It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppy Biting

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptyWed May 02, 2012 10:02 pm

I think I am really lucky with this, Balon does this play biting too, but everytime he has done it we tell him "no Bites" and turn our backs on him, everytime he immediately stops. And he is doing this less and less! My lab still play bites once in a while and she is 10 months, wish she would listen like Balon does lol!
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

Female Join date : 2012-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptySun May 27, 2012 6:15 pm

LoL. This has been a big issue with us and Snow. It never occurred to me to yelp like a dog. But she just mouthed me and I yelped and she stopped. Amazing. I <3 this forum.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 11:23 pm

I read about time outs, how do I do that? Do I put Freya in a room (bathroom maybe?), and for how long?

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

Male Join date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 11:27 pm

Quote :
I read about time outs, how do I do that? Do I put Freya in a room (bathroom maybe?), and for how long?
I personally don't like time outs.. I think it would be much more effective if YOU leave the room and shut the door for like a minute then come back. If you put her in "timeout" she is like whyyy am I here. If you leave after she nips she is sad you left and knows why you left.

The best advise (IMO) is to yelp and ignore her when she bites.. If she wants to be chewing something fill a kong with some food or peanut butter and redirect her chewing to that every time she starts. If it is nipping and not chewing just yelp.

Just my opinion though lots of people have different ones.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 12:01 am

agreed. But also, learn to decipher between biting and mouthing - mouthing is affectionate. Cato cant give me a hug, but he sure can sit on the couch for a half hour with my hand in his mouth lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 11:59 am

If you are dealing with a puppy who is teething the biting and chewing are going to be worse. The frozen towel (well in our case toy) trick worked wonders for Saphire and still is. Just be careful that you don't freeze something that resembles something you don't ever want them chewing on. (i.e. don't give them a frozen towel if you don't want them to chew your towels, they can't tell the difference) I took a toy rope with knots in it, got it damp and froze it. Saphire loves to chew on it and will leave almost everything else alone.

Also when she bites while playing, I start by pinching her lip, just enough to get her attention, looking her directly in the eye and firmly telling her "no bite" this is usually enough to stop the behavior. If it doesn't play time is over, end of discussion. It took a little bit to get this technique to work, but now we can play with no trouble.
Back to top Go down
artoaky
Teenager
Teenager
artoaky

Male Join date : 2012-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 2:40 pm

luna would nip and me when she was little. I would just scream "OUCH" and pull my hand away from here. She would come up to me and lick me. They know what the deal it. You could also use a yelping noise. Worked for Luna should work for your pup.
Back to top Go down
spurlinc
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 4:17 pm

Hi,

I am new to the husky world and we recently adopted a husky/aussie mix who is about 9 weeks old. We have had him a week today. We have noticed that he is very mouthy and bites us during play and even if he is not biting us he snaps at the air at us. We don't know a good way to correct this because when we say, "No" he growls at us and snaps at the air. My fear is that we won't be able to correct this behavior and he'll grow to be an 80lb dog and will still be biting people. I read that Aussie's have a purring sound that they make that sounds similar to a growl. I can't tell if he is making this purring sound or if it is an actual growl. If someone could please give us some advice on how to put a stop to the constant biting and the difference between a purr and a growl we would greatly appreciate it!!
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 7:31 pm

Snow is still biting :/ And it seems to be getting worse. She also bites at the air, especially near our faces. And our neighbor gifted her some bones and she got aggressive while she had it just by touching her back Sad She bites at the kids' clothes and jumps on them non stop.
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 10:36 pm

My method is tried and true, but it's also a bit assertive. Just shove as much of your hand and arm down the dog's throat as possible. If need be, chase it down and keep forcing the issue. This is something I do not tolerate be it affectionate mouthing or puppy nipping. Dog teeth on human skin = no.
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 10:39 pm

This will make them stop? I don't want to tolerate it, I just don't know how to stop it. I might need detailed description of how to do this.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 10:42 pm

Kale was just like this. The only thing that curbed it was a physical correction. Im pretty sure i described it earlier in this thread.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 10:46 pm

Just like you're reaching in the throat to remove an object. Engage the gag reflex within a second or two of the nip and the dog will get the message. Mouth on 'x' = gag.

