|Husky of the Month|
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Thanks to all for this month's entries!
|1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.|
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Our current rescue spotlight is:|
Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!
Join date : 2019-03-05
Location : Wilmington, NC
|Subject: What to feed new puppy Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:57 pm|| |
I will be bringing my baby home on Monday and I'm SO excited!!
I would love some help with finding a food for her though, and here's why:
I know there are so many threads on here about what puppy food to feed but none of them have helped me out. For the time being, I need to feed her food that is on the cheaper side. I won't feed her cheap food forever, but just for right now. As soon as I can switch, I plan on switching her to Taste of the Wild, but that's not in the budget at the moment. Anyway, the breeder currently has her on Pedigree Puppy and I want to get her off of that junk ASAP!
I was thinking about feeding her Evolve since a large bag of it is only about $20 at Harris Teeter, and it has 4 stars on dogfoodadvisor but I wanted to ask for advice before I made a decision.
I've also done a lot of research on the regular puppy vs large breed puppy food and I understand that the breed is considered a medium breed, but my pup seems to look pretty big for only 7/8 weeks (maybe she's a normal size & I'm just uneducated) so that makes me wonder if I should feed her large breed?
also: huskies have be fed grain free right? I have heard that there are studies showing that feeding grain free when its not necessary can cause problems, but from what I've gathered on here, huskies pretty much require grain free food.
1. what's a decent affordable food?
2. should I feed regular puppy or large breed puppy?
3. do huskies require grain free?
Join date : 2018-04-07
Location : San Diego
|Subject: Re: What to feed new puppy Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:54 pm|| |
If Evolve fits your budget and has 4 stars on DFA, I'd go with that. I would feed puppy food.
Otherwise, feed Costco/ Nature's Domain puppy food.
Dogs don't require grain free food (barring allergies), but it seems to be generally accepted that they don't need grains. And I've heard that they don't have the needed digestive enzymes to break them down. I do not know if this is true or not.
Join date : 2013-12-20
|Subject: Re: What to feed new puppy Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:28 pm|| |
I feed Victor Hi Pro plus - not a grain free food but the grain is sorghum, not corn. My guys have no problem with this AND the poops are fine. I started off with Iams because that's what he had been eating before I got him. The poops were pudding. Then I noticed that his poop looked like a moist version of his food - cracked corn in = cracked corn out. Clearly he was not digesting the cracked corn. Switched to Tractor Supply brand 4Health and that cleared up pronto. Then switched to Taste of the Wild, poops continued nicely. Briefly switched to Ameriocan Journey from Chewy.com for price savings. Poop consistency was still great BUT frequency doubled - which was an issue at the time as I had a dog mostly crated and only out on structured walks. So back to TOTW until my guys no longer would eat it (I think I got a bag that probably sat out on a loading dock over an extremely hot weekend and maybe it became rancid.) Then I switched to the Victor when I found it was my best value at my local garden supply place.
Check out chewy.com. With auto-ship you get a 5% discount on most foods. And, with your first auto-ship they knock off an additional percent (I just got 30% my Dasuguin order!) And a larger bag is cheaper in the long run - if you can't an open bag in a month, you can freeze the rest in it's bag.
I would feed puppy food for the first year (not large breed, large means like Great Dane, Saint Bernard, Irish Wolfhound kind of large.) Check out Tractor Supply, BJ's warehouse, Cosco
|Subject: Re: What to feed new puppy || |
|» Leo's Scrapbook|
by RedFlashFire05 Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:46 pm
» Hip dysplasia xrays
by TwisterII Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:42 pm
» In Memory of Raven
by TwisterII Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:59 pm
» The Desert Pack
by amymeme Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:57 pm
» Recall Information
by Lostmaniac Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:50 am
» Togo's Life Yason Spark
by bella99 Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:14 pm
» Please...we need advice when it’s time to euthanize our sweet guy
by mav1016 Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:50 pm
» My Walls Need Help!!
by Lostmaniac Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:02 am
» Storm scrap book.
by Liv_Skye Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:44 pm
» Apollo Scrap book
by Liv_Skye Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:43 pm
» Tell me about this breeder
by Lostmaniac Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:00 pm
by Lostmaniac Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:17 pm
» Oc raw freezedried
by TwisterII Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:18 am
» Spider being spider
by Lostmaniac Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:32 pm
» The adventures of squirt
by Liv_Skye Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:47 pm
» Puppy dog presents
by TwisterII Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:19 am
» Mishka's (Kohdi's lil "sister") scrapbook
by RedFlashFire05 Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:39 pm
» Kohdi's scrapbook
by Liv_Skye Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:36 am
» Masks, covid, and 2 random texans
by Lostmaniac Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:43 pm
» Happy Bday Tulok! Kavik and Tulok's Scrapbook (Tulok starts page 4) updated 12/10/20
by RedFlashFire05 Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:11 pm