It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What is this breed REALLY all about?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sclevenger08
Newborn
Newborn

What is this breed REALLY all about? Empty
PostSubject: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyThu May 05, 2011 3:24 pm

Hello, So my hunny has decided that he wants a new puppy. Now, this won't be for at least a year, as our baby is due next month and we are moving back to WV. So, after all that is settled we/he would like to bring a new puppy into our lives. A husky is the breed he wants, however he is a I see it and I want it type, I know a guy who has them, I want one... So the reserach is left to me, lol.

Okay, I have a cattle dog/aussie, so I know all about abundunt shedding, about needing lots of exericse, fenced in yard that is escape proof. What I really want to know, is Who is this breed? I guess what I mean by that is, I've read a thousand breeder websites, and other just information sites, watched videos, read books and they all say same thing. What AKC has to say about huskys and honestly I don't care about that. Reason being....

When I was wanting to bring a dog into my life, I searched hundreds of breeds and I settled on the cattle dog. No everywhere I looked and read made these dogs out to be the most difficult to hand, hard headed, aggressive, even breeders said the same thing, that it was a hard dog to handle. I went to forums where there were a lot of breeders, showers, that sort of thing and it was the same thing. That these dogs can't really be family pets, they have to have something, extreme training, etc. If I would of listened to all these people I NEVER would of owned one of these breeds Then I talked to my aunt who has owned them for years even breed some. And she had a completely different story to tell me. She didn't deny they could be hard headed, could become aggressive and be hard to train. But she told me what the everyday life with a cattle, in an everyday/average home, with non professional training was like. And you know they weren't horrible. Pirate(my cattle) is an everyday dog, ...Yes, he analyzes EVERYTHING you tell him, when I say sit he wants to know why he should, he is so smart that if I hold up two fingers instead of one he notics and it will throw him off. He has the the most incredible love for people I've ever seen and he tests my patience everyday. Another example I guess was I was told by breeders and owners was that if you don't at least run them hard for 2 hours a day you will have a destructive terror on your hands....and my aunt and myself and others Ive finally got to talk toon forums like this have told me otherwise. Yes, they do need LOTS of exercise, but...there are days, Pirate is a couch potato and I couldn't get him to move if I tried, lol. There are days, when its extremely cold, or stormy, or some days Im just plain too busy to walk him,...and he is completely fine, Im sure he misses his walk, but he doesn't destroy my house. lol. ...

So, I was hoping that someone here could tell me what this breed is really all about the way I was told what a cattle dog is really all about. I want the right choice of dog to bring into our home and family. Sorry for taking up so much space, just really want to get the best advice of what kinda breed this is. I have no experience with them. The few I've met, have been very friendly, but aloof all in one, they didn't have an abundunt love for strangers, however in all the sites they say they do, so again one of those things,....Tell me what your huskys are like. Thanks again.

:-)
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyThu May 05, 2011 3:42 pm

Welcome! and good for you to "study up" all though your honey should be doing this as well. from the sound of it your gonna be the main care taker. I think your mind might change after having the baby and you might realize that having any new animal in the home might not be a good idea for a few years. sorry to be a downer but that is just one of the top reasons dogs end up in shelters, new baby and no time for the dog.... your Pirate sounds like a great dog and my guess past the puppy stage of life. you can spend hours surfing our great forum and find all the reasons we LOVE our huskies and you will also find reasons they drive us MAD some days but no matter what they are the breed for us here. maybe you might want to consider adopting an older husky closer to your current dogs age? i just have this picture in my mind of a baby trying to learn to walk and a crazy husky puppy running past and knocking it down or thinking its a chew toy. i have heard that husky's are really good with baby's but im not sure if that goes for husky puppies. we adopted our two because there are to many dogs out there needing homes, it was also a better fit for our life. good luck with what ever decision you make!

