It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden..

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

Seizures - Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden.. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden..   Seizures - Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden.. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 12:47 pm

So sorry to hear that Sad Since Yukon has been on the PB, he hasn't had another seizure, so we have been lucky in that aspect. I really hope they can get the dosage right so she doesn't have anymore. It is heartbreaking to watch and know that there isn't anything you can do Sad
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden..   Seizures - Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden.. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 3:30 pm

Ugh, I'm sorry you're having breakthroughs on the PB. You may need to consider adding another med to the mix like we did with Shadow. Have you talked to your vet yet? Two seizures that close together along with the mini ones isn't good.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Seizures - Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden.. - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Decuervo
Puppy
Puppy
Decuervo

PostSubject: Re: Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden..   Seizures - Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden.. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 9:59 pm

Talked to the vet and her blood work showed the 60 mg isn't quite enough to keep her at therapeutic levels. So we're going to try a slightly higher dosage. He's as confused as me about the timing of the seizures every 20-24 days. He asked me about anything that went on at that time. At the cost of being "too much information man" I told him that Anushka's seizures were timed with my wifes menstrual cycle. Don't think he'd thought of that. I doubt one has anything to do with the other and he had nothing to say to the contrary. Actually he didn't have anything to say for a couple of minutes which was pretty funny watching him be uncomfortable. Oh well....here's to hoping the new dosage works!
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden..   Seizures - Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden.. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 10:35 pm

Hopefully that works! I know that Yukon is on 92MG per day and he hasn't had a seizure since. He had 3 the weekend of November 7th and that's been all.
Back to top Go down
Cyberpup
Puppy
Puppy
Cyberpup

Male Join date : 2013-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden..   Seizures - Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden.. - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 12:21 am

Chris, Meredith and Jason

I am also part of this unfortunate club. Our little red sibe Lyra also has epilepsy.  Lyra's experience is not unlike Yukon's or Anushka's in that she started having seizures when she was a bit over a year old, and there was no other apparent cause in an otherwise perfectly healthy dog. Her neurologist started her on Keppra, then added KBr, and most recently PB. Unfortunately epilepsy is unpredictable, and meds that work at first may stop working. For what it's worth, the full moon appears to be her trigger. If one can find any humor in all this, we have a werepuppy  Smile .

Cheers,
Kevin
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden..   Seizures - Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden.. - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 1:37 am

Ugh, sorry to hear that Kevin. Have you looked into zonisimide as an option? Also, if you're not already you should have Lyra on Denamarin or some other liver supplement. At least you've been able to find a trigger.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Seizures - Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden.. - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Decuervo
Puppy
Puppy
Decuervo

PostSubject: Re: Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden..   Seizures - Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden.. - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 7:28 am

We made it 5 weeks without a seizure. Got home from work tonight and there was no doubt she'd had a couple. Wife and kids are on vacation this week for a family reunion so she was home alone with Gretchen (goofy German Shepherd) until 3am. May as well get used to the fact that they won't be controlled completely. Maybe a part of it was separation anxiety at being alone for so long. I dunno.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden..   Seizures - Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden.. - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 12:45 pm

Ugh, sorry Chris. Shadow's 6 month streak was broken this morning too. She had a small focal right after her morning meds. I really hope that this was because I screwed up and slept through my alarm and not a sign that something needs to be adjusted.

Keep your head up though, 5 weeks is really good for a lot of epileptic dogs. Here's to another 5 weeks and even longer this time Smile

Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden..   Seizures - Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden.. - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 2:36 pm

Back to what blueeyedghost said about liver. My shepherd mix stopped her seizures and went off PB after getting very ill and showing liver issues. Since that time we only give her Denosyl now for her liver and she has been seizure free after 2 years. She had been treated for 7-8 years on PB. The tests never showed liver issues early on but all I can do is assume it was liver issues that were not detected given denosyl helped her a lot.
Back to top Go down
Decuervo
Puppy
Puppy
Decuervo

PostSubject: Re: Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden..   Seizures - Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden.. - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 7:05 pm

Sorry to hear about Shadow's set back. Hopefully it's over. I know Anushka won't have anymore for at least 3-4 weeks if she keeps to schedule. We get denosyl from Drs. Foster and Smith. The lowest prices I have found. I was working a DWI and couldn't get home at 8pm to get her the pheno til 840 or so. This may well have been the reason.

The only other thing I can think of that we did different the day of the seizures is eating eggs for breakfast. I cooked us both eggs because we went for a pretty long run. The last time she had eggs was a day or so before her last episode. May just be coincidence, or not. Regardless eggs (by themselves and not an ingredient) are off the table for her now. The only other change is that the rest of her human family is gone. She had her first seizure when I was gone for a week at an out of town school. Perhaps it's a separation anxiety issue? If so it's mental and there's nothing I can do for that. Then in the months between October and now we've all been home so that theory doesn't fly either. My other theory about the cause is obviously false as well since that time has passed. I'm not giving up on finding a trigger. It's only been 5 months though it feels like forever.

Right now she's under my desk with her head resting on my foot. Best fur daughter ever.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden..   Seizures - Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 1:04 pm

Sorry to hear about the setbacks Sad Luckily Yukon hasn't had any seizures since he has been on the meds, so it has been about 4 months so far.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden..   Seizures - Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 4:37 pm

Omg, whats up with all our babies having seizures?!  Sad 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden..   Seizures - Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden.. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Anushka is having seizures all of a sudden..

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2