It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Just need some advice or tips!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mrs.deel2015
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2015-11-16

Just need some advice or tips! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just need some advice or tips!   Just need some advice or tips! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 11:05 am

Thanks for the link! She's fine in a harness, as silly as it seems she's wearing sweaters right now so she doesn't get cold, and they give her a confidence boost, where she's lacking fur. True story she won't leave my room till I put it on her now I think she's embarrassed of being naked. So the harness actually goes over her sweater instead of under. It's a Web master. It's really easy on her.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Just need some advice or tips!   Just need some advice or tips! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 11:16 am

Glad you're not leaving sunny

I was just joking with hubby yesterday...should we get a doggy coat for Ami for the winter...I'll bet with no fur she is really chilly. I wonder if she will still insist on her sweater once her fur grows back in. And probably looks scrawny - Ami looks huge and fat with his wooly coat but when he gets wet affraid I always think he's underweight.

We just took a trip from up here in NY through Virginia (we did the Skyline Drive - breathtaking scenery!) then parts of the Blue Ridge Trail to Asheville. The foliage was at peak - lovely country down that way.
Back to top Go down
Mrs.deel2015
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Just need some advice or tips!   Just need some advice or tips! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 11:23 am

Haha they're super cute in sweaters! I'm probably going to have to invest in snow booties if her paws don't grow more fur back by the first snow! I just have some cheap ones that protect them cause they're sensitive right now. It's really seems like a whole new world for her in such a short time. Grass was an interesting concept on her little paws once she regained feeling in them instead of just pain with every step. Meanwhile she looks extremely underweight and malnurished you can see every rib and her spin like there's nothing there(thankfully she's got this body hawk thing going on so she has fur covering it) I'll post some pictures later when I get on my computer so you can see her in her sweater. She had a costume for Halloween she refused to let me take off for 4 days after Halloween. Lol every time I tried she'd run, and she pouted when I finally got it off. I bet that was a gorgeous drive, I love my mountains that's for sure!
Back to top Go down
Mrs.deel2015
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Just need some advice or tips!   Just need some advice or tips! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 11:28 am

I failed to mention she isn't underweight and malnurished. She just looks it. She's a whopping 48ibs of love. Just no muscle bulk.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Just need some advice or tips!   Just need some advice or tips! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 11:57 am

Very interesting...I looked up the "white feet, don't treat" and it really was the standard for many years until recently. So any vet that isn't really current is likely still using that practise. So sorry you had to go through all that. And poor puppy (did you tell us her name and I've forgotton?)

I've wanted to try booties for Ami in the winter because he gets these enormous ice balls between his toes but I'm fairly certain he'll pull them off...
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Just need some advice or tips!   Just need some advice or tips! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 12:06 pm

Yeah, old school vets are all about the white feet thing when it comes to ivomec. I have to fight one of my vets all the time about giving ivomec to my two for heartworms. Long haired herding breeds are the only breeds it's ever been proven to bother unless someone is way overdosing.

We would love to see pictures of her even without all her hair. lol. Once she gets better and her hair comes back in it would make a great before and after.

Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Female Join date : 2015-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Just need some advice or tips!   Just need some advice or tips! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 1:07 pm

Regarding the opening post I've heard some people swear by aroma therapy for helping them calm down. I've never used it but it could be worth looking into?

My parents put meeka in sweaters when it's chilly out. She likes them and plays outside longer. It's really cute lol.

Did you say Khaleesi was her name? Excited for pictures!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Just need some advice or tips!   Just need some advice or tips! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 2:39 pm

I did some reading on the MDR1 gene mutation. There is a list of breeds that are most likely to be affected - apparantly not all are the various collies - German Shepherds the one the stuck out most, then some whippet things and a couple of others. BUt one site said that these are the most common and the ones that have been identified - it is certainly possible for other breeds to have it, just not in the density that the herding breeds do and thus not identified yet. I suppose it is also possible for the gene to mutate de novo, thus without it being either parent having it, but I do not know that, that latter statement is just conjecture.

So - Khaleesi is her name? How did I miss that?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Just need some advice or tips!   Just need some advice or tips! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 3:25 pm

Amy, I've done some reading as this topic has progressed and - this is NOT aimed at any user here - it amazes me how many of the 'research' sites are making absolute statements. If I've learned nothing in my 68 years, it that about the time someone thinks they know everything there is to know about something the gods come along and put a twist into it just to keep life interesting.

Suffice it to say that I'm much more apt to accept the opinion of someone who phrases it "the most common breeds to date" or "those which have occurred in our research are" over someone who states the "only breeds that have <x.y.z> are."

And I too would appreciate the before and after pictures of this poor and lucky dog.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Just need some advice or tips!   Just need some advice or tips! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:00 pm

aljones wrote:
Amy, I've done some reading as this topic has progressed and - this is NOT aimed at any user here - it amazes me how many of the 'research' sites are making absolute statements.  If I've learned nothing in my 68 years, it that about the time someone thinks they know everything there is to know about something the gods come along and put a twist into it just to keep life interesting.

Suffice it to say that I'm much more apt to accept the opinion of someone who phrases it "the most common breeds to date" or "those which have occurred in our research are" over someone who states the "only breeds that have <x.y.z> are."

And I too would appreciate the before and after pictures of this poor and lucky dog.

Amen, Al. When all my tests came back negative and I got better on gluten free even thoughsymptoms always return within 3 days of eating gluten, I argued with Wayne and my primary and my gastro - this can't be gluten intolerance - the tests are negative!!! All 3 just smiled and said..."they just haven't invented the test yet." And the radiologist said "Wayne, treat the patient, NOT the test." SIgh. I make such wonderful bread...
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Just need some advice or tips!   Just need some advice or tips! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 5:56 pm

Seems odd that German Shepherds are suddenly showing up on lists. They never were before as they don't fit any of the old stereotypes used to determine who should avoid ivomec. I've had several gsd mix dogs and my family have had several pure breds and never had to avoid ivomec with them nor have them tested for this mutation. Did the article you read mention them more in reference to the faulted white gsd. The late fascination with the whites would explain how suddenly GSDs have been added.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Just need some advice or tips!   Just need some advice or tips! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 5:58 pm

TwisterII wrote:
Seems odd that German Shepherds are suddenly showing up on lists. They never were before as they don't fit any of the old stereotypes used to determine who should avoid ivomec. I've had several gsd mix dogs and my family have had several pure breds and never had to avoid ivomec with them nor have them tested for this mutation. Did the article you read mention them more in reference to the faulted white gsd. The late fascination with the whites would explain how suddenly GSDs have been added.

Not that I remember...but while the collies were in the 70% range, the GSD rate was around 5%  Damn, I should have cited the article - I'll have to go back through my history later tonight (I'm way behind on chores and need to "STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER!"  lol!

EDIT: Also, from what I understand, but I will have to fact check this later, the heartworm preventive doses of ivermectin are ok for some, it's the high dose mange treatments that are the problem. And other drugs, too.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Just need some advice or tips!   Just need some advice or tips! - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 2:18 am

OK - here's a list of breeds affected by the MDR1 gene mutation and the approximate frequencies - I was off slightly on the GSD, it's 10%, not 5A%.  THis list is from the vet school that found the gene mutation and developed the test.

Note:

The only way to know if an individual dog has the mutant MDR1 gene is to have the dog tested. As more dogs are tested, more breeds will probably be added to the list of affected breeds.

EDIT: OK so I had a brain fart...here is the link:

http://vcpl.vetmed.wsu.edu/affected-breeds
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just need some advice or tips!   Just need some advice or tips! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Just need some advice or tips!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2