It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness Empty
PostSubject: Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness   Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 6:02 am

Hey Guys,

I've always use the EzyDog neoprene collar for my boys.

Came across Ruffwear (Nylon) and Dean & Tyler (Leather) when I was looking for new things for my boys. Both of them look really good and sturdy. Both have good reviews.

Anyone have any experience on using genuine leather or nylon collars/leashes/harness etc?
I would appreciate some advice here Smile
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness   Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 2:00 am

Anyone?
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness   Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 3:11 am

Michelle, I want to be able to help you, but honestly can't, since I've never used either one. However, I have bought only 2 collars and 1 leash in Miya's 2 years of life, all been Nylon, key was that the snap and place you hook leash to is metal, as well as the leash is nylon with metal clasp to hook to collar. Her second one we got at 6 months of age, it's her everyday collar, as well as leash collar. It's held up well and we got it at wal-mart of all places, no reason to replace, going strong. If this isn't the answer you're looking for try posting on a Monday, more people on during the week. I know you've been on the forum longer than me, but honestly it dies down to a few of us on the weekends. Just make sure it has the metal. Hope I could help a little.

Btw you have very handsome boys.

Renee
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness   Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 3:30 am

I've never used leather, as I've been told that, if/when they get wet, it takes a long time to dry, and they get stinky. We lived in Oregon where it rains all the time, and despite rain or snow, I would still take my dogs out for exercise daily. I wasn't going to allow weather to become a deterrent, and I didn't want wet or smelly collars. Plus we're vegan, so we don't normally choose leather products anyways, even though for the dogs it wouldn't matter since we feed them raw meat.

Nylon has worked well for us, it dries quick and doesn't get smelly. All of our products are nylon actually: leashes, collars, sled dog harnesses.

We just started buying some of the collars and leashes from Cabela's. After looking them up on their website just now for you, it seems the material is called "nylon-reinforced PVC" and it feels like rubber; made for weather down to -20 degrees below zero. Here's a pic of one of the short leashes we have (we also own a longer leash and a collar of the same material; all for Search & Rescue in all weather conditions, snow/rain/etc.):

Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness S7_661027_001_01?labelKey=label&&id=MW1Rz0&wid=906&hei=181&fmt=jpg
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness   Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 4:00 am

I like that Kevin. Ruffwear has similar, called headwater collar, we use one similar to the hoopie, the thing Michelle with ruffwear, they are exactly what I have but ruffware's quick release buckle is plastic and the kind I have is metal, I feel better with metal, and although mine is not with the pvc, Miya gets wet all the time and her collar never smells and dries fast.
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness   Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 4:46 am

MiyasMomma wrote:
I like that Kevin. Ruffwear has similar, called headwater collar, we use one similar to the hoopie, the thing Michelle with ruffwear, they are exactly what I have but ruffware's quick release buckle is plastic and the kind I have is metal, I feel better with metal, and although mine is not with the pvc, Miya gets wet all the time and her collar never smells and dries fast.

I did want to piggyback on what you wrote above and here. When I first got my dogs, I tried the clip type fasteners or collars and leashes like the Ruffwear Roamer. Well, Paw Paw is my strongest puller, and at times he was able to unclip those types of fasteners when he bolted after a squirrel. I stopped using them, as it is not worth it to lose my dog and have him run off and get hit by a car or shot by a farmer. I would never recommend them or use them again. I prefer the belt style collars with the holes. I agree the metal clips work better and hold stronger than the plastic ones, but a strong dog can even unclip the metal ones. They seem to be making them better now, but again, to me it just isn't worth the risk of losing your dog. A dog should NEVER be able to break out of the belt style collars, unless they chew through it, which means there are other problems involved.

I also wanted to add that I no longer keep my dogs in collars, as it was matting down their fur. They only wear collars when we go for bikejoring runs, as they are all connected to one another at the neck, and then the tuglines connect their X-back harness to the gangline, which is attached to my waist. When I walk them on a Softouch harness, they don't wear a collar. I have enough skill now that I won't lose them, and the only reason they wore a collar was because it had their ID and rabies tags on it. I do use the bright orange nylon/PVC collar with Kaze for SAR training though, but he only wears it for an hour or less., and sometimes not at all as I can connect the lead to his SAR harness instead of a collar. I'm also using the Herm Sprenger curogan slip collar, similar to what they use in a show ring, and instead of the choke method, I connect the lead to both rings so there is no choke ability, as the collar cannot tighten down around their neck when they pull.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness   Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 pm

Interesting Kevin, can you elaborate on how you place their tags? Do you attach their tags to their harness' vs collars? Collars do matt down their fur, but really figured fact of life.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness   Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 1:24 am

I've used both nylon and leather for my dogs. We go through collars A LOT at my house, because they always seem to break. The leather ones I find tend to last a lot longer, but the only downside is that they tend to bleed into Nicky's fure (white husky). Hayden however has had the same leather Coach collar since he was a year old and it's still holding up well. Brandi destoy's collars left and right! Mainly nylon collars, as the plastic snap tend's to break from her pulling so hard.