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyThu May 05, 2011 4:01 pm

Yes, I will be the main caretaker, he works in oil and what not and isn't home a whole lot. And actually Pirate will be turning a year old this month and he himself makes me nervous having in the house with a new baby. He is so active at times and sometimes I don't think he understands what it means to walk anywhere, like a child almost, have to make him go back and walk, lol. I do understand what your saying about puppies and babies though. We wouldn't be bringing a new puppy into our home until at the very least a year but I would like to wait two. I just want plently of time to reserach and then once a decision is made on the breed, you have to find the right breeder and waiting lists...So, this won't be happening anytime soon. Pirate is still so young and learning, I would like him to have a few more years on him as well before bringing in a puppy. And I do find it so sad with all the dogs ending up in shelters because of new babies. I was actually asked serval times what I planned on doing with Pirate when I first found out I was expecting. It blew my mind, that people just assumed I would be doing something with him. I would have no problem adopting a husky if we could find one that was a good fit for us. Thank You very much.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyThu May 05, 2011 4:12 pm

Welcome to the forum!
I'm glad that one of you decided to research and read up on the breed, but I think he should also be reading up on the breed as well.

As Jenn said, we find huskies ending up in shelters because a new baby has been brought into their family and there is no time for the husky after the baby is born. On the flip side, other couples still manage to make it work even after the baby is born.

Since you want to hear about what our huskies are like, I'll give you a week in my home with my 2...

It's just me and my husband, and I work from home. Hubby works from home once a week, but usually is still pretty busy. However for me, my work is pretty flexible, so I'm the main caretaker. I get up at 6am and let the dogs out in the backyard to potty. By 7am, I take them for a 1/2 mile walk and then they get fed. Around 11am and 2pm they get walked again, usually at least a mile. They get fed around noon, and then again around 5:30pm for dinner. Hubby is also a councelor at a non-profit center so he sometimes works until 7/7:30pm On the evenings he doesn't have to work late, he'll take them for a run or he'll ride his bike to run them. During the course of the day, my 2 are perfectly content to lay around and take naps in the cool house, on the cool hardwood floor, or wherever. They usually will play with each other morning, 2x during the day, and after dinner at some point anywhere between 5-15 minutes long. On the weekends, we try to get out for a hike - we're lucky if we get in at least 2 hikes (or snowshoe) a month.

With that said, my 2 are certainly not the norm for huskies. In fact, I'd say, they are extremely mellow for being huskies.

Ginger and Storm loves to meet people, and loves to steal affection from us and anyone else who will give it to them.

We adopted Ginger in August of 2010 and she was around the age of 3.5 years old (she's not about 4 years old). She is very good around infants, new born, and small children, but will shy away if a small child if that child is hyper and act hyper toward her. It took about 4-6 weeks before her recall was decent. She's very affectionate toward us, but also very independent.

We adopted Storm on April 17 - just last month! He will be 6 years old on the 15th of May. He comes to us as very obedient, and listens well. We haven't had the opportunity to test him around infants and babies, but does will with small children.

We adopted because there are so many huskies that end up in shelters because owners get puppies on looks. As the puppy grows, they realize it's not the breed for them and end up surrendering them. For me, I'm glad they are past the puppy stage - no potty training, no crate training, no leash training, no mouthing/biting, no destruction to the house, etc. - or at least very little training needed....

Both do well with all kinds of dogs. Storm has a high prey drive when it comes to cats and Ginger toward squirrels, however, since they've been together, they both now have high prey drives for both cats and squirrels.

I hope others will chime in and give their 'story' - and you will find each are very different.

Again, Welcome!...and Good luck with your research!

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyThu May 05, 2011 6:26 pm

Since i've brought my dogs home (who all vary in ages from 2-6) i've always taken them to the dog park once a day for at least an hour and sometimes up to 2 if its nice out and they're enjoying themselves. In the beginning (especially if they're pups) there will be destruction. It's unavoidable. Just something you have to deal with but mine are very good and only once and a while will they do something even remotely naughty.

These are great dogs and my dogs are just like yours, Claudia. They love to relax, stretch out, and sleep. But they need their humans around for the most park and they like to be included. This is not a dog you get because you want something to feed, walk, and pet every now and then. You need to want a friend. You need to want to love and be with your Husky as well as include them in anything you can. I love my dogs and to me, they aren't "just dogs" they have their own very distinct personalities and have off days and attitudes just like humans have. IMO, they are a very "human-like" breed.

