It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Milk Thistle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Female Join date : 2015-06-16

Milk Thistle Empty
PostSubject: Milk Thistle   Milk Thistle EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 6:32 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations for which brand of milk thistle they like? Also, does anyone know what dose is best for preventative measures? I'm getting mixed results in my research.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Milk Thistle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Milk Thistle   Milk Thistle EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 6:52 pm

If i recall i was trying that with Sierra for her liver, what are you trying to use it for?

Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Milk Thistle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Milk Thistle   Milk Thistle EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 7:02 pm

Loki has been put on phenobarb for seizures. It's 60 mg twice a day. It will probably be adjusted up or down depending on how he does in the next month. I was reading a few things for canine epilepsy that mentioned those on phenobarb benefit from milk thistle in preventing liver damage.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Milk Thistle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Milk Thistle   Milk Thistle EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 7:16 pm

I do not believe any dose is recommended for prevention. Milk Thistle, similar to dandelion, should not be used long term. It is a blood thinner and can cause some serious issues if used too much. Most give for a couple weeks once a year is all, usually at the end of summer when people stop with the pesticides or after getting them vaccinated. Animal Essentials used to make a supplement and I have liked their brand of other supplements. They tend to have clear dosing instructions. Do not give with other supplements and go over it with your vet before mixing it with any medications.

Edited to Add: Forgot he was on seizure meds for a second there. Those who use it regularly for reasons similar to yours that I have talked to use it for a couple weeks then go off it for a few weeks, then do another round. So a potential schedule based on how much and how often you are having to give his meds would look like two weeks on, then two weeks off. You for the first little while as you are getting used to using it I would keep close tabs on blood work and other things.

Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Milk Thistle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Milk Thistle   Milk Thistle EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 7:28 pm

Really? Dang, thanks Jenn. I guess I'm just going to have to stop getting info off those canine health websites, they never mentioned anything about that. Scary stuff.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Milk Thistle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Milk Thistle   Milk Thistle EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 7:35 pm

There is a wealth of information on the internet. Some is very good and some is about half the information you really need. Milk thistle is a great tool in moderation. I think Loki could definitely benefit from it. Just use it carefully.

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Milk Thistle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Milk Thistle   Milk Thistle EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 7:47 pm

I think my mother-in-law uses the Standard Process brand but she used it for an actual health issue, not for preventative measures.

Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Milk Thistle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Milk Thistle   Milk Thistle EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 7:55 pm

Haha the internet is dark and full of terrors. It looks like animal essentials has a special liver blend: https://www.chewy.com/animal-essentials-liver-defense/dp/125414

Thanks again for the info about the blood thinning. Scary to think I might have just given it to him without realizing it might have some risks to it.
Back to top Go down
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Milk Thistle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Milk Thistle   Milk Thistle EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 7:59 pm

Valerie, is it ok if I ask what the health issue was and if she saw improvement with it? If you're not comfortable divulging that I totes understand.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Milk Thistle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Milk Thistle   Milk Thistle EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 8:50 pm

Danielle, I know it's been discussed in older threads here, by members who have/had seizuring huskies. I can't remember the threads offhand, but if I could find it, anyone can, lol. Quite a few members here were/are using it.

Can I ask, did Loki have more seizures that prompted the pheno prescription? Many, many vets will just put a seizuring dog on pheno right away when it may not be necessary. If I recall correctly, a dog seizuring more than once in a month, and/or having cluster seizures, are candidates for meds
Back to top Go down
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Milk Thistle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Milk Thistle   Milk Thistle EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 9:24 pm

I searched for milk thistle but nothing relevant came up. I'll pour through the seizure threads and see if it might be buried in there. Not sure how the search algorithms on this site work.

Yeah he had three seizures in a day two days ago. Blood work turned up nothing, unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Milk Thistle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Milk Thistle   Milk Thistle EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 9:33 pm

Yeah, I wasn't searching milk thistle when I saw it, it was in seizure threads.

Sorry about Loki's seizures, Danielle. My first husky to seizure, was put on pheno (cluster seizures...severe) and it wasn't pleasant for a little while. I felt so bad for him Sad don't be discouraged, it does get better. I can't stress enough though that this med has to be given on a very strict schedule and keep all his blood work appointments that will monitor the level of pheno in his system. It's extremely important. Also don't be discouraged should he still seizure on meds, you will probably still see seizures breakthrough, I know I did.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

Milk Thistle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Milk Thistle   Milk Thistle EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 11:01 pm

Rumflower wrote:
Valerie, is it ok if I ask what the health issue was and if she saw improvement with it? If you're not comfortable divulging that I totes understand.

Honestly, I cannot remember since the dog she was giving it to passed away years ago. I believe it was something liver related but I cannot remember specifics.

Huskyluv

Milk Thistle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Milk Thistle   Milk Thistle EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 11:28 pm

Asked my mother-in-law about the milk thistle. Turns out she still gives it to all her dogs (daily) to keep their liver enzymes in check.

Milk Thistle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Milk Thistle   Milk Thistle Empty

Back to top Go down

Milk Thistle

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1