It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Christmas Present for Huskies?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

Christmas Present for Huskies? Empty
PostSubject: Christmas Present for Huskies?   Christmas Present for Huskies? EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 7:16 pm

I can only ask this of what others call "dog obsessed" people.

I want to give Bodi something for Christmas, and I don't want it to be a lot of junk to eat.
Been there, done that with the his being sick after.

Do any of you have a suggestion for something that would be healthy and take him a long time to chew?
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Present for Huskies?   Christmas Present for Huskies? EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 7:17 pm

Antlers?
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Present for Huskies?   Christmas Present for Huskies? EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 7:25 pm

Agreed. I love antlers. You could also invest in raw bones. We prefer Elk and Moose antlers over deer. Deer antlers are hard and brittle; not good for prolonged chewing IMO. I don't know if you are on FB or not, but there are a couple companies on there I get my antlers from; Got Antlers? and Montana Antler and Dog Supply. Love both of them!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Present for Huskies?   Christmas Present for Huskies? EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 7:27 pm

http://www.americanantlerdogchews.com/ These are naturally shed antlers found and donated by boy scouts.
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Present for Huskies?   Christmas Present for Huskies? EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 10:25 am

How are the ones petsmart sells? are they safe as far as funny chemicals and junk like the jerky treats?
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Present for Huskies?   Christmas Present for Huskies? EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 10:44 am

My vote is for a moose antler as well, they are STRONG and although expensive mine have lasted for almost a year now and I just sometimes soak them in chicken broth to make them want to chew on them again. I know there are a lot of companies out there but I would do one that is naturally shed, that way you know there is nothing added.

I love Acadia Antlers they come from Maine, and they are amazing. You can order them online at:
http://www.acadiaantlers.com/

I would do the moose shovel or the pitbull paccifer from them. They last forever, and they are a great company. I think they range from like $40-$60.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Present for Huskies?   Christmas Present for Huskies? EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 1:20 pm

Hughie wrote:
How are the ones petsmart sells? are they safe as far as funny chemicals and junk like the jerky treats?

The ones at PetSmart are way overpriced for just one antler. Most of the companies we've mentioned sell a bundle of antlers for the price of one at PetSmart. I don't know this for a fact as I've never bought them, but I can only guess the quality isn't as good, either. Moral of the story; I wouldn't recommend buying from there.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Present for Huskies?   Christmas Present for Huskies? EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 1:23 pm

Hughie wrote:

My friend bought those from Petsmart when I told her about antlers thinking that was the same thing as the one that I got. The inside looked totally weird (like not what it should) and I would never feel comfertable purchasing one there. She then bought several at the Acadia Antlers and her bernese mountain dogs loves them!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Present for Huskies?   Christmas Present for Huskies? EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 3:12 pm

Just be careful with antlers because they can chip teeth with them being very hard.

You can give a smoked beef knuckle bone (they're huge)!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150194532711552&set=pb.823006551.-2207520000.1387562808.&type=3&theater

Or a beef femur bone...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151163907946552&set=pb.823006551.-2207520000.1387562407.&type=3&theater

That should last a while and they are not as hard as antlers.

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Present for Huskies?   Christmas Present for Huskies? Empty

Back to top Go down

Christmas Present for Huskies?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1