But, unlike herding breeds... they don't stick to you like glue or hang on your every word. It's like living with a bunch of teenagers who like to eat each others faces and shed a lot.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyThu May 05, 2011 8:20 pm

I agree with both Claudia and Krsitina. I got my female (now 5yrs old) at 8weeks old and honestly I went in blind because I had no idea what I was getting into. She was definitely a destructive puppy/teenager...WOW! She did some crazy things to us, BUT it wasn't something that I wasn't willing to deal with. She's been our princess from the beginning. She calmed down a lot when she turned 3yrs old. We got our 2nd at 3months old and he's know 8months. He's hyper, but not even close to how Mya was. I guess it's because he has her to play with and they entertain each other. He is crazy with visitors though and wakes me up at 630am EVERYDAY!

Mya LOVES KIDS! She'll even protect my friends small kids from us...it's funny. But I wouldn't get a puppy if you have a baby. Kody (my 8 month old) CAN NOT be around any small kids...not because he'll hurt them intentionally at all, but he just wants to play and doesn't know how to be gentle with them.

Huskies do need A LOT of attention and love. They're DEFINITELY not just dogs like Kristina said. They're so smart, have mood swings, and understand A LOT! They're like mini people. I swear they think they're human. Ok, I'm rambling..LOL.

My advice to you is...if you decide on a husky be aware that they are like a kid (literally). They need a lot of attention and even though they'll hang out at times and just sleep they'll have days that all they want is attention =)
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyThu May 05, 2011 8:23 pm

First off welcome! wave Glad to have you here and kudos to you for being so diligent and making sure the breed you are considering is right for you and your family. I also applaud you for being so patient and knowing when and how to bring a new pet into the family. In this day and age of instant gratification it is refreshing.

You've received a lot of great advice and viewpoints already so I won't repeat. Most breeders and breeder sites will expound the negatives of a breed to weed out the people who are not a good fit for the breed. That is no different with huskies, you will hear tons about huskies being escape artists, not being good off lead, needing massive amounts of exercise, destruction, and shedding. And you will hear all this for good reason...it's ALL true! Husky ownership is not all negative but you need to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. No two dogs are going to be exactly the same and ultimately you don't know exactly what you'll end up with so expect the worst, arm yourself with information, prepare yourself, and hope for the best. Just browse around this forum and you'll find many different scenarios that most of us have gone through and overcome from biting and aggression to separation anxiety and insecurity. One thing I will say, if I had a nickel for every time I heard the comment "I read/heard that they shed a lot, but I didn't know/think it was THAT much" I would be rich. Heed the comments about their massive shedding amounts.

These dogs make wonderful family pets, most are excellent with children. We adopted our sibe who was picked up as a stray. We had no history on him and he is amazingly gentle with babies (yes, babies!) and small children...he just seems to know that he needs to be gentle with them somehow.

As for the exercise requirements, that too is where individual sibes will vary. I will say though that typically show line sibes are more sedentary and do not require anywhere near the amount of exercise that working line sibes do. I researched sibes for YEARS and never knew before getting my sibe that there was this difference. I really really wish someone had pointed this out to me before I got my sibe. I ended up adopted a working line sibe and let me tell you, he requires MASSIVE amounts of exercise just to keep him (and us) sane. Our working line sibe is on the end of the spectrum that requires tons of exercise yet you will find plenty of show line sibes that are complete couch potatoes and don't require hardly any exercise. I know one girl whose show line sibe is content to have a short 15 minute walk and a 15-20 minute romp in the yard and her sibe is set for a good 2 days at least! And of course there are varying degrees all throughout the spectrum where most sibes fall. A breeder or rescue group should be able to give you some idea of what the husky you are considering will be like in terms of temperament and activity level.

Last edited by Huskyluv on Fri May 06, 2011 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyThu May 05, 2011 8:35 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
.... typically show line sibes are more sedentary and do not require anywhere near the amount of exercise that working line sibes do....

I did NOT know there is such a distinction!
How do you tell if your sibe is 'show line' or 'working line'?

