It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help me get my hubby on board with raw...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

Help me get my hubby on board with raw... Empty
PostSubject: Help me get my hubby on board with raw...   Help me get my hubby on board with raw... EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 4:29 pm

When I am home around dinner time, I whip up a cup or so of Honest Kitchen and put some raw chicken chunks in it for our dog. My hubby on the other hand, doesn't like dealing with raw meat and isn't on board with cleaning up the floor where Nikolai takes his pieces out and drops them on the floor before actually *eating* them, so instead, he goes the kibble/canned food route. I suppose this is OK as my dog is still getting fed, but we're almost out of kibble and I don't really want to go buy more. Anyway, I guess my question is, how do you convince a raw-meat-a-phobe to suck it up and just do it for the sake of our dog?

Oh, and he doesn't want his Mom to know we feed raw - when she came over for Super Bowl Sunday, he asked me to keep his "raw" meal in the fridge and just serve kibble/canned, so she wouldn't have to see Nikolai crunching bones... I guess it skeeves him out. I've tried crating him and feeding him outside, neither of which work (he looks at me like, "What'd I do wrong?").
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Help me get my hubby on board with raw...   Help me get my hubby on board with raw... EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 4:59 pm

Well that certainly makes it a lot harder if your husband is feeding him. I had an easier time convincing my husband because I'm the one that feeds the dogs. But I have to say that there are two things that convinced my husband to allow me to feed raw. #1 was money, he was all for it when he learned that it was cheaper than kibble and dehydrated/freeze dried raw. # 2 was that it is better and healthier for the dogs and therefore we'd see better health, cleaner teeth, less health problems equals less moula in the vets pocket, etc. It mostly boiled down to less cost, both directly and indirectly, for my husband.

Maybe get him the book "Work Wonders: Feed Your Dog Raw Meaty Bones" by Tom Lonsdale.

I'm a germ-a-phobe (think OCD), and I have issues with handling raw meat (always have) which is why I never thought I'd overcome my issues and be able to feed raw to my dogs. It took time to get over it and what is my driving force is knowing it's the best thing I can do for my dogs. I do still have days that I literally gag over doling out their raw meat. I just try to get it separated out and served as quick as possible. lol

When I feed my sibe indoors I put newspaper on the floor then a placemat and then his bowl or cutting board with meat on top of everything. If he takes his food out of the bowl then it almost always lands on the placemat and if not then it's at least on the newspaper which I just roll up and throw away, easy cleanup. And the placemat I just wash when I wash the dogs' bowls so it really doesn't add any considerable work. Some people use towels that they designate for raw feeding only and feed their dogs raw on those. I prefer newspaper since it's a lot easier to clean up. Smile

Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Help me get my hubby on board with raw...   Help me get my hubby on board with raw... EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 5:07 pm

*lol* My hubby is super OCD clean-freak, too. It's like "the odd couple" every day at our house. Hahhaa... I'm still trying to find ways to make raw cheaper than kibble/canned, but I have yet to find a place that sells raw meat for super cheap and we're still waiting to get a chest freezer so we can stock up. At this point, the cost is about the same for each, but since we've been going the raw route, Nikolai's teeth have shown AMAZING improvement. Like, night and day better. Oye. I'll keep workin' on him and maybe subscribe to the paper so we have that as an option for cleanup.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Help me get my hubby on board with raw...   Help me get my hubby on board with raw... EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Can you just feed him in a crate? I feed mine in their crates or outside if I give them raw, because they too will pull it out of their bowls.

Help me get my hubby on board with raw... Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Help me get my hubby on board with raw...   Help me get my hubby on board with raw... EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 6:35 pm

Darn, my house is going to smell like dead fish if I ever get to feeding raw. First of all, anything Ginger can hold in her paws, she will. So if I gave her a small whole fish, I'm afraid she'll take, lay down, and hold it sticking straight up between her paws to eat it. Not only would I have to clean the floor, but I'd have to clean her paws and who knows what depending if she'll be messy. If I have to cut it up so she'll eat it out of her bowl, then my hands will be fishy...and she'll probably want to lick my hands ALL the time since it'll smell like fish!

I guess I better invest in those thin, disposable kitchen gloves....

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Help me get my hubby on board with raw...   Help me get my hubby on board with raw... EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 7:21 pm

You're brave to feed fish, I won't come near it. Too smelly for me! Razz You could feed it to her in the kitchen on a towel to reduce the mess. If she holds it with her paws just wipe her paws with a wet wipe before she goes traipsing through the house.

PostSubject: Re: Help me get my hubby on board with raw...   Help me get my hubby on board with raw... Empty

Back to top Go down

Help me get my hubby on board with raw...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1