It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Acana vs Timberwolf Vs orijen

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mountain Man
Newborn
Newborn

Acana vs Timberwolf Vs orijen Empty
PostSubject: Acana vs Timberwolf Vs orijen   Acana vs Timberwolf Vs orijen EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 12:32 am

Hello all,

I am picking up my new husky puppy from my breeder this week and have my foods down to these three brands, is there any near consensus on this forum as to wich brand/type would be best suited for a 9 week old pup?
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Acana vs Timberwolf Vs orijen   Acana vs Timberwolf Vs orijen EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 1:42 am

Welcome to the forum Mountain Man......I would not buy Timberwolf at all, they manipulate their numbers some, and say on their website that they can change a formula at any time. I also believe that their blends are way too low in meat, protein %'s are at the bare minimums and their fiber content, especially for puppies is abysmal. I have never been impressed with their food, although for some bizarre reason dog food advisor ranks it 5 out of 5 stars, despite their very dismal amount of meat in their foods.

Orijen is excellent, but they are on the other extreme, very high protein, which imho, should be for full grown working dogs.

Acana is sister product to Orijen, excellent food as well, and if you can get the puppy formula great, I am not positive with the transition if they will have the puppy available in the US, or if they will how easy it will be to get. Their puppy line is a little high in protein, but they have a fair amount of fiber, so it will be a matter of will a higher protein diet work for your puppy, that will be of course you feeding it and see how his poops will be.

So with that said I would choose out of the three Acana.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Acana vs Timberwolf Vs orijen   Acana vs Timberwolf Vs orijen EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 11:45 am

First, I would make sure you have plenty of whatever the breeder is feeding so that you can make your new pups transition to his/her new life a little less stressful. Once pup is settled in then would be a good time to start transitioning to a food of your choosing. I personally always buy a small 4 or 6 lb bag of whatever the breeder is feeding and then start transitioning to my food of choice once we get halfway through the bag of the food the breeder had them on. I find it just makes all the stress of transitioning so much easier on both of us, but that's just me.

You really cannot go wrong with Orijen or Acana. Both are highly recommended foods. As we all have to do, you'll just have to pick one and try it out and see how your pup does on it. After all, the food that is best for your pup is the one that agrees with him/her best. There is no one size fits all and we all have to do a little trial and error. Most of us are not lucky enough to have a dog that can eat any and everything we offer with nothing but success.

Thankfully Champion offers a nice variety of formulas throughout their Orijen and Acana lines so you should be able to find something that works for your pup and be able to rotate the formulas around for variety.

Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

PostSubject: Re: Acana vs Timberwolf Vs orijen   Acana vs Timberwolf Vs orijen EmptySat Feb 27, 2016 2:26 am

I'm an Orijen convert It has done wonders for my pup. When we got her, she barely ate at all. When we switched to Orijen Six Fish, she devoured it and her coat improved by leap and bounds.

Now the silly thing won't touch anything else. We tried to give her Acana and Merrick, and she refused to eat it.  The dork.

One thing that was really helpful; a lot of these good brands offer trial sized bags so you can give your dog just a few meals at a fraction of the price of a good bag to see how our dog likes it and how it affects his digestive system. When we tried Orijen, I got my dog that trial-sized Six Fishfor less than $15--way better than wasting $80 only to find she didnt like it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.siberiansamoyed.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Acana vs Timberwolf Vs orijen   Acana vs Timberwolf Vs orijen Empty

Back to top Go down

Acana vs Timberwolf Vs orijen

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1