It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Issues with Puppy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DjSamphard
Newborn
Newborn
DjSamphard

Male Join date : 2015-10-06

puppy - Issues with Puppy Empty
PostSubject: Issues with Puppy   puppy - Issues with Puppy EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 6:40 pm

Hello everyone. Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays.

I am having a few issues with my puppy. He is very aggressive and always is trying to bite people. No one wants to play with him because he is always trying to nip peoples hand, feet, or ankles puppy - Issues with Puppy 1625187496

I am also getting frustrated. For example, if I am working or doing something on the computer he will come right next to and try to bite my arm. When I took him to the vet they told me to grab him by the scruff and close his mouth shut with 2 fingers until he submits. It works but then he starts acting up again. Another thing I do is give him a 5-10 min time out in the washroom, with the lights off and door closed.

Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Issues with Puppy   puppy - Issues with Puppy EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 7:03 pm

DJ, I mentioned this when you brought your pup home at too young of an age, that this would be a significant issue you will encounter. By issuing pain, in the form of closing his mouth, you are just creating a more hyped up pup. The time out things can work, but if he gets amped up all over again then it's not working. He has 3 issues going on....1) he was never taught bite inhibition when he was under 10 weeks old by his mom and siblings. 2) he probably is starting to loose his baby teeth and needs something to gnaw on. and 3) he probably is not getting enough mental and physical exercise.

1) Nothing you can do about this until he is about a year old, when they naturally will learn bite inhibition, you will more than likely never get him to stop biting until then, except with a few things I will mention. 2) he needs something to chew on, toys and treats to sooth his mouth. Use toys and treats to redirect his nipping at you, so he can chew on appropriate items and not you. 3) If you haven't you need to start working more rigorously in basic commands and proper behavior. If he jumps at people, you need to have him on leash, and use your foot so he can not jump up, and start teaching him sit and stay. People do not like rude puppies. Also, so that he can understand proper times to use his teeth, you must be the one who starts and stops play. I would use a tug toy and teach him to use his mouth on a tugs, incorporate training, so when he drops the tugs give him a command, resume tugs when he does a command properly, the game is his reward. I would also hand feed at least one meal a day. This will encourage him to be gentle to you, and also he will learn to understand youu bring good things to those who are calm and gentle. Sit with him, and feed a few pieces of kibble, praise him when he is gentle, "good boy", you may also include wait before he can eat his pieces from you, this will slow him down and encourages him to be gentle. If he isn't gentle tell him, "be gentle". He must earn respect, and right now he doesn't have much for people, you need to be firm and gentle with him, while feeding talk to him in a soothing voice. Instead of using "no" use uh uh.

Good luck, it can get frustrating, I know I was there just like you, but be persistent and consistent in shaping him into what you want him to be as an adult.
Back to top Go down
DjSamphard
Newborn
Newborn
DjSamphard

Male Join date : 2015-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Issues with Puppy   puppy - Issues with Puppy EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 8:08 pm

I have practiced sit and stay. Every time i let him out the door to go for walks, potty, or to get treats and food I make sure he sits and calms down.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Issues with Puppy   puppy - Issues with Puppy EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 12:27 pm

you can incorporate the same sit, stay, calm down method when he wants to play also. Ignoring him when he is trying to incite play at inappropriate times (the jumping and nipping when you are trying to work), yelping loudly when he nips and turning away from him, then only giving him the play he seeks once he has settled and is waiting for you to play.

PostSubject: Re: Issues with Puppy   puppy - Issues with Puppy Empty

Back to top Go down

Issues with Puppy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1