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyThu May 05, 2011 8:58 pm

Sierra- showline
Jack- workingline

Ginger... i want to say a little of both

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyThu May 05, 2011 9:37 pm

Storm = ?? Can't tell until he's closer to his 'normal' weight? Smile

Is it their build that determines if their working or show line?

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyThu May 05, 2011 9:50 pm

Claudia,
Val can answer better then me but thought that Papers would show if it is a show or working line, Sierras papers show she was from a show line, as well as her thicker coat and markings, Jack im going off of pure size and build, shorter hair, long and lean, pure ability to lead while walking/hiking, knowing commands things like that i have picked up on with him.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyThu May 05, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks so much for all the input guys. Its been really helpful. Thanks for the reminder about the working and show lines. I ran into that when I was looking at cattle dog breeders, I forgot all about that and I know that it can and will make a differece.

I know that every dog is difference, I guess thats what makes everything so difficult, I guess your right that we can only prepare for the worse and hope for the best.

Im glad to hear that though they do like to be around their families a lot they aren't like the herding breeds and hang on every word you say. Pirate drives me insance, I can't turn without tripping on him, he can't stand to be alone for even a minute.

So, is the shedding really that terrible? How much time a day do you spend brushing your dogs to cut down on hair floatin around in the house?

Also, I hear that these dogs are extremely friendly and opn and make horrible watchdogs because they are people lovers. However the few huskies I've met over the years have been very aloof and weary of strangers. They were by no means aggressive or backwards, but they weren't completely open to strangers either. They did warm up pretty quickly though. My question is, which on is true.Is the trait I observed in these dogs I met common or uncommon? I have met 4 huskies all of different owners and environment and they all had the same qualities I mentioned above. Was it just a fluke thing...alright you get the point, Im just repeating myself. lol
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyThu May 05, 2011 10:18 pm

Personally, my dogs LOVE PEOPLE! Anybody that comes to my house they are all over them (too much actually). They also take the time to say "hi" anybody that will let them at the park on their daily walks. Now, I've never had an "intruder" or anything like that so I wouldn't know they would actually step up and protect. Doubt it though..lol.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyThu May 05, 2011 10:26 pm

They have 2 shedding cycles. One is happening now for my girl. I brush her almost everyday for about 15 minutes, and I'll get about half a grocery bag full. I will still sometimes see little tufts of fur on the carpet still. I've taught my 2 to stay out of the kitchen because of the fur - don't want fur in my food - but sometimes it'll still happen. If I don't sweep the hardwood floors evey other day, I'll get a handful collected under the dining room table. She she shakes, and the sunlight is hitting her just right, she looks like Pigpen from Snoopy with the dust cloud.

My boy isn't shedding like my girl. But, when I take the Furminator to brush him, I can get about 1/4 full of a grocery bag if I spend 15 minutes brushing him. He just doesn't 'shed' unless I brush him. If I have a long sleeve shirt on, and I go to pet her, I'll have fur almost covering the cuff of my sleeve after one or 2 strokes.

Another shedding cycle comes around the end of Summer beginning of Fall. My girl was at the end of her second shedding cycle when we adopted her in August.

Keep in mind, some Sibes may start their first shedding cycle earlier, around January or February. My girl started around March.

I know there's a topic here on the forum with pictures of how much fur they get off their Husky - the title is something like, 'I've become a true husky owner'....something like that. I'll see if I can find it.

My girl loves people! I went to a friend's house once, and she sniffed around and at everyone, and then parked herself between my friend's aunt and uncle and sat between them because they pet her. She stayed there until they stopped, and then found someone else that would pet her.

My boy likes to see who's at the door, but when the person walks in, he can care less. He tends to migrate more toward the men if they're around, but get along with everyone.

My girl will go to whoever will pay attention to her and pet her.

Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyThu May 05, 2011 11:30 pm

I've been a husky owner for 17 of the last 20 years. We had a female husky for all 17 years of her life, then a 3 year "dog break" and this January we just got a new husky pup. I really think everything the breeders and the other owners warn you about is true. I think I should speak mostly from experience with my first husky because I don't know what Sabaka will be like (he's still all crazy puppy!). She was very friendly with all strangers. She would "woof" if someone rang the door bell but then ran to greet the visitor and lick him to death. She was a tiny little 35-lb girl but could jump like crazy. Even at a young age she would jump from sidewalks onto retaining walls that were 3 or 4 feet high. She has caught birds out of the air when they flew by. She hated to play fetch (even though Sabaka, our new pup, seems to LOVE it) just like I've heard about most sibes.

