It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Does Husky = No Barking?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

Does Husky = No Barking? Empty
PostSubject: Does Husky = No Barking?   Does Husky = No Barking? EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 8:11 pm

As my other two dogs get older, there is talks of future puppy. My SO is obsessed with Loki. We believe he is husky, but he is rescue so we are not sure. What I do know is Loki almost never barks. He only barks usually at my other dog when they are playing in bark yard. He does not bark at people walking by, ringing my doorbell, or coming into my house. He is talkative and will woo at us and he talks back. So, my SO loves the no barking part. He also is amused at how Loki talks back to him and grumbles about things. Is this normal type husky behavior? When I look up breeds that don't bark much, huskies are not listed. Just curious how many people's huskies rarely bark. If it wasn't for playing with my dog Lexi where he barks like once a month, I swear I would never have heard him bark.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Does Husky = No Barking?   Does Husky = No Barking? EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 8:27 pm

Kenzi only talks when she's playing. I posted a video of it in her scrapbook. She sasses my husband too. Other than that she doesn't say a word unless radioactive is in the radio. Also a video that can be found in her scrapbook. She's pretty quiet.

Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Does Husky = No Barking?   Does Husky = No Barking? EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 9:18 pm

Mishka doesn't bark a ton either. My parrot is more of a lookout than he is when it comes to alerting us if someone is here. He doesn't bark at people walking by or other dogs, etc. But he does grumble and will bark at me if he's not getting his way, but it's not like a normal dog bark. Lol.

Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Does Husky = No Barking?   Does Husky = No Barking? EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 9:25 pm

Luci barked a ton as a puppy, and I mean a ton! Eventually (around a year old) she started 'talking' more and barking less. Now (19 months) she only barks when we ignore her grumbling.
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Does Husky = No Barking?   Does Husky = No Barking? EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 10:03 pm

Okami is a selective barker. She will pretty much bark everytime she sees someone walk/drive into our driveway. They say huskies aren't guard dogs, but that rare trait seems to have been gifted to her. Also when ever someone that is not me, my husband or my daughter, walks into my bedroom she will bark, again guard dog trait. There is also the doorbell and someone knocking she will howl-bark..Other than that, sometimes she growl barks when playing... she will sometimes bark if she notices my neighbor walking her boyfriend "Beau" (a dog Okami gets hackles evertime they play from super excitement.) However she will not bark at other things that would make most other dogs nuts. For example, a neighbor across our yard has a golden noodle that barks constantly, and when ever Okami looks at him, she just looks at him like he is stupid, then minds her own business.... I have never heard her make much of a peep at a dog park ever. She just plays and runs the whole time.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Does Husky = No Barking?   Does Husky = No Barking? EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 12:20 am

The no barking thing is one of my favorite thing about the breed - as is the sassy woo-woo back talk Laughing I hate barking dogs and so choose the siberian husky because most of them do not bark.(not all...the one 2 miles down the road barks when you approach the driveway Mad ) Notice, I did not say they don't howl...
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Does Husky = No Barking?   Does Husky = No Barking? EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 1:18 am

So when I tell people I have a Sibe, they say "oh, well I bet he's a talker isn't he?" To which I reply "no, he's actually very quiet." He is. I can leave Paw Paw and Beowulf outside all day, and no one (neighbors, dog walkers, etc.) would know that they're there. My GSDs on the other hand, I think 5 minutes is the record before there's at least one bark at something...anything: grass growing, wind blowing, clouds passing, so on and so forth. Haha! (and yes, I'm exaggerating, and continue to work with them and their training to NOT bark)

It is great to have such quiet Sibes, so I'm normally baffled when people tell me how noisey Sibes are known to be. I once joined a Husky club just to get myself around other Sibe owners. The people were very nice, and they seemed to all be show dog people. As I got to know them better from attending meetings, I found out that it was common to have their Siberian's vocal cords surgically removed so they were not too talkative when it was time to feed them. From what they told me, the neighbors would complain that their dogs were disturbing the peace, so the quieted them by getting surgery done. That's when I think I stopped attending meetings. So strange.

