It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

14 week old puppy still cries at night - Help :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ben&Milo
Newborn
Newborn
Ben&Milo

Male Join date : 2015-09-10

14 week old puppy still cries at night - Help :(  Empty
PostSubject: 14 week old puppy still cries at night - Help :(    14 week old puppy still cries at night - Help :(  EmptyTue Dec 08, 2015 6:52 am

Hi Guys, I hope some of you have some advice.

Milo's been home for over 5 weeks now and he still cries in the night. Some nights (not many) he sleeps right through and wakes up fine with no accidents.
Other nights he howls for a good hour or so.

We're crate training him and he is brilliant throughout the day time when we are in work ( for around 2 hours alone time) but as soon as night time comes it's a different story.

His crate is in the kitchen, we leave a radio on quietly for him and he still loves to sing us a song all night long.

Any advice / tips will be amazing!

Thanks x
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: 14 week old puppy still cries at night - Help :(    14 week old puppy still cries at night - Help :(  EmptyTue Dec 08, 2015 12:14 pm

Have you tried moving his crate into where you are sleeping?
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: 14 week old puppy still cries at night - Help :(    14 week old puppy still cries at night - Help :(  EmptyTue Dec 08, 2015 12:16 pm

Sara gave you my suggestion. The other one I can suggest is to use a sheet at night, that way the crate transforms into a true den, and it's dark, therefore he should get sleepy and settle down quicker.
Back to top Go down
Sarah20
Puppy
Puppy
Sarah20

Female Join date : 2015-11-04

PostSubject: Re: 14 week old puppy still cries at night - Help :(    14 week old puppy still cries at night - Help :(  EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 12:29 pm

If he doesn't see anyone before he gets put to sleep, he will cry. He's a baby! Mine is 15 weeks and he cries when he doesn't see any of us for 10 minutes lol! Renee is right, try putting a sheet or something on top of his crate and/or trying moving it to your room so he sees and hears you at night. Also, I used to play with my puppy before bed to tire him out a little so he didn't cry.
Back to top Go down
joemamma474
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2015-02-28

PostSubject: Re: 14 week old puppy still cries at night - Help :(    14 week old puppy still cries at night - Help :(  EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 12:53 pm

What is the routine with the crate at night? Does he get let out at all when he does cry? Do you let him out periodically to go relieve himself?

The biggest problem most people have with crate training is consistency. If anything about his crying gets him what he wants, he'll be sure to keep doing it. The crying is really pretty normal for a young puppy though. I think ours probably did it for about two months before he stopped, and now he loves it. We just had to live with a noise machine, and fan, and earplugs until he stopped.

Does he have anything in the crate with him? A safe toy he can chew on to keep him occupied at night and vent his frustration?

I agree with covering the crate. We did that early on (until he started trying to eat the blanket) and it seemed to help. I'm not sure about moving the crate though, since he'll probably keep crying but just be doing closer to you.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: 14 week old puppy still cries at night - Help :(    14 week old puppy still cries at night - Help :(  EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 1:14 pm

Joe, the main point in moving the crate to the bedroom, is because they are pack animals. They tend to settle down better knowing they are closer to their people. Our first night in our new house we decided to keep Miya in the garage where she always slept. She howled and fussed, brought her in next to our bed, and slept through the night with no issue. Many cry more the farther away they are.
Back to top Go down
joemamma474
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2015-02-28

PostSubject: Re: 14 week old puppy still cries at night - Help :(    14 week old puppy still cries at night - Help :(  EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 11:37 pm

Oh I understand that was the point. I just worried for them that it would not necessarily remedy it and then they would be dealing with even louder crying. As much as they are pack animals and enjoy that sense of belonging (I started out sleeping in front of his crate the first few nights since he wouldn't cry when I was touching him) sometimes people can take it too literally and not recognize that dogs are still aware we are people and are different from them. That's all. If it works then that is great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 14 week old puppy still cries at night - Help :(    14 week old puppy still cries at night - Help :(  Empty

Back to top Go down

14 week old puppy still cries at night - Help :(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1