It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

rant but could also use advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

Male Join date : 2013-07-08

rant but could also use advice Empty
PostSubject: rant but could also use advice   rant but could also use advice EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 11:18 am

alright so rikku is definitely beginning her teenage stage and is regressing and driving us up the wall...

she is eliminating in the house both poop and pee, when we were having no issues for a month or so. we are letting her out every hour on the hour and she is continuing to go in the house. we clean every spot with natures miracle to help eliminate the odor. now its to the point she is on leash inside the house because she cant be trusted. when she is on the leash in the house she wines and cries non stop and loudly. has anyone else had this issue with regressing and what did you do about it and how long did it seem to last for you?

she also is not aloud out side anymore with out being on a leash. we have a fence so she cant escape, but she will not come in any more. she will just run from you and digs holes all over and it takes 30-45 mins to get her inside. twice a day we take her out for just play time where we play fetch and chase her around and run from her so that everytime she goes out its not just strictly for potty time. we also take her on one long walk everynight and 3-4 times a week she gets a walk early in the morning. we also take her to the dog park once a week and or at least a play date with another puppy.

more less i am frustrated that we have to keep her on leash inside the house and outside in a fenced in yard

any experience with this and how long it lasted with you or any other advice in general would be great! thanks
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: rant but could also use advice   rant but could also use advice EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 11:37 am

The second part is just normal teenage husky, but I don't know that regressing and forgetting potty training is normal, especially where it sounds like nothing has changed in her life. I would go get that checked out to rule out any medical issues.

When you want to get her inside, stand at the door and call her. Give her a treat when she comes, something that she really loves and just get into a routine with doing that and she will eventually learn to come inside when being called that way rather than take forever. and don't move or chase her, that only makes it fun.
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

PostSubject: Re: rant but could also use advice   rant but could also use advice EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 11:46 am

siku&nikolai wrote:
The second part is just normal teenage husky, but I don't know that regressing and forgetting potty training is normal, especially where it sounds like nothing has changed in her life. I would go get that checked out to rule out any medical issues.

When you want to get her inside, stand at the door and call her. Give her a treat when she comes, something that she really loves and just get into a routine with doing that and she will eventually learn to come inside when being called that way rather than take forever. and don't move or chase her, that only makes it fun.
Sorry i forgot to mention, that i we just took care of the vet visit, pee and poo came out fine and dandy.

and im not sure how clear i was on her eliminating in the house. the peeing is about one time a day she will do it, sometimes twice. pooping is been every couple days.

also we always reinforce her behavior when coming inside by, if she comes in when told, she gets a couple of her beloved treats, but its like she doesnt care for them when it comes to this "im not coming inside you have to catch me" thing lol... no matter what food i bring out she doesnt care for it
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: rant but could also use advice   rant but could also use advice EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 11:51 am

does she always like to be near you? Like if you just shut the door and kind of watched her in the yard, would she then want to come inside if you weren't there with her?

If everything is fine medically, that is really strange and I'm out of advice on that one!
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: rant but could also use advice   rant but could also use advice EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 12:00 pm

moto1087 wrote:
alright so rikku is definitely beginning her teenage stage and is regressing and driving us up the wall...

she is eliminating in the house both poop and pee, when we were having no issues for a month or so. we are letting her out every hour on the hour and she is continuing to go in the house. we clean every spot with natures miracle to help eliminate the odor. now its to the point she is on leash inside the house because she cant be trusted. when she is on the leash in the house she wines and cries non stop and loudly. has anyone else had this issue with regressing and what did you do about it and how long did it seem to last for you?

she also is not aloud out side anymore with out being on a leash. we have a fence so she cant escape, but she will not come in any more. she will just run from you and digs holes all over and it takes 30-45 mins to get her inside. twice a day we take her out for just play time where we play fetch and chase her around and run from her so that everytime she goes out its not just strictly for potty time. we also take her on one long walk everynight and 3-4 times a week she gets a walk early in the morning. we also take her to the dog park once a week and or at least a play date with another puppy.

more less i am frustrated that we have to keep her on leash inside the house and outside in a fenced in yard

any experience with this and how long it lasted with you or any other advice in general would be great! thanks

Ooooh, you are describing my Juneau. When she was younger, she would NOT come inside when I would call her. Even if I had treats. Naturally, I would get frustrated for her not listening to me right that second. I used to go out into the yard (not chase) and point at the door and sternly tell her to go inside. That method never worked. Sometimes it took me up to 15 mins to get her to come inside. I was livid lol.

