It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

2 yr old female husky needs rescue/forever home

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stacy Ann
Newborn
Newborn
Stacy Ann

2 yr old female husky needs rescue/forever home Empty
PostSubject: 2 yr old female husky needs rescue/forever home   2 yr old female husky needs rescue/forever home EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 5:57 pm

Hello everyone. I am trying to find placement for a female husky that came into my possession back in January. She was originally found as a stray, a rescue took her in and asked me to foster her for a week until she could go on transport to a husky rescue in Florida. I agreed to fostering a 10 month old husky puppy for 1 week, and what it turned out to be was a 2 yr old female husky with some fear aggression/resource possessiveness issues and little to no bite inhibition. One week has also turned into 3 months. I have been asking the original rescue about networking her, trying to get her into a better foster situation, getting her vaccinated and spayed...and I get little to no response. They keep "forgetting" to schedule her vet appointment, they're "working on" getting her into rescue....but when I ask what rescues they've contacted, I get no response. I had briefly considered keeping her, as she has come so very far since January, but the reality is I'm not in a position to give her a permanent home. We have 6 dogs, 5 cats and 4 horses, my husband works offshore and is gone half the time, and I work 50+ hours a week. I take her to work with me, but she has to stay kenneled the majority of the day. Karma also has a very strong prey drive, so every day she is here, my cats are at risk. I know it is only going to take one slip up in managing her before one of my cats ends up dead. I am at a loss as to what to do. Karma is turning into a great dog, but she still needs a lot of work. I've suggested and offered to take her to obedience classes, but I can't afford it on my own. I've offered to take her to the vet for her vetting, but again, I cannot afford financially to do it on my own. I cannot in good conscience adopt out a dog that is not spayed or vaccinated, and she needs a specific type of home. She's also heartworm positive. She does great with other dogs, but needs caretakers who will earn her respect, not demand it. She was initially fear aggressive, very deep into survival mode. Touching her anywhere behind her ears was almost guaranteed to result in a bite. She was VERY defensive and on edge. She's since calmed down and will now ask for belly rubs, talk to me, let me take toys from her mouth, etc. She's still possessive over food/treats, however. She tests every new person she meets to determine if their worthy of her trust and affection. Once you're in, though....she's a mush. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any good rescues? It's not so much that I mind fostering her (although I know I am not the ideal foster for her, it is better than the pound or living on the streets), but at this point I don't think the original rescue is even looking for options for her. I checked into the one Siberian Husky rescue here in Alabama, but they only take dogs that have been turned into the shelter. I'm not willing to turn her over to a shelter in the hopes that they will pull her. She'd revert back to her fear aggression and be euthanized immediately for being scared and defensive. I'm at a loss as to what to do with her, other than to resign myself to keeping her and her spending most of her time kenneled. She was supposed to be going to a rescue that had a behaviorist to work with her and rehabilitate her, but that never happened.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: 2 yr old female husky needs rescue/forever home   2 yr old female husky needs rescue/forever home EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 8:14 pm

Stacy Ann, I read this last month when you posted it and thought that she sounds so much like my Sasha - just rougher. (( And I have the literal scars to prove that Sasha could be rough, too )) I'm in deep south Texas with two dogs of my own already - and at 69, I'm not ready to take on another challenge.

I do want to wish you the best of luck finding her a good home since I know too well the liability - emotional as well as physical and economic.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: 2 yr old female husky needs rescue/forever home   2 yr old female husky needs rescue/forever home EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 9:52 pm

You might try finding out who the behaviorist is and contact him. He might have contacts to help you out. My trainer knows about everyone in our local rescue industry and has helped transport dogs into better situations several times.

Teenager
Teenager
whitehusky3

Female Join date : 2016-02-10

PostSubject: Re: 2 yr old female husky needs rescue/forever home   2 yr old female husky needs rescue/forever home EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 2:53 pm

Can you give the rescue an ultimatum and tell them you're done fostering the dog unless you hear from them in regards to vet care and a home soon?

This is a Siberian Husky rescue in Alabama. Are these the ones you're working with? If not, maybe give them a call and find out if they can help you?

Alabama Siberian Husky Rescue

ETA: Never mind. I just read they don't take owner surrenders or strays for legal reasons. They only pull Huskies from shelters. Sad You might still be able to call them to ask for help on what to do, though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2 yr old female husky needs rescue/forever home   2 yr old female husky needs rescue/forever home Empty

Back to top Go down

2 yr old female husky needs rescue/forever home

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1