It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Freaking out in the crate

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2014-10-10

Freaking out in the crate Empty
PostSubject: Freaking out in the crate   Freaking out in the crate EmptyThu May 07, 2015 9:02 pm

I may just be over reacting and probably know the answer to this but right now bandit is freaking out. Crying and howling bloody murder. Is it cause she knows I'm home? I've been using my go pro to record what she does when I leave for work and not a peep. She plays with a few toys then basically sleep. Am I right? Do you think I'm right? I can post videos when she is done her fit. I am putting her in the crate partially to get her used to being in there when I'm home and also to get to the bottom of her issues of sometimes in the crate.

I promise not to complain about any responses anymore lol
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Freaking out in the crate   Freaking out in the crate EmptyThu May 07, 2015 10:39 pm

Tony, the problem for Bandit is that you're doing something different.  I hate to phrase this this way, but dogs are like kids with ADHD - they can generally maintain fine as long as their caretaker is consistent.  When something happens that - well, when something happens, they're lost ...

You're putting her inher crate while you're home is cruel (at least in her mind), she wants to be out with you.  And personally I see nothing to be gained having her crated while you're home ... with one exception, it's nice to be able to tell her "crate" when you have company over and she goes in without a problem.  

Again, though you're using a lot more "push" than the situation calls for; train her to like her crate whether you're home or not.  She's not a <whatever> you can put in a box whenever you want and not be concerned till you want her company again.  

I'm rambling, but I hope you get the gist of what I'm trying to say ....

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Freaking out in the crate   Freaking out in the crate EmptyThu May 07, 2015 11:11 pm

I get it. She has no issues when i,leave for work. Seen it first hand on the go pro. But it would be nice for to accept it when there may be people over and she needs a break from them. Or it is just too much for her. Any tips on how to have her understand it's okay while I'm home?
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Freaking out in the crate   Freaking out in the crate EmptyThu May 07, 2015 11:20 pm

Sorry, Tony. To my mind, bandit is alone and crated a good part of the day and she handles that well. When you get home, she needs your time and attention. And to walk around freely, stretch her legs, be in relationship with you.

If you need her to not be a nudge when people visit, train her to not be a nudge. Let her life down beside you quietly while you entertain.

What happened with the head shaking? Did you discuss it with your vet?

Back to top Go down
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Freaking out in the crate   Freaking out in the crate EmptyThu May 07, 2015 11:40 pm

As far as the head shaking they had no real advice. Said they've seen it once before but it never had an issue. She is 100% responsive when she does it so they said just document it as best I can. Nothing just yet though
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Freaking out in the crate   Freaking out in the crate EmptyThu May 07, 2015 11:50 pm

If you don't mind me asking, what was the new flea preventive the vet put her on? And, was she given any benadryl to help calm her down? Would be really nice if this was just a 1 time thing I I response to meds.

I think about you and Bandit every time I sit beside Ami and he gets up and moves 5 ft away Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Freaking out in the crate   Freaking out in the crate EmptyFri May 08, 2015 12:16 am

Tony, since I don't crate my suggestion may be all wet; a question or two first though.
Your terminology bothers me - you've used the phrase "I put her in her crate." before and I have to ask "Are you physically putting her in her crate or are you telling her to go into her crate with her going in willingly?"
You want her to willingly go into her crate since, again in her mind, that's her den not a cell you put her in. It takes time and a lot of patience to get her to do it willingly. Having her do it willingly when she's excited because there are "other people" around is going to take a lot more patience.
How do you do it? If it were me, I'd be feeding her in there (and leaving her alone to eat!); maybe tossing a treat in and telling her "crate". Like Jeff's "place" command you want her to go into her crate and stay there when you tell her to - or just because she wants to. A word of caution, when she goes in because she wants to, leave her alone until she comes out on her own - it's kinda, in my mind, her way of saying "I want some time."

