It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. Empty
PostSubject: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 7:20 pm

Willows collar came undone on our walk yesterday. First her leash and now her collar. I guess the saying is true, you get what you pay for. I just spent a crap load of money ordering all new collars, leashes and harness for my two. It hurt the pocket book, but I am really excited to get some better quality gear. I ordered from EzyDog per suggestions on this forum...another reason that I love it here! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
GonetotheSnowDogs
Teenager
Teenager
GonetotheSnowDogs

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 7:50 pm

I have always bought Lupine since they have lifetime warranties.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/GonetotheSnowDogs
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 8:33 pm

Speaking of collars. I just bought them new ones today with snaps. Actually, this is Myas (the top one):

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3981816&lmdn=Dog+Collars%2C+Tags+%26amp%3B+Leashes

I haven't been putting collars on while at home since the incident. Mya's bottom jaw got stuck on Kody's collar a few weeks after we got him. That was a horrible experience! We couldn't them separated...Kody was choking...Mya was biting like crazy. I put my hand in the middle so that they wouldn't hurt each other and ended up with a few bites. Not cool!

Anyways, I've never been too comfortable with them not having their ID tags on them at all times so I'm going to give it one more try. As per somebodies suggestion on here (I think it was Kristina) I got them collars with snaps (or whatever they're called) just in case they get stuck it will be easy to take the collar off.

I'm still SUPER scared to have it on them since they ALWAYS go for the neck though Neutral
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 9:50 pm

Ahhhg, why did you mention EzyDog, I forgot about the fact I want to buy a zillion things from them! But I need to buy the camo collar and harness soon.. I just wish I could find a store with them because sizing is always odd with Koda.
Back to top Go down
GonetotheSnowDogs
Teenager
Teenager
GonetotheSnowDogs

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 9:51 pm

http://tazlab.com/v/vspfiles/V4_Backup/TL_collars.htm
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/GonetotheSnowDogs
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 10:49 pm

I would be wary of using any collar with plastic, quick release buckles.
They can and do break, especially the three pronged male ends.
A husky puts a tremendous amount of force on a collar that's attached to a leash. If the collar breaks, the dog is off to the races.
(I had the much larger buckle on my backpack break when I stepped on it with my boots. Then I had to finish the trip by tying the loose straps together.)

Mushers use adjustable nylon collars with minimal hard wear. These collars lay flat against the dog's neck and if adjusted corrected, will not slip off.

http://www.nordkyn.com/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 12:45 am

+1 to Michael, Koda wore a stupid Aspen collar, the buckle snapped (this is when I was about to leave to go to work and take him to daycare!) and I was running for about an hour and a half, during traffic hour, watching him go back and forth from the side of the roads. That was the worst experience I've ever had. I NEVER take him for a walk on a collar, only a harness, and when I am just casually taking him somewhere he has a martingale collar on.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 4:45 pm

Heatherlee wrote:
I NEVER take him for a walk on a collar, only a harness, and when I am just casually taking him somewhere he has a martingale collar on.

I use either a harness or a martingale collar also for walking, running or anything else. The only use her collar has, which has a quick release plastic buckle is to hold her tags. And the only reason it's a quick release plastic buckle collar is because her day care required she have a quick release collar on.

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 7:07 pm

Claudia, you should refuse to have a collar on her when she is out at daycare. When she rough plays and a dog is tugging her neck, it's teeth can get caught in it and it can go very sour. That happened at Koda's first daycare and I told them I would absolutely not have a collar on him ever again.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 7:11 pm

Hmm...I wonder if they would even take her in if I refused to have a collar on her...? I'll ask next time. I rarely take her to daycare - only when I'm out of town and hubby can't work from home while I'm gone...I'll check tho'! Thanks for the heads up!

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 7:28 pm

Tell them that your friend had a dog get their teeth stuck in her dog's collar and it turned out horrible. They should be using paper collars. If they say they would refuse her, tell them that is sad they would refuse you because you don't want Ginger or another dog being hurt. There is no reason for a collar.. they should have no means of a dog being able to get outside the building!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 8:36 pm

Heatherlee wrote:
Claudia, you should refuse to have a collar on her when she is out at daycare. When she rough plays and a dog is tugging her neck, it's teeth can get caught in it and it can go very sour. That happened at Koda's first daycare and I told them I would absolutely not have a collar on him ever again.

This happened to us at home and it was a HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!! I ended up with bites on my hand, Mya a bite under her eye, and Kody almost freaking choked! Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 11:00 am

^^ Scary ! I Knw My Mira was Biting On Icons when i was sleepin and she Had Icons tight By Morning! Im Sooo Glad Nothin Bad happened !~
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 12:48 pm

oh thank goodness nothing happened!!!!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 1:35 am

It felt like Christmas when I got home from work today. The new collars, leashes and harness was waiting for me! Love them!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 4:09 am

pictures! Smile
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 1:33 pm

Jennet, I loved the pink and blue camo collars you got your two, so that's what I ended up getting mine. They look so cute in them. I will have to get the camera out this weekend. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 3:21 pm

aren't they just adorable Very Happy i love them!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 8:51 pm

I got the green one for Koda- harness, collar, and the mongrel + extension. LOVE them! When I get a 2nd I want the pink camo for her Smile
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 8:57 pm

I got the mongrel and extension as well. They are so much better than store bought leashes. Atleast what I can find in my area. The pink camo is sooo cute and it looks great on Willow.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 5:56 am

the pink camo looks so great on the reds Smile i love it! we have just the mongrel, harness and collar for embry
and zoey has the cujo, harness and collar.

i don't like giving them too much leash because otherwise they are everywhere Laughing
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 6:12 pm

Here's a photo of my two with their collars. I think I probably should have gotten a size larger for Willow. If she grows anymore I will have too.

I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. 100_0628
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 6:28 pm

what size did you get for willow? i'm ordering zoey her collar in the next couple of days and i can't decide what collar to get, embry has a large and it's really big on him :/
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 6:48 pm

I got her the medium size. The large would probably be too big for her right now, but if she grows anymore, I will have to upgrade.

Last edited by 26nikita on Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Heatherlee wrote:
Ahhhg, why did you mention EzyDog, I forgot about the fact I want to buy a zillion things from them! But I need to buy the camo collar and harness soon.. I just wish I could find a store with them because sizing is always odd with Koda.

I ordered the harness for Ginger, and then I saw Heather's Mongrel extension and Neo Mongrel handle and was jealous...so I promptly ordered matching accessories to go with her harness! LOL!

PostSubject: Re: I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.   I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes. Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm tired of poor quality collars and leashes.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next