It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Does anyone have two huskies?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CyberSlush
Newborn
Newborn
CyberSlush

Does anyone have two huskies? Empty
PostSubject: Does anyone have two huskies?   Does anyone have two huskies? EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 9:34 am

We are thinking of getting a second husky (a puppy). When we were in Florida, we met another couple who had a Husky that Slush could always play with. However, when we had to move we have had a harder time finding another dog for her to play with. We work all day and come home and walk/run her/train her and give her attention but at times it can be a little overwhelming. She is 2 and loves playing with other dogs and our friends whose husky she used to play with just got a husky puppy and say it has worked out great so far with the older one.

Do those of you who have two huskies recommend getting a second one? We know it will be more work to raise a puppy and train it but are there any other issues we should be aware of? Will they play all the time and get energy out this way?

We move a lot so we are also concerned it may be difficult to find a house to rent that accepts two huskies.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have two huskies?   Does anyone have two huskies? EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 9:51 am

Rental can not give an opinion in that as we only had one sibe and one cat while renting, and most of the time it was a combined weight limit not to exceed.

For years now I have always had two or three dogs at one time. (Sibe, Sibemix, or Aussie Shep). I will be hard pressed to ever go back to just having one dog. Actually bidding my time to go back to being a 3 dog fam again soon. I have found that the older teaches the younger and the the younger entertains the older! They exercise each other in our backyard and in the house. Some say they be twice as much but I believe that it is more like if you have one dog adding another is like only adding 1/2 the work since some of you work load is simultaneous. I take my dogs together for most things. There are a few things that one gets and the other doesn't but that is more because one dog get excited for rides, one gets excited for the bike, etc. Yes there are double the baths or vet but I feel that once you get over the puppy training there is a decrease in exercise or training as you do it simultaneously and they stimulate each other so it is not double the walks, fetch, exercise, play, etc. It really can be like having the built in best friend. Some places you can even find discounts for multiple dogs: kennel together, vet appointment together, etc.

amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have two huskies?   Does anyone have two huskies? EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 11:17 am

I don't exactly have 2 dogs but sort of have my son's husky mix almost half time most of the year. When Archer is here, the antics are a delight to watch. And BOTH dogs get wonderfully exercised and tired - we do have a large outdoor area for them to romp and they do use it. When they are not together, each dog demands a lot more human input - walking, playing. Not that it is a chore - I love time with my dog.

So I would say, 2 dogs, if you can afford it and manage the housing thing is great.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have two huskies?   Does anyone have two huskies? EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 12:12 pm

I don't have two Sibes, my other is a german shepherd mix, but it has worked out well for us. It's a little bit more of a pain if you take your dogs a lot of places as maneuvering two through a store is a skill to learn but they keep each other occupied well.

Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have two huskies?   Does anyone have two huskies? EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 12:23 pm

We have a 3 year old sibe and just brought home an almost 6 month old. We were in a similar situation in that our older one loved his play dates with other huskies and we wanted to get him a sibling. We had talked about it for awhile but always put it off because it was not the "right time". Finally, we realize there wasn't going to be a right time.

They have adjusted pretty well so far. I can tell you though, getting a puppy is going to be a ton of work at first. With us, we are in an apartment right now so we are now taking two dogs out on a leash to potty every single time. And if one has to go, the other one wants to also. They also play very hard ALL the time.

In terms of renting, it's definitely something you need to take into consideration. We have rental shopped twice with just the one husky. The first was a house and the landlord was super flexible and we got lucky. The apartment we are in now I chose blind because we were moving across the country and was having a very hard time finding rentals where huskies weren't on the restricted breeds list. However, we knew that this was going to be a risk when we got a husky. We were looking to get into a rental house now that our lease is going to be up, but had a very difficult time finding one in our budget that would allow multiple dogs, let alone huskies. So that means we have to make the sacrifice to stay in the apartment longer to save more to buy in order to keep our dogs.

Last edited by MGoBlue on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have two huskies?   Does anyone have two huskies? EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 12:32 pm

As long as you are not overwhelmed by the first, and can handle double the play and double the attention on your work schedule and life style, then you would be fine to get another.

We have six dogs between my boyfriends two samoyeds, my three siberian huskies and my american eskimo dog. The red boys play together in the backyard allll the time, theyre inseperable. The apartment is definitely something to consider though I had a very very hard time trying to find a place to rent that would allow even one siberian husky, I'm just thankful the house worked out.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have two huskies?   Does anyone have two huskies? EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 12:47 pm

I have three, they're constantly playing and love each other's company. Luckily they all get along fine and we've never had issues. The transition from 1 to 2 was pretty easy, but my female was 4 months when we got her from the breeder and was already housebroken and crate trained which made things a lot easier.

If you're moving a lot, I wouldn't recommend it honestly. I found it very difficult to find a place to take us when we had 2 bigger dogs. It took us over a year when we were still renting to find a place that would take 2 huskies.
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have two huskies?   Does anyone have two huskies? EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 1:01 pm

In between the hours of 10pm and midnight tonight, I will have two huskies Very Happy

In my observance, huskies are okay by themselves... but better with a second + dog(s)

They are a very social dog, and humans can't quite interact with them in the horse play that they love, because well, we don't like to play rough (at least most of us don't lol)

I am getting a second to make sledding more beneficial for us, I have found Okami us very squirrly and loses interest in pulling really quickly... so I think a second dog will keep her in line if I train in the fan formation.