I've not noticed the leather collars smelling or had any issues with them drying. With leather collars, I believe you do get what you pay for. I've bought several cheap leather collars that haven't held up well, but like I said, Hayden has had the same Coach leather collar for quite a few years now.
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness   Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 2:07 am

MiyasMomma wrote:
Interesting Kevin, can you elaborate on how you place their tags? Do you attach their tags to their harness' vs collars? Collars do matt down their fur, but really figured fact of life.

Honestly, I just don't have them wear tags or collars anymore. The only time they are not in the yard or the house is when we go bikejoring. And for bikejoring, we leave straight from the yard, go out 2.5-5.5 miles, and bike back home. They are all attached to each other and to me in 2 different spots, so there is no scare of one becoming loose and running off. I was always jealous of how nice show dogs look, and my dogs were wearing collars for tags, and their fur would get all matted. I didn't like that look. And then I would see on dog forums pics posted by others whose dogs don't wear collars, and don't have the matted fur. It inspired me to remove my dog's collars and not put them back on. As you can see in my sig pic, their fur is nice and even all the way down their necks to their shoulders, without that matted stripe they used to have from a collar.

I've never had anyone come up and ask to see their tags. I'm sure it's the law to wear a tag for rabies. Not sure though. I only take them to dog parks when there are no other dogs inside the fence. I know tags are good for when a dog gets loose, so it can be returned to you, but now they have microchips and tattoos that do the same. Mine don't have a chip or tat, but I know that would be a valid reason for no longer wearing tags with contact info.

I don't recommend others to NOT have their dogs wear tags. I just stopped feeling the necessity for my pack to do so.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness   Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 2:20 am

lol, at your disclaimer, understandable, still funny. I am not sure, she really doesn't need a collar unless we are going to town where there is a leash law. I use it more for senile kitty, who hears Miya's tags and knows she's approaching. I always felt there was no need for a collar, hubby put it on and never took off. Food for thought Kevin, thank you
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness   Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 7:51 am

MiyasMomma wrote:
I am not sure, she really doesn't need a collar unless we are going to town where there is a leash law.

Oh, and for when we do go for walks, I use the Softouch Concepts harness (below) as recommended by my positive reinforcement behaviorist. She helped me transition off a prong, avoid a choke collar, and get the pressure off the throat for dogs who are strong pullers like my Paw Paw. The anti-pull deterrent is now at the chest and not the neck and it seemed to help gain better control. Of course, training to heel is even better, that way the dog knows how to walk nicely when the harness or other tool being utilized comes off, and it can wear a collar again without pulling. The problem I've always had with these so-called tools is that, once they come off, the dog has learned nothing and whatever behavior you're trying to correct usually comes right back until the tool gets reinstated. Thus constant training is essential, and is far more lasting and rewarding than a tool. Tools seem to be the easy way out for the lazy, and that's coming from me: someone who uses these tools, but sees that that grass was not greener on this side, and I yearn to return to setting aside more time for reinforced training.  

But yeah, I can clip my lead into that chest ring and, if I wanted to, attach the tags to that, so there is still no need for a collar which mats his fur. We have a Sense-ible in blue for Paw Paw (all of his gear HAS to be blue to match his eyes, of course!) and the better quality Sense-ation in black for Beowulf.

http://www.softouchconcepts.com/

Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness Harness_overview_sense-ible

I also use the 12" traffic lead (below) to help keep better control, especially when walking multiple dogs (I put a dog on each side of me) or near distractions, streets, narrow hiking paths or anyplace potentially dangerous.

Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness Traffic-lead-6-11-12
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness   Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 6:51 am

Thanks guys, guess i would have to give up on leather then..my little one likes water too much. I heard good reviews about the RuffWear, just never tried them before.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness   Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness Empty

Back to top Go down

Nylon or Leather Collars/Leashes/Harness

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1