And, oh my word, the hair... last Thursday I swept the hardwood floors in the foyer at 7:30am then again at 4:00. At 6:00 a friend stopped by, looked at the floor and said, "Your new dog sheds alot, huh??" Grrrr....

It has already been said that this breed loves to be with their people. We take our dog to the kids soccer and lacrosse games just so he can be with us. And speaking of kids, we brought our first baby home to a 5-year old husky. She tolerated the baby and every now and then would sleep under the baby's crib, but you could tell she was not thrilled to have to share our attention with a pink, squalling thing! The second baby came when the dog was 10-years old. In general, she was very good with kids. As she got older we would shut her in a bedroom when the kids would have friends over because she would get nervous (just like an eldery human). The new pup LOVES a kid party. We've had 3 since he's been with us and he loved every minute of it!

Our 17-year old husky never could be trusted outside alone. In her later years we lived on 5.5 acres in the country and would occasionally let her out to pee in the morning in our unfenced yard. Occasionally we would accidentally take our eyes off of her just long enough for her to bolt. And unlike other breeds these dogs NEVER come home on their own. We would get a call from a neighbor, "I'm having coffee on my deck with Sandy this morning." She would go for miles...

They are quiet dogs and rarely bark. This second dog seems to be more vocal than the first. He still barks beligerantly to get our attention or to tell us he is not going to do something we are asking of him (he needs some SERIOUS training)! They are very smart dogs and can learn a command in just a few minutes; however, after the novelty wears off they may or may not choose to listen to you anymore. I find that you can easily tell a sibes mood by his facial expressions.

This breed often has food allergies. We went through all of the ups and downs of vomiting and diarrhea with our first husky before we found what she was allergic to. But that was 20 years ago and even the "premium" foods had more questionable ingredients than most do today. However, there are still many "poop inspectors" here on the forum going through the trial and error to find the allergen.

We got both of our huskies as pups. I would love to rescue one but their are so many restrictions for adopting (distance from rescue and fenced yard and cats and kids...) and my youngest child was very afraid of dogs when we got Sabaka. I thought it would be best for my son to have a small dog grow big gradually and I was also just a little afraid of any aggression that a rescue dog may have.

And, yes, they destroy things: a sofa cushion, an ink pen all over a carpet, a berber carpet, a doorframe, a blanket or two, various books and toys, a water line to the toilet... But many people would think that's good if that's all that I can remember over a 20 year period!

I have really gone on and on and on.... Good luck with your move, your new baby and your doggie decision!

Lisa
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 12:06 am

do huskies shed?....only a little Smile

What is this breed REALLY all about? Img00021
Back to top Go down
sclevenger08
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 12:16 am

Wow, the shedding sounds about as bad as Pirates is. There is always tons of it under the table and in the corners. His hair seems to always be everywhere, even If I haven't touched him. I once got dressed, went straight to the car, went to Pizza Hut and while I was sitting there eating a Pirate hair fell in my plate. I was thinking "you have got to be kidding me" and it happens all the time. I just can't escape his hair. haha.

I like a friendly dog, its just the obsessive type that bother me. Pirate thinks that every single person that comes in our home or even walks past him on the street should be his friend and love him as much as he does them. He drives me insane with it because he gets extremely hyper about the whole thing and just goes nuts. Of course, he is still young and Im very much hoping that he will calm down some as he matures.

Destroying things Im used to. Pirate actually has gotten into the habit here recently of crawling into the bathtub and removing the drain and carrying it off and chewing it up. If you leave a plastic bottle on the floor...or anywhere he can reach really, the bottle is done for. Looking back though, all the things he's chewed up, kinda just makes me laugh, lol.

