It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is This Husky Behaviour

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tsfrance
Puppy
Puppy

Male Join date : 2013-07-16

Is This Husky Behaviour  Empty
PostSubject: Is This Husky Behaviour    Is This Husky Behaviour  EmptySat Jun 25, 2016 11:52 am

I am a member of a couple of Facebook groups for Huskies and they are very enjoyable as they are for Husky lovers. The other day a poster posted a picture of her Husky just starring at the wall and she posted something like, he is so silly and he does this all the time. Well another person replied and gave her a link about how some serious medical issues can make a dog or a cat do that and push their heads into hard surfaces and that brings me to my Finley. When we rescued him at four months old he was pretty crazy and one thing he did a lot when he would be on the bed is push his head into the bed or the side of our body and then push his butt up into the air as high as he could get it. Now he is 3 years old and about once a day he comes into the living room to play with me and we have our little play sessions and sometimes but not always he will do the same thing. He will get behind me on the couch and shove his head into my back or if Im on the floor with him he may push his head into the couch and push his butt high into the air. I though this was Husky behavior as it looks like a typical Husky move. He does not do this everytime we play and to be honest, it almost seems like a move of affection. He does not do this everyday and he never does it any other setting, only when we are playing. He has never just randomly pushed his head into a wall or a hard surface. With all that said, after reading the article I am now worried. We have no proof but we always felt that whoever had him first abused him because he was a very mouthy puppy and he had scratch and bite marks in my arm constantly for the first year. Not mean biting but puppy biting and it was constantly. He also has had a little bump on the back of his head since day one. Vets and vet techs have petted him constantly and no one has ever said anything about it. Do any of your Huskies do the head down and butt up thing? I know my best recourse is to take him to a vet but before I did that I wanted to post this and see what everyone else has to say. I really do think it's a move of affection but at the same time im pretty nervous right now about it. Here is the link:

http://www.reshareworthy.com/recognizing-head-pressing-could-save-your-pets-lives/
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Is This Husky Behaviour    Is This Husky Behaviour  EmptySat Jun 25, 2016 12:26 pm

From your description, it sounds like he's trying to play.  I think the key to this is that it's long and continuous periods that should be of concern.

That bump on the back of his head is probably his occipital bump, it should be centered on his head behind the skull (or back of the ears).
The occipital bump is more pronounced in some breeds than it is in others. An old wives tale says that a more pronounced bump is an indicator of a dogs intelligence - now we know that Huskies are smarter than the average dog, but the occipital bump seems to be generally less pronounced than in, for example, labs or setters.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Is This Husky Behaviour    Is This Husky Behaviour  EmptySat Jun 25, 2016 12:41 pm

I agree with Al, I think it is just playful head butting, goofiness, my two does similar. What I would mention is, watch for the other signs if he is doing any other signs or you catch him head pressing a wall then maybe a vet visit. But from your description and from the article, it sounds to me he is just playing. Al is also correct on the Occipital bump. Hope that makes you feel better, and be more at ease.
Back to top Go down
tsfrance
Puppy
Puppy

Male Join date : 2013-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Is This Husky Behaviour    Is This Husky Behaviour  EmptySat Jun 25, 2016 1:09 pm

Thank you both and that does make me feel better. He has never done it out of the blue it only happens in our playtimes. Ive have never seen him pressing his head against a wall. I feel better. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is This Husky Behaviour    Is This Husky Behaviour  Empty

Back to top Go down

Is This Husky Behaviour

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1