It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Incontinence or behavioral

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

Incontinence or behavioral  Empty
PostSubject: Incontinence or behavioral    Incontinence or behavioral  EmptyThu May 21, 2020 1:16 pm

How would one figure out if peeing on the floor is incontinence or a behavioral issue? From there what do i do about it? Its squirt and she is spayed and will be 8 on 9/11
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Incontinence or behavioral    Incontinence or behavioral  EmptyFri May 22, 2020 5:24 am

My 2 cents worth here. I see that you've answered your own question. Incontinence is the uncontrolled / unwitting release of urine.
If she squats and peas then I'd bet it's a behavioral issue. If a puddle just seems to appear where she is, without the squat, then I'd say it's incontinence. In my mind, one is uncontrolled "leakage" and the other is controlled urination. 'Course if you don't see her that's another story .....

Sky, for no known reason after I first got her would leave a wet spot where she lay down - I'm guessing it was just a long term case of nerves since it has pretty much disappeared over the years. She still doesn't know how to tell me she wants out but I've come to see that a pattern of running back and forth between "here and there" probably means she needs out.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Incontinence or behavioral    Incontinence or behavioral  EmptyFri May 22, 2020 6:22 pm

Its the not seeing it that has me perplexed. My ridgeback had incontinence issues and they started at about 7 we just had to train her to lay on her dogbed only and it got washed regularly. Normally squirt will scratch at the doorwhen she needs out. ....AND THEN... yesterday the girls had a very silent confrontation. Squirt was standing in the window seat staring at spider outside and spider was sitting there glaring right back. My guess is this is just the first time i have caught it not the first time it has happned and now i wonder on the behavior side is it a territory thing or her being insecure or over confident.?

If it is behavior based then back to crate training if its a medical issue then its a call the vet thing. Im kinda at the point with her, if i could afford the fencing, she would be an outside dog most of the year.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Incontinence or behavioral    Incontinence or behavioral  EmptySat May 23, 2020 3:37 pm

From your description of the two glaring at each other, I'd suggest that it's the beginning of a possible medical issue. If she 'released' any urine without realizing it then that's where my thoughts would go.
If it were a case of "she's out and I'm not" so I'm gonna piss on the box, I'd think you'd see the more common "squat and piss" routine.

In this type of situation, I'm much more apt to suggest that you look at it as a possible medical issue *first* - there's no sense "punishing" (or retraining) for an issue over which she has little or no control.

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Incontinence or behavioral    Incontinence or behavioral  EmptySat May 23, 2020 4:54 pm

Shes the last dog i want to take to the vet right now. Even on a good day she acts possessed at the vet. Biting and screaming and spraying piss and shit everywhere. And that was jist to get her sedated
Back to top Go down
Kdavlin15
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2020-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Incontinence or behavioral    Incontinence or behavioral  EmptySun May 24, 2020 6:25 pm

oh no! Leela has had a similar issue and with a trip to the vet we learned it was incontinence. Quite the messy dilemma, but manageable. I hope you can figure it out soon!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Incontinence or behavioral    Incontinence or behavioral  EmptyTue May 26, 2020 1:04 pm

Smell it. To go with what Al said, incontinence that can't be helped usually doesn't come with a squat. It often isn't large quantities at first also. So you might see little puddles here and there, but not huge full release. At least not early on in an issue. If it's a UTI you may see squatting but there's usually an odor that comes with that. You'll need to smell the puddle to know. If there's a fairly strong smell then you could be dealing with a UTI. UTIs can be brought on by stress so a combination of behavior and medical can be happening if that is the case. It sounds like she already kinda goes to a bladder issue area when stressed at the vet so it's not out of the realm of possibility that behavioral/territorial issues have stressed her into a UTI. That requires antibiotics. usually Clavomox. You might be able to take in a urine sample to your vet without the dog and have them test it. Just ask them and make sure they will and how fresh does the sample need to be.

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Incontinence or behavioral    Incontinence or behavioral  EmptyTue May 26, 2020 2:27 pm

There is a smell i think but also squirt has a weird smell lately. Not sure about dogs but its similar to the smell of horses with Cushing's.

I have not seen it happen because squirt spends the majority of the day in her bedroom. We have a schedule that has been the same for over 2 years now. I need to pay attention to the backseat of the truck next time i take her somewhere to see if it happens there.

And when squirt stress pees at the vet it smells like coyote urine
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Incontinence or behavioral    Incontinence or behavioral  EmptyWed May 27, 2020 10:51 am

A change in smell is likely a medical issue. There are a number of things that can cause a change in smell so it might be hard to track down, though I would start with a deep mouth check and testing for a UTI, and maybe do a blood panel from there.

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Incontinence or behavioral    Incontinence or behavioral  EmptyFri Jun 26, 2020 5:55 pm

Well officially this question has been answered and now i have dog pee on my brand new sofa.

Anyway squirt was half on me and half on the couch and when she got off therr was a small wet spot.. so atleast i know what it is... now to figure out what to do about it
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Incontinence or behavioral    Incontinence or behavioral  EmptyFri Jun 26, 2020 9:23 pm

After I brought Sky home, every time she got up fro somewhere there was a wet spot, ranged in size from a quarter up to silver dollar or so.
I took her up to see my vet who prescribed Proin I kept her on it for about 6 months and it seems to have helped immensely - at least the spots are occasional now rather than consistent.

An add from 1-800-Pet-Meds Knowing your dog and your vet (as you describe them) I'd bet that he'd gladly "write a telephone prescription" for her. The major effect, as I understand it from my vet, is that it helps with a weakness of the muscles in the urinary tract.

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Incontinence or behavioral    Incontinence or behavioral  EmptySat Jun 27, 2020 1:22 pm

3 go in on the 7th so i can ask about it then. It seems like every spayed dog ive had eventually had this issue, just not until they were a bit older then squirt.

I did txt my uncle about it and he thinks they need to check her to make sure there is no uti or bladderstones or kidney issues before putting her on something. So the plan is right now to talk to my local vet when i bring the other 3 in to see if they want to do testing or just put her on something.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Incontinence or behavioral    Incontinence or behavioral  EmptySat Jun 27, 2020 1:59 pm

I would never advise that those tests not be done. I almost suggested a check for a UTI (I had a lab who was forever getting UTI's, but that was when I was driving garbage truck and played hell keeping her away from the "good smelling" stuff!) but you've mentioned how cantankerous she could be with the vet ...
Have fun and good luck ...

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Incontinence or behavioral    Incontinence or behavioral  EmptySat Jun 27, 2020 10:44 pm

Actually shes really easy at the vet now, we just make a chute where she cant go anywhere and knock her out. Just adds almost $200to the vet bill. Its well worth it. The plan was take the 3 in and schedule her appointment while im there.

I do worry about the smell. I know its weird to say but some infections and other issues can be identified that way. Like with horses you can smell staph and Cushing's and white line disease and thyroid issues. its not a normal dog smell its a sick smell but what kinda sick stumps me. I do know she needs her teeth done and that could be it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Incontinence or behavioral    Incontinence or behavioral  Empty

Back to top Go down

Incontinence or behavioral

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1