It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky harness.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 1:44 am

What is the most comfortable/inexpensive harness for my husky I want to start pulling and be as comfortable as possible
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 2:55 am

http://alpineoutfitters.net

they make custom harnesses for you Smile
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 10:47 am

Alpine Outfitters make the x-back harness made for pulling which allows your Sibe to pull from the chest. Another place which makes x-back harnesses is Adanac Sleds. They are both comparable in price. They also sell the gangline which has a bungee built in which softens the yank when they take off. They have different versions depending if you are going to skijor, or scooter/bikejor or sled.

There are other multi-sport harnesses both places make. All come fleece padded in the right places for comfort.

Newborn
Newborn
Jimmy

Male Join date : 2011-04-23

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 2:58 pm

thanks for the information.
Back to top Go down
tritonsmom
Newborn
Newborn
tritonsmom

Female Join date : 2011-05-23

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 9:27 pm

Does anyone use the EzyDog Chest Plate Harness ( http://www.backcountryk9.com/294/0/Products.aspx )for their dogs? What is your opinion on them?

I'm planning to get a harness for Triton for his every day walks and an occasional bike ride when the walky dog bike leash comes in. Or should I just opt to spend some extra money and buy something like the custom ones at Alpine Outfitters or Ruff Wear harness.

Thanks!!
Back to top Go down

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 11:18 pm

Tiffany, I would invest in an Alpine or Ruffwear one. I have every harness ever and while I like the Ezy dog one, I really only use it in the car and to go into stores. I don't like walking or running with it as it slides a lot and doesn't stay in the right position (if you get what I mean?). I love my Ruffwear harness. It's Jarod and I's favorite. We've had it since Koda was 8 months and he is 3 yeas, 3 months now and in tip top shape. Just make sure you figure out what side Triton is since there sizing is sort of funky. Koda is a small at the largest setting and is 23.5" and 55lbs, lol.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 11:47 am

I love our ruffwear harness, however, I wouldn't ever use it for pulling. It doesn't look to distribute weight properly for pulling.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 1:47 pm

I have the EZYDog chest plat harness also, and it's good for car rides as it comes with a seat belt attachement, and it allows the dog to shift around (as Heather says it slides from side to side), but not move around in the car. I'll sometimes use it on walks as well, but if your dog is a puller, this will let your dog pull harder since it'll allow them to pull from the chest which is where they are they strongest. This could be a good harness for the Walky Dog, but like I said, if your dog a puller, you might want to start off with maybe a Martingale collar instead.

I like the EZYDog chest plate harness, but Storm has managed to back out of it once...

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 6:00 pm

I need to purchase a good harness for Mya and Kody. They'll mainly be using it while biking with the walky dog, but we'll also be using it on the camping trip (while on the tie outs and hike). I was looking into the X-Back OR the Web Master Harness from Ruff Wear (http://www.ruffwear.com/Web-Master-Harness?sc=2&category=1131). Which or these two do you guys think is stronger, less likely to break, and harder for them to back out of?

My main concern is them backing out of it while on the tie outs or it breaks while hiking Shocked

Any other suggestions are welcome also!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 6:42 pm

Check out the EZDog EZ fit harness.

X-back harness is designed more for 'pulling'. Don't think a dog can back out of it but it'll bunch up if they walk back.

EZ Dog is more multi purpose.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 6:49 pm

Thanks Claudia! I don't see an EZ Fit harness on their website though scratch

http://store.ezydog.com/categories/HARNESSES/

Maybe the chest plate harness?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 6:55 pm

Ooops...it's the quick fit harness.
Storm is smart enough to back out of the chest plate harness, so that may not be so good for all purpose.

I think the quick fit harness may be better for all around without the possibility of them backing out.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 9:19 pm

Thanks girl!
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Thanks. I was going to ask about this. Frankie has wrapped himself around a tree to back out of his harness before, so I worry about him being on a tie out.

For bike riding, I got a coupler and attach it to his harness and collar just for back up. I keep the collar side longer so it doesn't pull, but it is there if he tries to slip through the harness. It also still keeps my hands free.

Melissa- what kind of tie out are you using? Leash for hiking?
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 10:16 pm

I bike with their regular leash on also. I keep it loose so that it doesn't pull, but god forbid the they back out of the harness or it breaks we have a back up too!

I think I'm going to get this harness. I've watched the videos and I don't think (hope) that they can get out of it.

