It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Harness Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tsfrance
Puppy
Puppy

Male Join date : 2013-07-16

Harness Help Empty
PostSubject: Harness Help   Harness Help EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 3:29 pm

I have been using the same harness for a few years and it is the kind with multiple straps and we wanted to try out the kind that is almost just a one piece harness. So we bought one from a Facebook store and it seemed fine but the first time I took my dog out in it she pulled at a rabbit and that caused the leash to pull the harness back toward her butt and that caused the velcro strap across her chest to come undone. After putting it back on i did a little test and gave it a quick pull and the same thing happened. I looked at the Julias K9 harnesses and they have the exact same hook up. A snap in that goes around the body and then a velcro connection that goes around the chest. Do these types of harnesses need to be super tight around the body so they can't move backwards and then leave slack in the velcro connection?? Any thoughts, ideas or opinions would be appreciated. Even opinions on the best harness. I think I would prefer this type of harness but with no velcro and just a snap. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Harness Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Help   Harness Help EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 5:32 pm

I'm not a fan of any harness that had straps across the chest that cross the the shoulders. Too much chance of overuse injury to shoulder soft tissue.

Try CTC dog gear. Their harness slips over the head has 2 snaps to hook rather than step through.
https://www.ctcdoggear-usa.com/product-page/ctc-dog-gear-leash-holder
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

Harness Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Help   Harness Help EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 9:18 am

I use a kurgo harness that slips over the head and has 2 metal buckles. It is not eacape proof. I have yet to find one that is. I went with one that had metal buckles because i have had the plastic ones break.

2 of mine wear harnesses, both have the kurgo. We looked at ruffwear alao but i thought the snaps looked cheap and breakable. I would never even consider velcro.

My pet store lets me bring mine in to try things on and test them first

A little thing about plasic buckles i discovered with cheap tractor supply collars was that even a collar rated for a German shepherd can break if the leash goes from slack to pulling really quickly, just like you discovered with velcro. The cheap buckles can handle a constant pull but cant handle a sudden pull.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Harness Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Help   Harness Help EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 1:44 pm

I have the kurgo harnesses for car containment. Very easy to put on. I don't like walking my guys on them, first, they need prong collars, but second, the chest piece Isa bit too wide from my guys and rubs just a bit on the inner shoulder musculature. Otherwise I love the harnesses with the metal "nesting" buckles.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

Harness Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Help   Harness Help EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 6:09 pm

My terrier has injured himself pulling and a harness with the chest pad is what my vet recommended so that was the first kurgo and the second one came because sometimes spider gets squirrelly and slips collars or breaks collars. She actually can escape the kurgo as i found out last week at the vet, but so far its the most secure one ive found. I was really really paranoid about velcro and plastic and that took a huge number of options off the table.

Pound for pound huskies are the most powerful draft animal on the planet. And the force of going from slack to after something is hard on hardware and unprepared humans so i get the prong collar. My issue with prong collars is that they can really screw up a dog if used incorrectly.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Harness Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Help   Harness Help EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 12:39 pm

I've had a couple harnesses but don't walk my dogs on harness. I have an X back for biking and a kurgo for the car if we are doing long trips but my go-to is the wiess walkie leash. Basic leash that wraps under the chest and through a loop. It's essentially a slip lead for their chest rather than their neck and they cannot back out of it no matter how much they try.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Harness Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Help   Harness Help EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 1:14 pm

Have to use a prong like reins on a horse with a soft mouth!

The kurgo lasts a long time, as well. The one I use for Z'ev was one I purchased for Archer when he was a pup. Still going strong.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Harness Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Help   Harness Help EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 2:11 pm

i have a few ruffwear harnesses, one for walking, the simpler version and then the one for their backpack, never had it come undone. Finn has backed out of the daily one only after getting caught up in a tree or post though.

Puppy
Puppy

Male Join date : 2013-07-16

Harness Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Help   Harness Help EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 2:36 pm

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice. I think I will probably stick with the ones that we have been using for quite a few years. We have had multiple run in with loose dogs and rabbits and even coyotes and wild horse curiosity and have never had either of my two dogs get out of one. It think they take a few extra seconds to connect so I was looking for something a drop easier to put on. One dog is no issue putting on but my other one likes to turn it into a adventure!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Harness Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Help   Harness Help EmptyThu Jul 23, 2020 6:39 pm

https://ruffwear.com/collections/dog-harnesses/products/front-range-everyday-dog-harness
slip over head then 2 buckles, super easy to put on and secure, no leg loops or anything.

Newborn
Newborn

Harness Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Help   Harness Help EmptyFri Aug 07, 2020 8:35 am

Finally, something that might work on my pitbull. His neck is as big around as his skull, so he slips out of collars, as well as backing out of his tight fit harnesses.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Harness Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Help   Harness Help Empty

Back to top Go down

Harness Help

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1