It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF.....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF..... Empty
PostSubject: AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF.....    AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF..... EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 11:50 pm

So I was asked to join this "wolf group" on Facebook. It was pretty much an informative group, showing you and teaching you what is part wolf and what is not.

Well, they started bashing AKC Breeders saying they were very snobby people and saying some really horrible stuff about AKC Breeders. Also, on top of all of this they started ranting on how breeders should not have OFA and CERF certifications. That they mean nothing at all. It was a waste of money.

If some of you don't know, I am a AKC Alaskan Malamute breeder and my female does have all these certifications. She came back with good eyes, and with her hips and elbows came back excellent. Yes, I am very new to this and doing the best I can without being labeled as a BYB. Very last thing I want. I believe with everything I have provided for my girl, I know with out a shadow of a dought this is something I am not.

Anyways, have any other breeders had this problem? Is OFA and CERF a waste of money? Are these people crazy and just wrong? Since I do not have a male I have to pay for stud fees. I know when I was looking for a stud I had to to provide all these documentations to the other breeder before they even thought of me doing this with their males.

These people have to be crazy!!Shocked 
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF.....    AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF..... EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 11:56 pm

Sound like those rescue case people to me, where every breeder is horrible and evil and only wants to make money and abuse their dogs. I'd just ignore it personally, I've tried pointing out to them that reputable breeders do not make profit off of their litters and it all goes back into their dogs and fees and testing, but they never listen.
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

PostSubject: Re: AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF.....    AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF..... EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 12:15 am

Ok, that's what I thought. I have learned so much from here and I get on this other group and WOW! It just amazes me on what all they just had to say about breeders... But, they were breeding high percentage wolf huskies/ mals... Just think i am going to delete myself from the group and the drama.  AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF..... 1347041234 
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF.....    AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF..... EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 12:22 am

My thoughts exactly. Overzealously pro rescue folks who are anti pure bred dogs whatsoever will obviously find no value in efforts to assure higher quality and better health in pure bred dogs.

The issue is very interesting and extremely polarizing, but so long as we find any value in keeping pure bred dogs around we need breeders who do these testings.

People don't realize that if more breeders were in fact ethical and responsible that would be a good way of hacking away at the problem of overcrowded pounds and rescues in the first place.

But again, the premise " pure bred dogs are worth keeping" is really the hot seat debate.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

PostSubject: Re: AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF.....    AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF..... EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 12:30 am

Agree, It is a very hot topic to talk about. Just amazed me though on what they had to say. By all means there is nothing wrong with shelter dogs, Micole is one (husky).

BTW, Link is a very looking guy. We both got our pups about the same time and I have been watching him grow. It has been a while since I have been on here because of school and work. But, WOW! you have a very handsome guy on your hands. He has grown up to very nice looking.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF.....    AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF..... EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 1:12 am

Thanks Amy, we couldn't be happier with how he has grown and developed so far. He's shaping up to be perfectly in standard and a very good dog to boot. I update his scrapbook very regularly if you haven't checked it out recently . Tons of pics.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

PostSubject: Re: AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF.....    AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF..... EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 2:01 am

I will check him out fore sure!!
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF.....    AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF..... EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 2:24 am

Well I'm just going to say it doesn't matter what 'group' they come from people of all 'groups' are crazy. My (former) *breed* mentor slammed into my head that any dog I planned to breed needed to have OFA hips, multiple consecutive CERF/SHOR eye exams, burcellosis testing prior to breeding. Then I find out that they don't even do hip testing and that there was no need since they knew their lines so well it would never happen that they would produce bad hips and that they had running dogs so you can see bad hips on the trail. I guess what you don't know can't hurt anyone right.