I have ran into the same problem with adoption places. I really wanted to adopt a cattle and the application was I swear 14 pages long, they required pictures inside and out of your home, if you had any other dogs they wanted to know everything about them, last vet check, are they altered, if not why not, where did you get them, why did you get them there, a fenced yard of a certain type and height was required and the list went on and on and finally ended with, they wouldn't adopt to anyone who hadn't owned a cattle before. And not to mention the "adoption fee" for some of their dogs and puppies were as high as actual breeders. I understand that running a rescue takes money, but the price and all the restrictions and questions just really push people away from rescue. I would like to rescue but don't want to run into the same hassle and I also, am nervos about possible aggression and other problems coming with a rescue dog.

Oh my gosh, that picture is unreal. That is a lot of hair.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 7:22 am

cmanding wrote:
I did NOT know there is such a distinction!
How do you tell if your sibe is 'show line' or 'working line'?

If you want to get technical, there isn't a distinction "formally". But yes, there are different lines that have gone totally different directions just like so many other breeds. And of course there are those that excel in both work and show which is what I consider the ultimate goal for the breed. However you will find kennels that breed for both work and show ability, some breed with mainly a show dog focus, and others breed with more of a focus on working ability.

Differences? The working sibe tends to have a lighter bone structure, a lighter coat (less thick), a leaner body, and longer legs. The show sibe tends to have a heavier bone structure, shorter legs, a heavier coat, a stockier body, and a broader chest and shoulders

Jack and Sierra are good examples, Jack being working and Sierra being show. Look also at Sara's two, Siku and Elara. Siku being working and Elara being show.

Hopefully Sara doesn't mind my reposting example pics of her dogs.
Elara is a perfect example of a show sibe body style:
What is this breed REALLY all about? IMG_2724

Siku is a good example of a working sibe body style:
What is this breed REALLY all about? Funday40

None of this is to say that either will not excel in both work and show, both can, but it gives you an idea of physical characteristic differences. They different body styles do make a difference when it comes to working ability. While a show line sibe can work and work well, it's body structure may not be as well suited to the job as a working line sibe. Wink

Karen Ramstead's site (North Wapiti Kennel) has a lot of good examples of working line sibes that are also shown. In my personal opinion that is what sibes should look like ideally. Not the stocky show sibes that I see more and more of. While I do love Sierra and Elara and they are gorgeous, I prefer the working line look of sibes like Siku and Jack more as it is more in line with what this breed was meant for. These dogs are meant to work and have lots of drive. When you look at show dogs who are short, stocky, have huge coats and are not driven to work and run for hours and hours it makes you wonder why they were bred in the first place as it does not serve the purpose of the breed. That's just my two cents anyway. Please no one take that the wrong way either, I have NOTHING against show line dogs at all. I love them just the same, I just have a personal preference for working line. Wink

sclevenger08 wrote:
So, is the shedding really that terrible? How much time a day do you spend brushing your dogs to cut down on hair floatin around in the house?

I don't think it's all that terrible once you get used to it and know what to expect. Then again my boy is finally done blowing coat, had you asked me that two weeks ago you can bet I'd be singing a different tune. Plus, how much, how long and how frequently they blow coat will vary from dog to dog as well and also depends somewhat on climate too. In warmer climates a sibe might blow coat 4 times a year versus a sibe in a colder climate that might blow only twice a year. When I lived in WA state our sibe blew twice a year. When I lived in FL he blew 4 times a year. And some blow coat for 2 weeks while others blow coat for 2 months at a time. I am sooo incredibly LUCKY that I got a sibe who blows coat for a full TWO MONTHS! (yes, that was some heavy sarcasm!) Now just imagine how much fun that was living in FL where he blew coat 4 times a year for 2 full months each coat blow...yep, that meant 8 months out of the year he was blowing coat. Ughh, warm weather and huskies just don't mix all that well for multiple reasons! I am in SC currently and while that's still warm and southern, it is a million times better than FL and I haven't experienced as much shedding here as I did in FL.

