It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Springer Kit

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
awag1607
Newborn
Newborn

Springer Kit Empty
PostSubject: Springer Kit   Springer Kit EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 12:34 pm

Dont know if this is the place to post this but here it goes Smile

Ive heard the springer kits for the bike are a good investement to get as they provide the dog with good exercise and safety whilst on the bike, anybody agree or disagree?

alos what harness sized should i get for puppy and when it reaches adulthood?
cheers afro
Back to top Go down
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

Springer Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springer Kit   Springer Kit EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 1:05 pm

We have an adjustable harness from PetSmart and a Walky-Dog for Nikolai. Hi harness is a medium, but Nikolai is just a smaller husky anyway (he's currently 47 pounds). He LOVES it.

Edited to add: Yes, the walky-dog has been a great investment as it allows us to take him with us for bike rides without worrying about him trying to cross in front of our tires, or pull us over, etc. It's really a fantastic product.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Springer Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springer Kit   Springer Kit EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 1:35 pm

We also have a Walky Dog, and both of mine loves it. What I do like about it is that you can detach it from under the bike seat and walk your dog with it (in case you go somewhere and park your bike).

Springer Kit Walky_10

There are several harnesses you can buy that will allow your puppy to grow into. I really like the EZYDog harnesses as one size tend to adjustable enough to fit 2 sizes.

Check out their harnesses at:
www.EZYDog.com

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Springer Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springer Kit   Springer Kit EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 2:34 pm

Since you are planning to get a puppy, be sure you don't go biking with your pup too early. I would wait until your pup is at least 7 months old, preferably closer to a year old, before doing any serious biking. Even at 7 months your pup will still be growing and developing and too much strain can do more harm than good. I know that a crazy 8 month old sibe pup will probably be driving you crazy but unless it's a quick run around the block I would refrain from serious running alongside a bike.

Definitely get a harness for running alongside a bike. There are a lot of different options for that. Since you're wanting to use this on a puppy I would recommend finding an adjustable harness as it will get expensive to have to keep replacing it as the dog grows. Once your pup is an adult then you can opt for a custom fit harness if you so choose.

There are two popular dog running bike attachments, the Springer and the Walky Dog. The Walky dog is a lot cheaper but doesn't seem to have the great spring action that the Springer has. I've been researching both lately as I was thinking of getting a bike attachment for my sibe. I've been talking to owners with the Walky dog and owners with the Springer, and even owners with both. Overall, it sounds to me like the Springer is the better option although I would modify the Springer so that it does not have the safety release. I really think that if you have a heavy puller that the Springer will be the better option. For a casual runner who doesn't really pull and go crazy on runs alongside a bike then the Walky dog would be just fine. The price difference is pretty significant, I think it's a $40-$50 price difference at most places I've priced both of them out. Another issue is that less places sell the Springer while you will find more places carry the Walky Dog. I know my dog and he is a major puller and he is a big risk when it comes to prey animals so I do NOT think the Walky Dog would cut it for me, hence I am personally only interested in the Springer. And just like the Walky dog, the Springer also keeps your dog running to the side and not in front of you.

Ultimately which bike attachment you chose is up to you. I would definitely recommend doing your research and finding out more about both. In my personal opinion, I think the Springer is much better than the Walky Dog. Knowing my sibe, I would not feel comfortable taking him out on a Walky dog. Just my two cents.

Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2012-06-15

Springer Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springer Kit   Springer Kit EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 9:20 pm

I have a Springer for my Tundra and love it. With the amount of exercise he needs, it allows me to go the distance and speed he wants. Its easy to attach, easy to use and I have zero issues with it. Highly recommend it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Springer Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springer Kit   Springer Kit Empty

Back to top Go down

Springer Kit

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1