It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Back legs bowed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Maya Randall
Newborn
Newborn
Maya Randall

Back legs bowed Empty
PostSubject: Back legs bowed   Back legs bowed EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 11:31 am

Hi!
I looked for info online and couldn't find anything so here I am!

My 7 month old husky Onyx seems to be bow legged with his back legs, they turn in. He doesn't seem to be in any pain and when he runs and stands they straighten out, it is strictly when he walks. I was just wondering if anyone else had a husky with this and what the outcome was? Thanks so much!
Back to top Go down
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

Back legs bowed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back legs bowed   Back legs bowed EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 11:45 am

How old was the pup when you got him? Ever have a vet look at it for you with x-rays? I imagine this to be a rare medical issue for husky owners but maybe someone here has experience for you and will give you good advice.
Back to top Go down
Maya Randall
Newborn
Newborn
Maya Randall

Back legs bowed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back legs bowed   Back legs bowed EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 11:49 am

He was 9 weeks old when I got him. Thanks for your reply. I have taken him for his shots and nothing was said about his legs but I will take him tonight since he is due for his heartworms meds and ask. I saw that hip dysplasia testing can not be done until they are 2 years old or at least that is the recommended age.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Back legs bowed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back legs bowed   Back legs bowed EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 2:13 pm

OFA testing can be done at any age as a prelim, AKC and OFA will not recognize results until a dog is at least 2 years old, I believe because most dogs are considered full grown at 2, so therefore the test is more valid or accurate. Pennhip testing can be done as young as 16 weeks, I do not know at what age AKC recognizes a valid Pennhip test, in fact I don't believe AKC even recognizes Pennhip, since it is a newer test. I would definitely have your vet check them, and see what type of test they may be able to do. Of course this is from reading about both tests, your vet and breeder, as well as more experienced people here would be able to give you more thorough info on those tests. I would also contact the breeder if after seeing the vet and vet determines there may be something wrong, just to let them know there may be a problem, which would probably come from the breeding pair.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

Back legs bowed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back legs bowed   Back legs bowed EmptySun Jul 05, 2015 2:37 am

If his knees are turned inward that would be called 'cow-hocked'.  Generally when seen in young dogs it can be something they grow out of by the time they hit maturity.  Especially if this was not something seen at 8 weeks.  Puppies bodies grow unevenly and can do some pretty ugly things.  You really won't know for sure if this is the rear your dog will have until he matures.Cow-hocked dogs generally do not require any special care and it does not mean they have hip dysplasia.  

Back legs bowed ScreenShot113

Figure 1 would be 'idea'
Figure 2 would be narrow
Figure 3 is cow-hocked
Figure 4 is toed-in
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
sfbvarela
Newborn
Newborn

Back legs bowed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back legs bowed   Back legs bowed EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 1:07 pm

I've had a German Shepherd before who had her front legs turned inward when she was about 3 months old. Took her to the vet and the vet suggested calcium supplements. Then, I also asked about it in a german shepherd forum then they said she had too much calcium. I didn't know which one to follow so I decided to go where there won't be damage if ever it was wrong, so I decided to not give calcium and just give her a good diet, probably the most expensive dog food there is in my country(Philippines), then after 2 weeks her legs were normal. I guess it's just a puppy stage I don't really know, I'm not a vet. Exercise too is important.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Back legs bowed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back legs bowed   Back legs bowed Empty

Back to top Go down

Back legs bowed

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1