I also think that me not having a fenced in yard, will allow for them both to benefit from having each other to horse around in the house to tire them out until I can actually get off my butt again... going through a large amount of dental work for a while, and I am bed ridden with pain right now... poor Okami thinks I am the most boring person that ever lived right now. I mean, I still take her for walks, but we haven't rode the bike for maybe a month... I get the two main painful ones out next
Thursday (was supposed to be today Sad; Dentist is on emergency medical leave and isn't expected back till next week. )

Anyways, do I think there should be more than one dog? Yes. Do I think everyone can handle it? No.
I'd say, ask yourself, how are you doing with just one right now? What level of stress does one give you? Because when you have two, you double everything. Double the food, medical expenses, toys.
There will always be excitement and  don't forget, double the crazy!

Not trying to psych you out... but it is things to think about.
It is things I have thought about. When I am not a bed ridden invalid, I am such an active person so I could probably handle 4 or 5, my husband would never allow that though!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
CyberSlush
Newborn
Newborn
CyberSlush

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have two huskies?   Does anyone have two huskies? EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 8:15 pm

You all raise some good points. Do you think that two means it takes up twice your energy and twice your time?

Or does having the second to play with the first mean they take up less of your time and energy?
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have two huskies?   Does anyone have two huskies? EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 8:46 pm

CyberSlush wrote:
You all raise some good points.  Do you think that two means it takes up twice your energy and twice your time?

Or does having the second to play with the first mean they take up less of your time and energy?

When Archer is here, it is less work than Ami alone... they play with each other. Hard. So I can get away with playing with them intermittently through the day and walks are sort of optional. We have 4 ish acres for them to run so they get lots of exercise when together. Ami alone? He needs 2 long walks per day. Minimum. And we get zoomies if he's not exercised enough. And he gets rough in his play after a few days.

The extra work is picking up 2 food bowls instead of 1. But 1 huge water bowl... well I have water bowls on 4 places so that is a bit of a pain but they share.

Down side? Sometimes they seem to get each other worked up and 2 digging a whole is exponentially a bigger hole than 1.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have two huskies?   Does anyone have two huskies? EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 9:49 pm

Having two huskies...yes, they tire each other out, however, it doesn't eliminate their need for *you* to tire them out, they still need the long walks/runs/playtime from *you* . So if you are thinking that there will be times where you can miss walks with them, or don't have to worry about playing with them because the other husky is there, it's simply not the case. Their exercise/mental stimulation with you is something needed by them and in reality is a totally different kind of physical and mental stimulation than they get with another dog. Having two means they can be more tired than they would be if the other wasn't there, and healthier because their mind and body is being exercised more with another dog, but an *extra* dog won't and shouldn't be a replacement for you when you are too tired or whatever. And with your housing situation and moving a lot, I would put extra consideration into it. Not trying to talk you out of it at all ...it's just not something to be entered into lightly.

So the answer to both your last questions are yes and no to each Wink my two NEED their walks each day and night and they and I do benefit from them having each other to keep each other entertained
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have two huskies?   Does anyone have two huskies? EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 11:13 pm

I may be a little biased going through the puppy stages right now, but at first while the 2nd is still a puppy it will bee more than double the work you're used to.
Back to top Go down
CyberSlush
Newborn
Newborn
CyberSlush

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have two huskies?   Does anyone have two huskies? EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 11:30 am

We raised the first one as a puppy, so we remember how much work it was to initially train her. We would get the second one CGC trained and certified like the first, so we're committed to putting in that work. Plus we enjoy walking, running, and training Slush. Smile

It's just that extra energy after all of that (we don't currently have a good dog park nearby) that can sometimes be overwhelming AFTER we have already ran, walked, and played with her that day. Our friends who just got a second puppy say that the two play all the time and so it helps keep them a bit more occupied in those off times.

We know the housing will be a challenge, and are just trying to decide if we want to make that sacrifice or not...plus we may be expanding our human family in the next couple years and become even busier than we already are.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have two huskies?   Does anyone have two huskies? EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 8:24 pm

Your friends are correct. Especially at times like after a walk (they're all wound up like a wind up toy and bam, all that energy gets released) a second dog is really good with keeping the other busy and tired. Personally I love having two, I really wouldn't want it any other way...I had Kohdi alone for one year and it was great! But adding Mishka...it's like releasing a entirely different side in Kohdi, and Mishka adores him (and vice versa) . Last night, it was 1 in the morning and I wake up to low grade noises, I go out to check on them and they are playing with a toy in the dining room, lol, so yeah, they do help each other release some pent up energy. In your case, the housing needs a lot of thought, it's all do-able though, however my only concern is the "moving a lot"...huskies really seem to thrive on routine and consistency and any disruptions in that can cause a lot of stress for them. Depending on the dogs personality, it can be a minor little thing or something much bigger. I wish you the best in whatever you decide!
Back to top Go down
tolbert.chad
Newborn
Newborn
tolbert.chad

Male Join date : 2014-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have two huskies?   Does anyone have two huskies? EmptyMon Jul 06, 2015 1:41 pm

I have 2. I've had them since they were puppies. I did get them about 3 weeks apart. They play with each other and wear themselves out well. I still have to run them or they drive me nuts and dig craters in my yard. I did a lot of research before I got my first one (that's how I found this site). Plus they help me get exercise frequently. Plus for me they are just plain fun. Each has their own personality so it always keeps on our toes.
I am waiting until they are maybe 3 or 4 yrs and I'm hoping to get 2 more. I want my own dog sled team.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have two huskies?   Does anyone have two huskies? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have two huskies?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1