Back to top Go down
Kaliska
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2015-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Freaking out in the crate   Freaking out in the crate EmptyFri May 08, 2015 3:28 am

We use "kennel" as the command so we can talk about crates separately. Aside from my akita who wasn't crate trained until 2 years old they all love their crates and will sleep in them open during the day. They will still throw a fit if I don't let them out in a normal time limit after getting home. If I were to crate them and stay home they may feel abandoned and unfairly confined depending what I'm doing. When they get all wound up in the crate before I'm ready to let them out then we practice waiting calmly for release. Niji is starting to get this down. They do not get out of a crate unless they are quiet and still. At first I will get their attention, possibly with a treat, and tell them "quiet" or "calm". All I want in the beginning is a second or 2 of going still and looking at me before I release the door. Gradually that increases. Eventually you can tell them from across the room to calm down and they will chill for awhile. Anything to do with crates tends to take a lot of time, patience, and toys or treats.
Back to top Go down
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Freaking out in the crate   Freaking out in the crate EmptyFri May 08, 2015 9:25 am

Al I do not physically put her in lol I say "Bandit. Go to your home." and she goes. She is very willing to go. Middle of the day when i come home from work she's out for about 30 - 45mins and goes back in With a frozen peanut butter kong filled with some food and an ice cube. If I have to run out I usually will always give her the kong dispensing treat thinger mabober. I've seen her play with that for 30mins in there. She willingly goes in. All the time. I never have to physically. Only when she was 2 months did I have to kind of push her little butt in there.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Freaking out in the crate   Freaking out in the crate EmptyFri May 08, 2015 5:02 pm

If that's the case, Tony, then I'd have to agree with @Kaliska that Bandit might "feel abandoned and unfairly confined" if you crate her and then just hang around and I'm not sure I blame her for objecting since it's a change (without reason to her) to the status quo. I like the way she talks about her relationship with her dogs and the crate.
I do tend to agree also with @Amymeme in that desirably you want Bandit to be able to be out among you and your friends without being a nuisance ( "Aw, c'mon pet me!" )

With my two, Sasha just looks up when someone comes in; if it's someone she knows, she may go over to say "Hi!" but she's not making a pest of herself. Sasha has never been a real big people dog ... she's okay with them around but not going out of her way for attention. Avalanche, on the other paw, gets told to "go lay down" since he will make a nuisance of himself - but he's also agreeable to going to his corner until I let him up (or they leave).

Avalanche is a continue work in progress. I've finally been able to convince him that he doesn't need to go greet anyone who pulls into the yard - "On the porch!" and he'll go set on the porch. I have to admit that I've been more than a bit concerned about someone running over him because he will (was) getting right in front of the vehicle.

Since I seldom have any pressing issues with my two - especially in relationship with other people - I'm probably a lot more laid back about letting them "be dogs" than others would be.

Back to top Go down
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Freaking out in the crate   Freaking out in the crate EmptyFri May 08, 2015 7:39 pm

Yeah I figured as much. Like I said I figured that's what it was but I wanted some input. She is getting better with company. She is always excited to see everyone. Running to meet them at the door and look for attention. She used to bother people for hours but now it seems it's only for the first few mins then she goes back to following me everywhere lol
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Freaking out in the crate   Freaking out in the crate EmptySat May 09, 2015 12:28 pm

One suggestion I have is when you crate her while you are there give her a super amazing treat like a kong stuffed with wet frozen dog food or a raw bone or chew of some kind something she really likes and will take her a little while to finish and then while she is chewing on it be close to the crate and just read or whatever. So you can change the meaning of the crate from bored alone time to fun togther but doing your own thing time. If she wants to leave the crate let her make her sit or ask nicely and make her leave the awesome treat inside.

In fact you might want to start this with the door open.

Once she is used to and enjoying her chewing in the crate time pratcice leaving for short bits go get a drink of water go to the next room and grab a blanket and then come back and do whatever you were doing so that you get her to relax about you leaving.

Once you are to the point where you could leave and make a sandwitch or something with out her caring you could use the chew as a sign of crate time so if she is bugging your guests or you think she needs a break just grab the chew and have her go in her kennel.

Just how I would handle it.

Also an other suggestion and what I did was I had my puppy on leash when guests showed up so he couldn't jump on them. Normally it was for game night and I would just pop the end of the leash around the leg of the table. Then I would give him a chew or a toy to play with. He behaved better than he did when crated and could hear us and the leash prevented him wandering off or bugging my friends.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Freaking out in the crate   Freaking out in the crate Empty

Back to top Go down

Freaking out in the crate

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1