I have no CLUE what tie is the most secure! That going to be my next question! Assuming that we don't have a tree really close to us I'm going to need the stick also. I hope they can't pull it out of the ground Mad

For the leash, I'm taking their normal leash. I love it! The ruff wear Knot-a-Leash. It's super sturdy and I love the locking carabiner!

http://www.ruffwear.com/Knot-a-Leash_3
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 11:20 pm

For what it's worth: we hike with Appa's Knot-a-Leash, but we're looking into getting something with some bungee in it. If you haven't hiked with your pups before expect them to pull 1000x more than normal when you first get going. Appa is getting strong enough that I want some bungee to save my shoulder when we first start our hikes. After about 15 minutes he calms down and walks fairly normal (he rarely pulls on our daily walks).

Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 12:25 am

I really like the x-back's I got from alpine outfitters. I got the little strap to put under them so they can't back out of them. I also got the walking belt for me and the cord that has a bungee in it, one for my scooter and one for my walking belt. I really like them all! lol. The walking belt really saves my arm, but I think my neighbors think I"m crazy.

Husky harness.  Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
cmanding
cmanding

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 2:03 am

SaraB wrote:
I really like the x-back's I got from alpine outfitters. I got the little strap to put under them so they can't back out of them. I also got the walking belt for me and the cord that has a bungee in it, one for my scooter and one for my walking belt. I really like them all! lol. The walking belt really saves my arm, but I think my neighbors think I"m crazy.
ditto here!

Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 5:11 am

We have the webmaster for Frosti. Houdini can't get out of it - but when she pulls super hard (e.g. squirrel taunting her) - the positioning of the straps makes her vomit. We'll start using it again when she's better on leash.

For a leash, I use the Ruffwear Flatout waist leash! LOVE it! Hands free! When I walk them alone, I put them on the coupler and attach it to the Flatout. I have to plant myself with two feet apart if Mr Squirrel runs across our path - but I feel like I have better overall control with the waist leash.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 5:20 am

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
For a leash, I use the Ruffwear Flatout waist leash! LOVE it! Hands free! When I walk them alone, I put them on the coupler and attach it to the Flatout. I have to plant myself with two feet apart if Mr Squirrel runs across our path - but I feel like I have better overall control with the waist leash.

O goodness! lol I think I'd be on the ground with Kale pulling me if it was around my waist! lol! I'm only 115Ibs and am a huge klutz haha

I need a good harness too. I was looking into the Alpine Outfitters ones. But the RuffWear ones look really well made too... Decisions decisions ...
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 11:11 am

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
We have the webmaster for Frosti. Houdini can't get out of it - but when she pulls super hard (e.g. squirrel taunting her) - the positioning of the straps makes her vomit. We'll start using it again when she's better on leash.

I was looking at the webmaster also, but it's about $25 more than the QuickFit. Hmmmm....decisions decisions is right! I'll suck it up and pay an extra $50 for harnesses if it will give them the security that we're looking for. Ahhh what to do! I'm horrible at making decisions. LOL!

Claudia, you actually have the QuickFit harnesses, right?
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 12:15 pm

I bought the Webmaster about a year ago. Well let´s say I´m not that satisfied with it as I thought I would be. The straps get wider after some time, so you have to adjust them over and over again. Considering the high price of that harness I would expect to do this only once.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 2:28 pm

Hmmm, just thought about it and will a pack fit over the Webmaster? Probably not, huh? QuickFit looks like it could be worn with a pack as well, but I could be mistaken.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 2:45 pm

I have the chest plate harness from EZDog and Storm managed to back out of it. But it's a good harness to use for Walky dogging. The chest plate harness also comes with a seat belt attachment if you want to buckle up the furbabies in the car.

If you haven't bough a pack yet, check the Ruff Wear palisades pack. It comes with detachable packs from the and the harness is pretty good. So you'll get 2-in-1. It's also easier that trying to put on the packs - I put their harness on when we leave, then when we get to the trail, I clip on the packs - makes it so much easier than trying to put on a loaded pack that's part of the harness. This pack also comes with water bladders so your pups carry their own water. Just note though, you don't want them carrying more than 10% of their body weight. I usually make G&S carry all the food - theirs and ours. And we carry all the water. That way, our sandwiches don't get smashed! Razz

The Palisades pack is a little more, but I think you'll come out ahead vs. if you bought a pack seperate from another harness.

Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 4:22 pm

The Palisades Pack is the Webmaster harness with removable packs, it is not cheap but it is both things in one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Husky harness.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky harness.    Husky harness.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky harness.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next