Back to top Go down

To all of you with teenage huskies... I sympathize!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next