Last edited by counter on Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Does Husky = No Barking?   Does Husky = No Barking? EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 1:21 am

Lycus also doesn't bark. He is extremely talkative when you talk to him as well, but other than that, he is a quiet dog. It's also one of my favorite things about the breed. I hate it when dogs bark at everything. My moms poodle mix is that way and it can be annoying at times.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Does Husky = No Barking?   Does Husky = No Barking? EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 2:19 am

Miya has been a howler(woo-wooer as Amy says) and a back talker, lol. She never knew how to bark until she started playing with dogs that bark. If she does bark, it's a weird combo bark/howl or bark/talk. She also tries very hard to communicate with the cat since she's a howler/talker too. It's rather sweet, Miya digs deep too find the highest pitch woo(not woo-woo), when talking to the kitty. Needless to say, my house is rarely quiet, but she rarely barks like the yappers(small dogs, hound dogs, etc.). Miya is also a guard dog, she stands between me and the door if someone knocks, but is completely silent.
Back to top Go down
kylah2013
Teenager
Teenager
kylah2013

Female Join date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Does Husky = No Barking?   Does Husky = No Barking? EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 9:48 am

Kylah only barks when she needs something, shes pretty quiet and I love it.
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Male Join date : 2013-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Does Husky = No Barking?   Does Husky = No Barking? EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 10:11 am

Nala is pretty quite unless we are playing or she sees someone in the neighbors yard
Back to top Go down
tolbert.chad
Newborn
Newborn
tolbert.chad

Male Join date : 2014-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Does Husky = No Barking?   Does Husky = No Barking? EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 2:25 pm

Both of mine are very quiet unless they are playing. Beyond that I lose them in the house sometimes very easily and 2 quiet huskies are never a good thing.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Does Husky = No Barking?   Does Husky = No Barking? EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 3:30 pm

tolbert.chad wrote:
Both of mine are very quiet unless they are playing. Beyond that I lose them in the house sometimes very easily and 2 quiet huskies are never a good thing.

Very true...my dad used to have a saying that I've modified:
Boy(husky) with something to do, he's busy. Boy(husky) with nothing to do - he's busy, too! affraid 
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Does Husky = No Barking?   Does Husky = No Barking? EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 9:50 pm

Orion is a chatterbox - provided there is someone to chatter to. He is outside during the day and doesn't make a peep when people walk past, the postman comes, my nice neighbors quite often pop down the driveway to talk to him etc. He will howl at one of my neighbors when he see's her but that's just to wind her up (long story) she's a meanie.
When we are home though he will talk, grumble, woo and if we are not paying attention he has this annoying high pitched yip. He has an opinion about everything and even makes noise in his sleep lol
The only time I have heard him really bark with intent was one night at about 2am - it turns out there was a drunken teenager wandering around our yard  Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
katty_89
Newborn
Newborn
katty_89

Female Join date : 2013-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Does Husky = No Barking?   Does Husky = No Barking? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 10:16 pm

Axel doesn't bark... He just turned one recently and I think I've heard him bark like 5 times ever in that time. He talk a lot though (which I love!). Grumbles when he doesn't get his own way and talks back lol it's hilarious. He never used to talk as much, but since going to daycare which is filled with lots of other huskies he has become a lot more vocal. I'm so glad he doesn't bark... there's a GSD across the road that barks at EVERYTHING drives me crazy bounce
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

PostSubject: Re: Does Husky = No Barking?   Does Husky = No Barking? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 1:09 am

So sounds like Loki act like normal husky. Guess next pup may be husky afterall. I wanted GOD but that would drive him nuts with barking.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

PostSubject: Re: Does Husky = No Barking?   Does Husky = No Barking? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 1:45 am

I hate spellchecker on my phone. I wanted GSD, not God.
Back to top Go down
djannitto
Teenager
Teenager
djannitto

Male Join date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Does Husky = No Barking?   Does Husky = No Barking? EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 5:09 pm

Mine barks and talks equally! One thing he doesn't do is howl.
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Does Husky = No Barking?   Does Husky = No Barking? EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 3:45 am

Anubis only barks when he wants something and he does no typical Husky talk. on most days you hear no voice from him.
Back to top Go down
uelrindru
Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

Male Join date : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Does Husky = No Barking?   Does Husky = No Barking? EmptySat Aug 02, 2014 2:31 pm

Bella is pretty quiet, she talks while she's playing and if you ignore her when she wants to wrestle and your ignoring her but she only barks at the cat to try to get her to play. The cat has always choose not to play.
Back to top Go down
Rezman
Newborn
Newborn
Rezman

Male Join date : 2012-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Does Husky = No Barking?   Does Husky = No Barking? EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 12:41 pm

It's a toss up as to whether a husky is a barker or not. My first one hardly made a sound unless the vacuum was going or somebody was delivering something - I swear she only barked at people bringing things in, but was completely silent when the movers were taking all our furniture.
Icy whines and howls when he sees someone walking a dog past the house or when he spies a rabbit in the neighbors yard. He barks his head off at the fence with his friends next door. He barks in our faces when he's ready to play. And he howls when he sees and hears wolves howling on TV!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does Husky = No Barking?   Does Husky = No Barking? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does Husky = No Barking?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1