It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Are black gums normal?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Are black gums normal? Empty
PostSubject: Are black gums normal?   Are black gums normal? EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi everybody! I just noticed today that Mya's gums are black. I'm not really sure if they've always been black or not, but I was just wondering if any of your huskies have black gums? Kody's are pink, but he's only 6months. I tried finding pics of Mya exposing her teeth, but haven't had much luck. I also googled it and didn't get much of an answer.

I call my vet for anything so I wanted to ask here before bugging him AGAIN.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Are black gums normal?   Are black gums normal? EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Yup - Nikolai's mouth is almost totally black (lips, roof of mouth, gums). I deem it "normal."
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Are black gums normal?   Are black gums normal? EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 6:46 pm

Oh, good! I was about to starting freaking out! lol
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Are black gums normal?   Are black gums normal? EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 7:49 pm

It's so funny that you asked that. Yesterday I just noticed the same thing with Frankie and I wasn't sure if they have always been that way or not. Glad I'm not alone.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Are black gums normal?   Are black gums normal? EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 9:27 pm

I'm glad that I'm not alone also!!! I about to freak!!! How old is Frankie again? Are you going to be able to make it to the meet up next weekend? =)
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Are black gums normal?   Are black gums normal? EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 9:40 pm

I'm not sure exactly how old Frankie is. Based on the vets estimates we gave him a march 1st birthday, so he's about 2 now.

It's looking like we should be able to make it on Saturday Very Happy It's the 26th right?
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Are black gums normal?   Are black gums normal? EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 9:41 pm

Awww he's a young boy! =) Yay! Yes, this coming Saturday!
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Are black gums normal?   Are black gums normal? EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 9:48 am

Heh. Just one more topic I seemed to have missed lately. Looks like you've figured out that is normal. Ridik's gums are fairly dark too. That is something you should be familiar with...
https://www.itsahuskything.com/t897-baseline-health-information

In the last picture you get a super clear look at those gums.

(Anyone else notice that "gums" is not in the FireFox dictionary?)
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Are black gums normal?   Are black gums normal? EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 10:42 am

Ginger's gums and lips are pink! Smile
...and of course, never noticed until Sully came to live with us for a couple of weeks that most other dogs have black gums!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Are black gums normal?   Are black gums normal? EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 12:42 pm

Cool thread Eddy! Thanks =)
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Are black gums normal?   Are black gums normal? EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 1:55 pm

Dakota's are a mix of black and pink which is also perfectly normal. Smile

Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Are black gums normal?   Are black gums normal? EmptySat May 07, 2011 5:53 am

I don't think that's normal but I had seen huskies with black tongue before. It may be because of genetic factors and if that's the cause then its just normal. Is it black since birth?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Are black gums normal?   Are black gums normal? EmptySat May 07, 2011 4:45 pm

SiberianHuskySibhee wrote:
I don't think that's normal but I had seen huskies with black tongue before. It may be because of genetic factors and if that's the cause then its just normal.

For this breed, it is certainly normal. Wink

PostSubject: Re: Are black gums normal?   Are black gums normal? Empty

Back to top Go down

Are black gums normal?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1