Here's what works for us. I use the Sargentino (or something like that) cheese sticks. I cut off a slice for her and she goes nuts for them. I also eat cheez-its during lunch and give her a few pieces. If I stand at the door and open the box and start eating, she comes running to the door without even having to call her. Sometimes when I call her inside, she literally LAYS DOWN and stares at me. OMG, I get so frustrated when she does that. I still haven't figured out how to get around that one.

For the peeing inside thing, I'm sorry to hear that. Just keep her tethered to you and be more stubborn than her. Make sure she knows that peeing/pooping in the house is bad.

Good luck! And welcome to the teenage phase... lol. Try to build more patience for this phase. We've all been there.
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

PostSubject: Re: rant but could also use advice   rant but could also use advice EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 12:12 pm

if we are inside the house, she always has to know where i am. she doesnt necesarley need to be next to me but if i go from one room to another she will follow me around until i sit down once i sit, she will go do her own thing until she heres me move again then shell come make sure im still in the same spot lol... but when she is out side, she doesnt care because she knows im inside, even if i shut the door and move out of sight. i might be able to to walk out the gate door outside where she can see that im leaving her and see what that does for her. any other fenced in yard she will not leave my side, like at the dog park i went there with my buddy and his pup, and i had to go use the bathroom so he kept an eye on her and the second i left the fenced in area she was crying and digging trying to get under the fence to get to me. but for some odd reason in our yard she feels safe enough on her own where she doesnt have to be next me or care if i leave
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

PostSubject: Re: rant but could also use advice   rant but could also use advice EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 12:16 pm

VintageJeans wrote:

Ooooh, you are describing my Juneau.  When she was younger, she would NOT come inside when I would call her.  Even if I had treats.  Naturally, I would get frustrated for her not listening to me right that second.  I used to go out into the yard (not chase) and point at the door and sternly tell her to go inside.  That method never worked.  Sometimes it took me up to 15 mins to get her to come inside.  I was livid lol.  

Here's what works for us.  I use the Sargentino (or something like that) cheese sticks.  I cut off a slice for her and she goes nuts for them.  I also eat cheez-its during lunch and give her a few pieces.  If I stand at the door and open the box and start eating, she comes running to the door without even having to call her.  Sometimes when I call her inside, she literally LAYS DOWN and stares at me.  OMG, I get so frustrated when she does that.  I still haven't figured out how to get around that one.

For the peeing inside thing, I'm sorry to hear that.  Just keep her tethered to you and be more stubborn than her.  Make sure she knows that peeing/pooping in the house is bad.

Good luck!  And welcome to the teenage phase... lol.  Try to build more patience for this phase.  We've all been there.
sounds like i need to find her a treat that she likes more then the one i thought she already loved drunken lol....

i guess for everything else, that ill just count my blessings that she has yet to chew any thing up, with the exception of papers... basically if its on the ground its hers, everything else she leaves alone.....knock on wood!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: rant but could also use advice   rant but could also use advice EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 12:24 pm

Dizzy, at times, will refuse to go up the stairs into the apartment. I think he's just having too much fun on our walk and isn't ready to come in. So, as Jackie suggested, I just always have something super yummy. I use string cheese, easy cheese, beef jerky, or bacon jerky. One rattle of the wrapper, and his attitude instantly turns around.

Dizzy didn't regress with potty training, although he did attempt to mark in the apartment one time. He got in huge trouble. I instinctively slapped his leg as he lifted it, yelled at him, and put him in timeout. He hasn't attempted that since, and he hasn't pooped in the house since he was about 4 months old. I would suggest just treating her potty training the same way you did when she was really little, she should lose all privileges and freedom around the house until she catches on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: rant but could also use advice   rant but could also use advice Empty

Back to top Go down

rant but could also use advice

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1