This is just some of the fur that was collected after 15 minutes of brushing, a lot of fur actually blew away in the wind before I took this picture!
What is this breed REALLY all about? Photo0361

sclevenger08 wrote:
Also, I hear that these dogs are extremely friendly and opn and make horrible watchdogs because they are people lovers. However the few huskies I've met over the years have been very aloof and weary of strangers. They were by no means aggressive or backwards, but they weren't completely open to strangers either. They did warm up pretty quickly though. My question is, which on is true.Is the trait I observed in these dogs I met common or uncommon? I have met 4 huskies all of different owners and environment and they all had the same qualities I mentioned above. Was it just a fluke thing...

I really do think the 4 you met were flukes. But then again traits like that can come from breeding and owner handling. Bad breeding and land you with a dog regardless of temperament who is wary of people, skittish, and bad temperaments. And there are so many dogs out there from less than reputable breeders. And then there are dogs who may have had good temperaments to start but were not socialized or treated properly and therefore learned bad habits along the way somehow or another unfortunately. I have met more sibes than I can count and only maybe 3 of them were antisocial, wary of strangers, skittish or aggressive. I promise you, the majority are NOT like that, huskies normally are very friendly and outgoing.

As for the bad watchdog thing, I read that everywhere too but I would have to say that you might have some exceptions to the rule. My sibe is a perfect example. He loves everyone and is constantly vying for attention. He's like Ginger a lot, he goes to people who will give him attention and as soon as they stop he looks for attention from someone else. He really does love everyone and anyone that comes in the door is liable to get jumped on and then smothered in husky lovin's! You would think he'd make a horrible guard dog but he's actually proven to be quite the opposite. We all know that dogs can sense when something is not right and when a person is bad or has bad intentions. Well my Dakota is no exception. There have been several instances where Dakota senses that a person is not "right" and he will go off in a nasty bark and lunging and growling. This has happened 4 times in the 4 yrs we've had him and he meets lots of people every day and loves everybody so when he goes ballistic over a stranger like that I know there is something wrong. One time I was walking him late at night and Dakota just started going crazy. Barking his deep, no nonsense bark, growling, hackles up, and refusing to turn his back to whatever he was barking at. I couldn't see a thing until a few minutes later when I saw a man get up out of a crouched position behind a car and run away. I was so proud of my boy. There was also another time that there was this shady looking character that started hanging around a bus stop that I walked by every day. The guy was always acting peculiar like he was trying to hide something, well sure enough when we got close to him while passing by on our walk Dakota's hackles would go up and he'd start growling and barking at the guy. After two instances of that the guy disappeared and we never saw him again. Razz There was definitely something odd about that guy and Dakota knew it. Just a couple examples for you of how they can be the friendlies ever but can be protective if the situation calls for it. Even on walks when a loose dog approaches or attacks, Dakota protects me and the chi girls by blocking any other dogs from getting close to us. He really is an amazing dog!

Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 9:46 am

I think, like with any breed, fears and aggression often go hand in hand and can be taught or learned. When my first husky was very young, my husband and I had her with us when visiting my Mom. We all went out for the evening leaving her home alone in my mother's house. My crazy teenage brother came home with a friend but had forgotten his keys, so he and his friend "broke into" the house. Both boys were wearing baseball caps. Sandy was so afraid that she went into the bathroom, hid there and peed in the corner! Poor baby!! She was never the same around guys with hats after that. Even though she got over her real, hackles up type fear, I could always see her looking twice at that hat whenever we saw guys with hats.

I wonder if the pattern for shedding has more to do with the dog's habits than with his breeding. Our first sibe LOVED to be hot...she was always curled up in a sunny spot somewhere...her favorite winter hangout was 3 feet in front of the fireplace with a roaring fire! She shed ALL the time! But, like Val said, once in the spring and once in the fall were the worst. The new pup HATES heat of any kind. My son keeps saying, "I know today is the hottest day of your short life, but you are not going to die of heat stroke." He's panting and whimpering and stretching out on the cool hardwood...and all that for a high of about 80 outside and 76 inside!! Wait 'til the REAL heat comes!

I was once told by a lady showing huskies at a dog show that the red huskies tend to have more of a temper and be a little more moody than the huskies in the black family. For those of you who have or have had both colors, do you think she's right??? I've only ever had the red ones...
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 10:48 am

SabakaMom wrote:
I was once told by a lady showing huskies at a dog show that the red huskies tend to have more of a temper and be a little more moody than the huskies in the black family. For those of you who have or have had both colors, do you think she's right??? I've only ever had the red ones...