Either way I'm going to continue to health test my dogs and require the same of anyone inquiring to breed to any of my dogs-
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF.....    AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF..... EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 10:02 am

It doesn't sound as if they are anti-breeder if they are breeding hybrids. It just sounds like to me, that since they can't register their dogs with the AKC, they look down on the whole process of what is commonly referred to as a reputable breeder. I guess they figure why bother testing if they can't register the puppies anyway, although I totally disagree with that logic. Lani, it's interesting you say that about your breeder not hip testing, my breeder said the same thing about her lines and HD (although, she doesn't run dogs). She tends to only test the dogs she brings in from outside her breeding program, but she does eye test every dog.
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF.....    AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF..... EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 10:16 am

Just as a check, isn't OFA and CERF more or less a breeders tool to help in picking dams and sires (sorry, still a farmer) that have the least possibility of passing on bad eye and skeletal problems?
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF.....    AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF..... EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 11:23 am

Personally I would remove myself from their drama. I find that people who are strongly anti-AKC are usually grossly uninformed and attempts to educate fall on deaf ears.
Just curious, if they are breeding hybrids, what steps do they take to insure the pups are healthy and placed into proper homes? I see a *lot* of hybrids bring rehomed in my state because people bought one without knowing what they were getting in to. Since there's no specific breed to improve upon (the goal of hobby/show/racing, etc people), are they just trying to make a buck? IMO, that makes them no better than BYB and mills.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF.....    AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF..... EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 11:31 am

wpskier222 wrote:
It doesn't sound as if they are anti-breeder if they are breeding hybrids. It just sounds like to me, that since they can't register their dogs with the AKC, they look down on the whole process of what is commonly referred to as a reputable breeder. I guess they figure why bother testing if they can't register the puppies anyway, although I totally disagree with that logic.

That's exactly what I was thinking. It really, really doesn't sound like a rescue group. I've gotten into FB "debates" before with people that's probably in this group. They say that all they need to do is take their dog to the vet, do a basic physical exam, and that's the end of it - those dogs will be bred. They have no interest in showing and/or working their dogs, and health testing. Oh well, you can't fix stupid. There was even a chick who bred low-content wolfdogs and wanted to get them into the ring "eventually" and take the show world "by storm"  AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF..... 1625187496 

I'd say to leave that group - they're no good for you. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF.....    AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF..... EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 11:37 am

To note, I wasn't trying to say that they were a rescue case. I was going off my experience, where I encountered a group of people who were all anti breeder pro rescue and as I said in my first post, they think all breeders are evil regardless of health testing or temperament testing. It doesn't matter what they support or protest, they refuse to see the good in the other side. In this case, a byb who refuses to see the good in health testing and AKC registration because of a negative experience they've had with it (not being able to register, not wanting to spend money on health testing, whatever the case may be). I have not had experience with such an extreme byb though so I preferred to use my experience with the rescue groups.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF.....    AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF..... EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 2:29 pm

It's probably a group of BYB's who want to feel good about themselves.

IMO, OFA & CERF is important because it shows that someone is willing to put the work in for their breed.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

PostSubject: Re: AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF.....    AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF..... EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 8:32 pm

Yes I have deleted them to get out of the drama. This morning before work I saw a lot of them say some bad things about huskies and how people should not be breeding them. That they are horrible dogs  Shocked Don't get me wrong.. my female husky is bat shit crazy... she is balls to the walls a lot, but she is not a horrible dog. That was my last straw and got away from it all.

What I don't understand is they talk all this shit about huskies and breeding them... but more than half are part husky!! That's how they get their "wolf dog mutt".

I don't understand what goes threw peoples heads sometimes. They try to act like they know everything and no... no they don't.

anyways, thank you everyone for chiming in. It just blew my mind on them saying about the OFA testing and how their dogs are so perfect but yet, they are illegal in most states.. Isn't their a reason for that..  AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF..... 1625187496 
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF.....    AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF..... EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 8:46 pm

Oh one of them started spewing this exact same stuff in another one of my husky groups on FB- I almost had to laugh thinking back to this post. How ignorant these people are- it's just because they don't want to cut into their profits and proof their breeding stock or fear their dogs would be documented as not breedable candidates.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF.....    AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF..... EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 1:33 am

Ew Facebook drama. Just back away slowly and ignore them while possibly going to a safer, slightly more abandoned site like Myspace for awhile. Razz

Seriously though it would probably be best just to leave the group. They're going to hold on to their opinions no matter what. Confronting them most likely wouldn't do anything at all and would only make you anxious/angry for days if not weeks. Internet debates are a messy business that almost always end in disaster anyways so why bother? xD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF.....    AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF..... Empty

Back to top Go down

AKC Breeders with OFA and CERF.....

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1