It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What are you feeding your Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

Female Join date : 2011-10-02

What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 3:53 pm

Cool, that sounds easy enough! Smile
Back to top Go down
guineapig05
Puppy
Puppy
guineapig05

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 4:33 pm

I just switched Smokey from EVO onto Taste of the Wild, because his stools were always runny and different colors. He is now on Blue Buffalo because pn Taste of the Wild he was loseing weight no matter how much he ate. Even though he did really love eating both foods and had healthy coat. He loves the blue buffalo, but he has only been on it a few days, so its still mixed with his totw.

I think the EVO was to high in protien for him and had a high calorie count. The TOTW had to low of a calorie count. Hopefully the Blue BUffalo will be good.

Smokey is a poop walker to. He is also quite weird he will not poop if you are watching him. If he sees you watching he will quit. He also will not poop in any spot except his special spot in out yard.
Back to top Go down
Piper
Puppy
Puppy
Piper

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 9:22 pm

Quote :
And she's a walking pooper...Can't stand it. But whenever she has THK her poop is so much better
hehe Mine run and poop at the same time. It's the worst having to scrape dog poo off your sled runners before you wax them. tongue
Back to top Go down
http://www.smallmightyracing.weebly.com
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 1:00 am

Piper wrote:

hehe Mine run and poop at the same time. It's the worst having to scrape dog poo off your sled runners before you wax them. tongue

rofl! I hope you wear goggles!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 1:02 am

pixipanda wrote:
Piper wrote:

rofl! I hope you wear goggles!

LMAO! Kale walks in a circle when he poops, so we have poop circles in the backyard haha Wink
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 1:13 am

hypers987 wrote:

LMAO! Kale walks in a circle when he poops, so we have poop circles in the backyard haha Wink

Ghost does the same thing! It's so funny!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Elvismyhusky
Newborn
Newborn
Elvismyhusky

Female Join date : 2011-09-16

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 9:14 am

I feed Elvis Wellness but i am thinking of switching to Blue
Back to top Go down
myndsplyntur
Puppy
Puppy
myndsplyntur

Female Join date : 2009-11-11

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 2:52 pm

We just switched Roxy from Evo Weight Management to Taste of the Wild Wetlands (duck) formula. She's a lot more active now than she used to be, and was getting a little too skinny. So we swapped her to this to hopefully maintain.

I was thinking of mixing the Evo and the TOTW together... anyone do this?
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 3:52 pm

I use Canidae 4 meat and she likes it but it take her a long time to go through a bag. I am on the same bag from January. I have tried the taste of the wild and blue buffalo and she turns her head to it. She thinks eating is a teat and loves to eat her regular food out of her purple treat bottle. If its empty I get smacked in the knee with the empyt bottle until I refill it. She's a liitle weird I guess. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 3:55 pm

When do you guys recommend switching from puppy to adult food? Some of the books we got before we got Ghost recommend switching Sibes as young as 6 months because the higher calcium content can lead to hip dysplasia.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 4:08 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
When do you guys recommend switching from puppy to adult food? Some of the books we got before we got Ghost recommend switching Sibes as young as 6 months because the higher calcium content can lead to hip dysplasia.

I switched Kale when he was 7 1/2 - 8 months old Smile
Back to top Go down
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 4:14 pm

Wow, that early? I thought I read something about 10-12 months, but I don't think it was husky specific. Darn, I just bought a 30lb bag of puppy food, too! Ah well.
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 4:25 pm

I've never swithched, the canidae is an all stages formula from puupy to adult, which is really nice.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 4:31 pm

Kale was on blue buffalo puppy and I switched him to ToTW wetlands, which is all life stages. So technically I didn't switch him off puppy food haha even though that was my intention. Laughing He didn't like that food very much though Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 5:38 pm

I'm thinking about doing that when Ghost gets a little older, now that I've found a place that carries TOTW here in town. Ghost has only gone through one picky period, and I think that was due more to teething than anything. Hopefully she'll like whatever we decide to switch her to when the time comes. We've had her on Blue Wilderness puppy since about 3 weeks after we got her, and she does great on it.

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 8:31 pm

Meredith, for sibes I'd feed a puppy formula up to 12 - 18 months. They're a medium size breed so I wouldn't be too concerned about the dysplasia as a result of feeding, if they do end up with it I'd expect it to be more than likely genetically inherited. I'd feed puppy formula up to 12 months for a sibe if I had a pup. I personally wouldn't switch to adult food (unless it's all life stages) until 8 months at the earliest unless it was really necessary to switch for whatever reason earlier than that.

Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 8:32 pm

Thanks, Val!

Back to top Go down
MicroBrewer
Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

Male Join date : 2011-10-20

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 6:51 pm

We rescued Brewer (~2yr old Male Sibe) a little over 3 months ago, and have fed the following kibble:

1) Nutri Source - Chicken & Rice Blend - 1.5 cups 2x per day with varied interest and softer stool. We discontinued due to amount grain / fillers.

2) Natures Domain - Salmon & Sweet Potato Blend - 1 cup 2x per day + Wellness Core - Ocean Blend - .25 cup 2x per day with a bit more consistent interest but still not eating every meal and probably a bit softer stool than straight up Nutri Source

3) Natures Domain - Salmon & Sweet Potato Blend - 1 Cup 2x per day + Innova Evo - Salmon & Hearing Blend - .25 Cup 2x per day with consumption and stool being pretty similar to #2

4) Natures Domain - Turkey & Sweet Potato Blend - 1 cup 2x per day + Innova Evo - Salmon & Hearing Blend - .25 Cup 2x per day with decreased consumption and similar stool to #3

Observations:

Brewer has never had firm stool, and all but a couple times he has had what I refer to as "soft serve"...think individual pieces of DQ sundae.

When eating 2 meals per day he always goes poo 2x per day...sometimes 3x per day.

Not one of the above combinations has he been consistently excited for and consumed.

When we took ownership he was 46lbs and is now ~50lbs...possibly less due to current eating habits. IMHO...he could stand to put a few lbs on, but consistently eating the food that is put in front of you is key here.

Being relatively new to Sibe ownership, I am looking for recommendations on the next step(s) in figuring out the ideal diet for Brewer. Whether that be different brands, Protein/Fat/Carb ratios, amount of food per day, etc...

Thanks in advance!

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 7:01 pm

i know im not the best to answer but with him being about 2 and you have put some weight on him (he will fill out with age, starting this yr) i would maybe try mixing the ND (we use the salmon) with either the Evo or wellness if you have any left and make it a 50/50 mix and only feed one cup in the am and one cup at night. he could be getting to much food, hence all the pooing.
i do a 50/50 mix of TOTW (diff flavors each new bag) with the Nature Domain for our boy and our girl gets a reduced cal mix of wellness and ND. or have you tried just feeding the ND? the Evo and wellness might be to rich of a protein mix but i would have to check the info to be sure of that.

oh and an added thought, what treats are you feeding if any? those could be the issue....

Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 7:05 pm

Huskies are notoriously picky eaters. Frequently switching food will encourage them to be more picky, since they might just decide that they can hold out for a "better" food tomorrow!

I am noticing that most of your foods have had some kind of fish as its primary protein source. Huskies tend to tolerate fish well, but others here on the forum may be better qualified to comment as to whether you might want to consider a different protein source.

Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 7:07 pm

jbealer wrote:

oh and an added thought, what treats are you feeding if any? those could be the issue....

Good point, Jenn!

Sabaka got messed up with that Everlasting Treat Ball that is full of wheat.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 7:10 pm

SabakaMom wrote:
I am noticing that most of your foods have had some kind of fish as its primary protein source.
Oh i had thought to mention that and forgot! another thing to thing about!

Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 7:17 pm

I am stuck at work currently and it is my "running" day, so I will report back on treats and quantities later tonight.

Thanks for replies thus far...
Back to top Go down
MicroBrewer
Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 11:05 pm

Here goes with the treats...

When we are doing obedience training we use the following(10-15 pieces):
-String cheese
-Vital by Freshpet

When rewarding for good behavior we use the following (2-3x per day on avg):
-Duck & Cherry sojos by Sojourner Farms
-Buffalo Liver Bonus Bites by Bravo
-Smiling dog dry-roasted beef liver by Herbsmith Inc
-Vitality beef & veggies by Dogswell

Brewer's diet also includes a small amount of peanut butter and the occasional small serving of milk or plain greek yogurt. We do our best to keep any table scraps to an absolute minimum (read as maybe one piece once a week).

Getting back to the kibble...

The Evo is about out and we will be switching to a newly purchased bag of TOTW Sierra Mountain. Maybe we can slowly work towards a 50:50 mix of the ND & TOTW???

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 11:22 pm

ND and TOTW are almost the same, I would just do the split. I do it that way to keep cost down on the food

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 15 Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you feeding your Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 15 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22 ... 29  Next