It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tommyntpham
Newborn
Newborn
Tommyntpham

Male Join date : 2012-09-14

16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! Empty
PostSubject: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 11:34 pm

Long time lurker first time poster, So please don't be so harsh on me. Very Happy

Top 2 pictures are from when he was 9 weeks old. (Not sure how much he weighed at the time) All pics are in order from puppy to current.
16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! 15cer80
16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! 14wq7on
16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! Raq8og
16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! 5n3bcj
16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! 2vws4gk
^^^ last pic was literally just taken now. ^^^

This is Sam, he is currently 16.5 months old and less than two weeks ago he weighed in at 34.5 lbs give or take. i know that is considered incredibly underweight. he doesn't seem to look skinny..

He currently eats this 3 cups a day 1x and his poop is as solid as a rock:
http://www.amazon.com/Castor-Pollux-Organix-Grain-Free-Adult/dp/B004Y8TVN6

Sam was raised on bbw untill he turned one, and he just wasn't interested with it anymore so iv tried out a few brands people have been suggesting me to get but his poop would always come out like water like he just had wendys chili(lol).

Not sure if this info helps but he has been neutered since he was 8 months old. he is pretty active, his current flea meds are trifexis. i tend to not let him stay outside for too long when its hot out because i live in Tampa, FL and it can get pretty hot and humid down here sometimes. he has had mange for almost half of his life but now its at a point where its managable. my vet had been doing a mange dip biweekly for 4 months and his coat looks amazing now. and please if you have any questions please ask.. sorry for all the errors i just got home from a 14 hour shift at work. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
RabbleFox
Newborn
Newborn
RabbleFox

Female Join date : 2013-10-16

PostSubject: Re: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 12:21 am

He looks pretty good to me but the photos you supplied make it hard to tell.

Could you take a shot giving us a side view and a shot giving us a top view?

A dog is underweight, IMO, if you can see more than one rib. Can't feel ribs = fat dog. Can't see ribs = pet dog, ok condition. Can see faintly, one rib = primo condition. See distinctly, two or more ribs = underweight.
Back to top Go down
Tommyntpham
Newborn
Newborn
Tommyntpham

PostSubject: Re: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 12:31 am

Are these good?
16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! 2ds0bav
16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! I6h8wo
Back to top Go down
Tommyntpham
Newborn
Newborn
Tommyntpham

PostSubject: Re: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 12:33 am

16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! I6h8wo
Back to top Go down
RabbleFox
Newborn
Newborn
RabbleFox

PostSubject: Re: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 12:41 am

Yes! Its much easier to see.

He does seem a bit skinny. His tuck is a bit high and his rib cage slightly too visible for my liking. If it were me, I'd add in a bit of raw to supplement his diet. Since you've said that you tried switching him and it didn't work, I would add in just a tiny, tiny bit to start. You really don't want to upset his belly. Huskies are often pretty delicate in the tummy region. I'm going to sound like a broken record but, Satin Balls are great for putting weight on a dog. The recipe on Holistic Dog is the best, in my opinion.

Has your vet done any blood work or commented on his condition? There could be something internally that you are missing. Definitely ask your vet what he/she thinks. Its hard to tell from the photos (though they certainly help!) but you never know. Your vet might also suggest a supplement for you to try him.

P.S. He is very handsome! I absolutely love his color.
Back to top Go down
Tommyntpham
Newborn
Newborn
Tommyntpham

PostSubject: Re: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 12:50 am

His tuck was probably high from me holding onto his collar so he has a less chance of moving. Idk why he does that. I have asked my vet about his weight, and they haven't really told me to do anything about it. I'll give the satin balls a chance.
Back to top Go down
Tommyntpham
Newborn
Newborn
Tommyntpham

PostSubject: Re: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 12:53 am

And thanks. His coloring on his lower half looks a tad bit like an agouti to me.
Back to top Go down
RabbleFox
Newborn
Newborn
RabbleFox

PostSubject: Re: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 12:54 am

I'd speak with your vet first. Just to double check on everything. It might be expensive to do some blood work and get your vet's opinion but it saves money in the long run if there is something and you catch it early. Its much easier to treat something minor with pills than it is to treat something major with fluids and repeated vet visits and injections and etc, etc.

Some dogs "tense up" when being held in place. He basically contracted his abs. I love agouti Huskies. Its my favorite Husky color. Well... besides Tri-colored Huskies!
Back to top Go down
Tommyntpham
Newborn
Newborn
Tommyntpham

PostSubject: Re: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 12:57 am

I'll call them tomorrow and see how much it'll be. He's on a "wellness plan". Maybe his breeder will pay for it since they paid for his 4 months of mange dips and other medications.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RabbleFox
Newborn
Newborn
RabbleFox

PostSubject: Re: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 1:00 am

Tommyntpham wrote:
I'll call them tomorrow and see how much it'll be. He's on a "wellness plan". Maybe his breeder will pay for it since they paid for his 4 months of mange dips and other medications.. Very Happy
My goodness! Your boy has been through a lot already. Poor guy... good for your breeder, sticking up behind you and your dog. Not all breeders do that you know. Only the good ones!