Forgot to also mention that it's a bit of a messy technique as well.
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 10:54 pm

Hmm. I can try this. I don't care if she vomits as long as it doesn't hurt her which I'm sure not or you wouldn't do it. I just worry she'll clamp down on me :/
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 2:52 am

Okay Ares is a little over 5 months old. He is soooo mouthy! He jumps up on me when I'm on the couch and just starts biting my arms, also when I come home he jumps on me and bites my arms, and it hurts! Sad I tried the putting my hand in the back of his mouth, but it doesn't work. Since he was a neglected/abused dog I don't like yelling at him, he gets very easily frightened and will start peeing Sad

He starts puppy class next week, but I don't think this is something they'll fix in an 8 week class Sad
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 10:43 am

I Just tried vinegar/water in a spray bottle this morning. He jumped on my son and started to bite at him. I sprayed him once in the face and said "Down!" sternly. When she tried it again all I had to do was say "Down!" again and she is now listening when I say Down without having to spray her. I'll be doing the same with Leave It if she bites at me.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 10:51 am

Jennet, how are you responding to the bites?

biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 10:57 am

LifeInSnowMotion wrote:
Snow is still biting :/ And it seems to be getting worse. She also bites at the air, especially near our faces. And our neighbor gifted her some bones and she got aggressive while she had it just by touching her back Sad She bites at the kids' clothes and jumps on them non stop.

This sounds like a very frustrated puppy. How much human interaction is Snow getting a day? How much exercise? I always see this type of behavior with dogs who are being kenneled far too long for the amount they are being exercised or who are being shut out. I'm not saying you're doing this to be cruel but that's usually where the behaviors pop up. They go into an almost temper tantrum biting whatever they can and snapping at the air like that.

I know you have young children who can't properly tell Snow what is acceptable and what is not... but he needs to be interacting with them while you are there. If he gets out of control he needs to be removed and then reintroduced with 2-3 minutes. It's best to have him on a leash for this. The best time to have Snow interact with everyone is after a walk or a yard play session.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:01 am

Snow is almost NEVER in her crate. And she is around the kids very often, but never alone without my supervision. She gets walked when my husband comes home from work and I take her out often for potty and then allow her to play for quite awhile after she has gone. She is confined to the dining/living room which is where I am all day long. She's basically with me all day O.o
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:03 am

LifeInSnowMotion wrote:
Snow is almost NEVER in her crate. And she is around the kids very often, but never alone without my supervision. She gets walked when my husband comes home from work and I take her out often for potty and then allow her to play for quite awhile after she has gone. She is confined to the dining/living room which is where I am all day long. She's basically with me all day O.o

Please don't take offence... The behaviors you are concerned with are behaviors that are seen 9/10 with puppies who aren't being given the amount of interaction and mental stimulation that they need. I'm simply trying to help.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:16 am

No offense was taken at all! I'm just letting you know that that is not the case here. I have been thinking I need to get up in the morning before my husband goes to work and walk her then as well. It's easier to walk her without the kids and me having to keep an eye on them and her at the same time. Other than that and the evening walks and letting her play outside awhile after each potty break (which there are several :p) and constantly interacting with her in the home, what else should I be doing? The spray seems to be working better than anything I've tried so far.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:18 am

LifeInSnowMotion wrote:
No offense was taken at all! I'm just letting you know that that is not the case here. I have been thinking I need to get up in the morning before my husband goes to work and walk her then as well. It's easier to walk her without the kids and me having to keep an eye on them and her at the same time. Other than that and the evening walks and letting her play outside awhile after each potty break (which there are several :p) and constantly interacting with her in the home, what else should I be doing? The spray seems to be working better than anything I've tried so far.
I would suggest the walk in the morning just as an added precaution. Remember it can't be too long because she's so young, but the free play you give her and everything is good. Another way to exhaust her mentally and give her stimulation is training. Spend 10 mins a couple of times a day going through tricks and teaching her different things. This time helps your bond with her and also helps exhaust her.

That and the spray bottle and you might be onto something Smile Every dog is different.

Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:22 am

We do 5 minutes, lol! I have tried longer but she gets distracted easily so I figure 5 minutes a couple of times through out the day suits her. She does sit very well and we are working on lay which I think she has now finally started to get that one.
It's only been one day with the bottle, actually more like 3 hours >.< But she catches on very well to things so I am really hoping this one sticks. The only bad thing is she now smells like vinegar :o
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 2:41 pm

Koda wrote:

I push him away, I was putting my hand in my mouth and pushing back so he would release, but it didn't stop him. I tried yelling ow loudly, but it scared him Sad
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 3:21 pm

Jennet&amp;Embry wrote:
Koda wrote:

I push him away, I was putting my hand in my mouth and pushing back so he would release, but it didn't stop him. I tried yelling ow loudly, but it scared him Sad
I think you're being too timid just because he was yelled at. If that's what gets a reaction out of him, use it to your advantage. You aren't going to hurt him. If anything, it will train him both ways: that he shouldn't bite and that yelling doesn't mean someone is going to hurt him.

Yelp, more than yell, and give him something else to redirect his biting. Put a toy in his mouth and praise him. Use a combination of things so that he knows he isn't being punished.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   biting - Puppy Biting - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppy Biting

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next