I don't see a temper in Ginger, however, I do see moods. And her moods have only started and it's probably because of Storm. Ginger used to snuggle in bed with us before we fell asleep, now she doesn't come up in the bed sometimes. Maybe because Storm can't hop up on the bed with us. Also, she's been a little defiant with hubby. We're going through CGC training, and hubby is trying to practice some of the tests with her, and she flat out won't do it when we know she knows what's being asked of her. However, I'll step in, and she'll do whatever I ask, no problem.

Storm is grey and white, and we've only had him just shy of 3 weeks, so we're still getting to know him. But as far as we can see, he's pretty much happy-go-lucky.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 11:30 am

SabakaMom wrote:

That's a topic that has come up time and time again on various husky forums and everyone always comes to the consensus that it is an old myth. The popular myth is that reds are more stubborn than any other color, not just blacks. And it really is not true, color does does not determine that. Wink

Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 1:06 pm

Haha...just saw this topic and the pics of my girls! lol. I would recommend show lines to most people, because Elara does seem to be calmer and more obedient than Siku. But I do love them both. Maybe it's just cause I'm so amazed that I can get Elara to heel great, while Siku just can't seem to stop pulling on the leash no matter what (unless of course I have a treat right in front of her nose, and I mean right in front of it!).

And I would definitely look into getting an older dog. My two are 15 months and 6 months. They both would knock down a kid no problem. Siku jumps on any new person that comes over. It's a bit annoying. And I felt so bad when a family came over to check out one of my foster kittens. Siku said hi to everyone except for the son who was standing toward the back. She looking at him, woo woo/deep growled, and then ran over and jumped on him to say HI! I knew she was just being friendly, but you could tell from the look in his eyes that he thought she was going to eat him. I felt so bad!

A friend of mine has a black and white and a red and white. The black and white one is definitely more moody than the red and white. Each dog is different. I'd say it's a big myth that one color dog is going to be more moody just because it's that color.

What is this breed REALLY all about? Woowoosig

Last edited by SaraB on Fri May 06, 2011 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 1:37 pm

Don't they say that about Red-headed women? I don't think that's necessarily true there either...I have 2 red-head girlfriends and they are bubbly, friendly, sweet, even-tempered, laid-back and energetic as can be!! Far from being the 'hot-head' stereotype.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 2:31 pm

Oh and another common color myth is that reds don't work as hard as the other colors. Totally not true!

Thanks for letting me use your girls as examples, Sara! For those of you who know Becca from another forum, she has a pair that are also perfect examples of working versus show sibes. Her male sibe, Charger is definitely a working line sibe while her female sibe, Anna (Arianna), is a show line sibe. Elara reminds me so much of Becca's Anna. I love you

And yes, the show line sibes do make better pets for beginners and those who want a calmer and more laid back husky. Part of the reason for the big difference, I think, is partially because a working line sibe will be a lot harder to control and focus in conformation. They have more energy and stamina and don't have the patience for standing still and prancing around the ring. lol I think you've already found that out, Sara, judging by Elara's good heeling and Siku's desire to pull. Elara's good heeling is perfect for showing/conformation (after all she's a show line) and Siku's desire to pull goes hand in hand with a working sibe (and wonder of wonders she's a working line). Smile Sara, you have such perfect examples!

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 2:50 pm

I had never heard about the difference in color making a "possible" difference in their temperment. However, I was raised around horses and my mom always taught me that a sorrel(red) horse was a lot hotter then a darker colored horse. And for the most part I've always found that to be true. Not always I've seen wonderful sorrels and tempermental darks but not nearly as often. My mom had two walkers a black and sorrel, they were brothers. And her black horse King was the sweetest and most laid back horse she ever owned, where his brother Prince was quite the opposite, he was always a handful and sometimes down right nasty. So it does make you wonder if there isn't some truth in color making a difference in any kind of animals temperment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is this breed REALLY all about?   What is this breed REALLY all about? Empty

Back to top Go down

What is this breed REALLY all about?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next