You could also ask your breeder for advice. Perhaps she has an idea. Your dog, afterall, came from her dogs. Maybe momma or daddy dog is naturally a skinny minny and has to take a supplement.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 1:03 am

Personally, he looks fine to me. Although I can't get my hands on him, I would say he just needs to gain a few pounds. I wouldn't try anything like satin balls, just because you want weight gain to be slow and steady, and not giving him a bunch of calories at once. I'd increase his food just by 1/4 a cup. Again, slow and steady. Keep an eye on his stools after the increase. If his stools go soft then he would be getting too much, so you would want to go back down to 3 cups. I'd try to weigh him now and then in a about three weeks after the food increase if all goes well, and see if it helped.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 9:01 am

He looks perfectly normal to me. Don't go by numbers when determining whether a dog is a good weight. Dogs vary in size like people. Imagine if we held all people to the same weight standard regardless of their physical condition or body size...you just can't do it.

Also keep in mind that he's right at that age where huskies typically go through a very lean and lanky stage which is completely normal and nothing to worry about.

Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 12:25 pm

He looks good to me, looks a lot like my Sophie.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 12:57 pm

He does look a little skinny from the top view, but nothing a few pounds can't fix. Satin balls are for packing on a lot of pounds extremely fast. We're talking about 5-10 pounds in a few weeks. It's sound advice, just not for this situation. Satin balls are more for the malnourished and abandoned dogs (i.e. showing hips, every rib is visible, etc).

I would do what Megan said and just add 1/4 cup to his meal, twice a day.
Back to top Go down
RabbleFox
Newborn
Newborn
RabbleFox

PostSubject: Re: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 1:03 pm

I've heard of them being used seasonally for when/if the dog goes underweight during training or showing and such. Pardon me for not giving sound advice! Eek! I've had them recommended to me in very small/supplemental amounts for Bae as he is a tad on the bony side for me. Kind of like a meal topper.

In leu of what the others have said, just add a bit more kibble. XD
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 4:24 pm

I don't think he looks too bad honestly. He looks a lot like my oldest who just doesn't really put on weight, but I think for him it's due to being mostly sled lines in his pedigree. Last summer he went down to about 48lbs and now he's back up to 55lb.
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

Female Join date : 2013-06-20

PostSubject: Re: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 4:29 pm

He looks good to me too. My Gus is very underweight right now, and we are still working on this.

I think i read that huskies fill out between the age of 1yr and 2yrs old. So he still has some time to really fill out until he's an adult.

Is he a tall husky? He might just be a smaller husky. I think that as long as he's not losing weight, and he is still eating and pooping well, energy levels are good, then you shouldn't worry too much.

Love that first picture! what a cute puppy belly!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 7:35 pm

Your pup looks good to me..

I got Kerian at about 2 years of age and she only weight 32 lbs she is not 3 plus years and weight 52 lbs I think she is about 5-7 lbs to heavy for her build.  

They do fill out a lot between 1 and 3 years of age..

We got Blaze at 9 months of age he weight about 35 lbs and he is now 3 year old and weights about 59 lbs he really fill out the last year in fact I think he may have filled out too much.. lol
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 9:57 pm

I agree with others, he seems to be a good weight. Maybe just a couple lbs is needed.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 10:42 pm

Echoing others... He doesn't seem too bad to me... Also, huskies don't fully mature until about 2 (sometimes even 3) years... He's got a good while to fill out, so don't worry about it too much. Smile If the visual guidelines in the first response are met, then you're good. Smile
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 11:04 am

I think he looks great! He probably just burns calories quickly, being a puppy that's normal. I wouldn't let him get any smaller though. Just make sure he's eating a good quality food Smile
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 4:40 pm

I agree, he looks good to me. I wouldnt stress about it, everyone has their opinions on my dogs too saying they are too small or skinny. Trust me they eat and eat a good food, the breed is not meant to be a huge dog.
Back to top Go down
Tommyntpham
Newborn
Newborn
Tommyntpham

PostSubject: Re: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 1:55 am

thanks everyone for your input. for his height.. hes about 22-23 inches tall from his shoulders. he doesn't always eat 3 cups a day sometimes 2, sometimes none.. he loves frozen veggies though. he'll eat those like crazy.. when he was a puppy he would eat nonstop like 5-6 cups a day. until he lost his taste for bbw, everything changed..
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 9:35 am

I've heard its pretty normal for their appetite to lessen as they leave the puppy stage and get a little older. I agree with everyone else though, I think he looks fantastic. Smile Very beautiful pup! You could always add a little raw in if you'd like to. I feed my guy half raw, half kibble. Kibble first thing in the morning, raw 12 hours later. He gets 2/3-1 cup kibble and 1/4-1/2 lb raw. Once his kibble runs out, I'll be switching to 100% raw though. Smile If you're curious, check out the raw feeding threads/stickies under the nutrition section of the forum.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!   16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight! Empty

Back to top Go down

16.5 month old male husky SERIOUSLY underweight!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1