It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Yet another crate training thread!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mollybear
Newborn
Newborn
mollybear

Female Join date : 2014-04-10

Yet another crate training thread! Empty
PostSubject: Yet another crate training thread!   Yet another crate training thread! EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 5:51 pm

Hi all, to begin I apologize but this is very descriptive and long winded!

So I've read pretty much every crate training thread thusfar, and I'm in the midst of getting my pup used to it(she's going to be 3 months this week). My partner & I have had Molly for almost 3 weeks now, and we have been working on crate training pretty much since the second night having her home. As far as I can tell, it feels like we are not making much progress, she is only interested in treats when in the crate (she has a stuffed kong, teething bones, a bunch of toys and her water dish and blankie), once she finds all of the treats she whines and WHINES, the longest I was able to get her to stay quietly while not in the room is 20 minutes, which I suppose is pretty good, with another 10 of whining, and I let her out when there was a break in whining. I assume that the 20 minutes was due to her being occupied by the kong.

Same thing happens even out of crate, if I leave to go to the bathroom with her in our bedroom she wails and whines, and it does not matter if i wait for her to quiet when I come in, she does it every single time. Now when I try to slip out as she naps, she wakes up immediately! I have been home, unemployed, with her this whole time and I'm afraid of her developing separation anxiety because I NEED to begin looking for work soon, and it's to the point where I feel I can barely shower every day because she freaks out, and I rarely leave the house unless my partner gets home from work. :/

Should I be more militant with leaving her in the crate and letting her whine it out until she settles down with a toy? She doesn't get too destructive in our room at night (we've only lost a phone charger) so we let her sleep on the floor, but should we try the method of getting her to sleep in there and cry it out for a night or two as other people have mentioned? Or just continue with the small intervals and have that be my main training focus for the next few days?

Also, she is not fully vaccinated (has two parvo shots), and so I haven't brought her to walk/exercise off the property, I figure this may have some to do with her restlessness in the crate...I run with her on leash in the yard but I don't know if it's enough, although I do also worry about stressing her bones and such since she's so young, but should I wait to bring her to walk until her next round of shots? I feel like she's so restless and bored some of the time and I feel horrible about that. :/

Any advice or anecdotes are appreciated if you made it through this whole thing!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Yet another crate training thread!   Yet another crate training thread! EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 6:10 pm

What is your reaction when she whines, what do you do?
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
mollybear
Newborn
Newborn
mollybear

Female Join date : 2014-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Yet another crate training thread!   Yet another crate training thread! EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 6:21 pm

normally I ignore her, if I'm inside or outside of the room,until she stops. If I'm outside, I will usually wait for a few seconds of silence and enter, and either go about my business or give her a quick pet that's super low key. I would want to give her praise at being quiet but I don't know if that will up the anxiousness at her waiting for me to return. While in the crate I usually do the same, or I try to give her a command and then let her out; if the command doesn't work I wait for her to stop whining and let her out with minimal fuss. I have also never used the crate as a time out spot or to punish, and have given her plenty of praise, treats and pets for stepping foot in there. She's become quite the talker, and has also taken to whining even when laying down, or jumping at the door when i know full well she doesn't need to relieve herself but won't take teething toys or play with me inside...I feel like she's just trying to trick me into getting what she wants...clever beasts
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yet another crate training thread!   Yet another crate training thread! Empty

Back to top Go down

Yet another crate training thread!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1