It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New guy, with a rescued pup

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Withmyshield
Newborn
Newborn

New guy, with a rescued pup Empty
PostSubject: New guy, with a rescued pup   New guy, with a rescued pup EmptyThu Jul 29, 2021 3:23 pm

Howdy Folks,

Recently rescued a husky from a rescue organization. Figured I should join a forum and maybe get some advice now and again. I have owned working dogs, but never a husky. I am at a point in my career where I can care for one and give him the attention needed.

Luke is almost 3 years old. The rescue had him for about eight months. He is smart as a whip, and starting to settle in, but I know there are going to be some friction points along the way - like last night he didn't want to go to bed.

He still has a lot of puppy energy and I am working on teaching him house manners and space. He shadows me everywhere, and has a habit of demanding attention.

I know he starts the day with good exercise, and finishes it with good exercise, but that space in between is what I would like to work on. I would also like to teach him how to fetch.

I'll get a picture up here soon.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: New guy, with a rescued pup   New guy, with a rescued pup EmptyThu Jul 29, 2021 11:03 pm

Oh, you had me laughing at that penultimate sentence!

May I suggest first that you get the idea that you've rescued a dog out of your mind.  A husky is unlike any dog you've ever had!  Because of their breeding, they're much more intelligent, in many ways, than most other dogs.  See, they were always way in the lead - their owner was on the sled many yards behind.  They had to make the decision that this was a good road or one that would lead to death (picture falling through the ice or crossing an invisible crevasse) - they saw it and had to correct their path, even contrary to their owners demands.  There's a story by one of the original Husky breeders (Seppala?) about his team refusing to cross a lake ... but I can't find it at the moment.

Training a Husky is difficult.  Unlike other dogs where their desire is to please their owner (picture a Lab or GSD) a Huskies first thought is "What's in it for me?"  You'll find the best success at training one of them is to use that (against him).  Food motivated dog - use treats to teach him, but expect that that's only going to work for a while.  "What, I set I get a treat; I lay down I get a treat.  There's got to be something better in this for me!"

As far as the velcro dog, expect that to dissipate over time.  Husky's are independent animals, once he's comfortable with you, he'll back off and want more space / allow you more space.  Right now he's just learning that this is home and you're going to be there.

As you'll see from my Pita-Pata, I have three of them and while one or the other may sometimes ask for attention (especially if it's meal time or time for evening treats / meds) it's mostly as if I have three housemates who do their own thing (except opening doors when they want out).

One almost last comment - Husky's are NOT SAFE off lead.  They were bred to run and given the chance 90% of them WILL run.  An owner who thinks that my Husky won't is deluding themselves.  I had one who I let run free, she always came home when I called until one time she didn't.  A Husky is safest at the end of a lead - maybe 30 - 50 feet but still on lead.  The heartbreak isn't worth the enjoyment of watching them run.

Oh, why was I laughing?  At one time I had a lab and if I picked up a ball there was no end to her desire to fetch it.  You'll find, in short order, that the Huskies response is "You threw it, you want it back then you go get it!!"

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .

Last edited by aljones on Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: New guy, with a rescued pup   New guy, with a rescued pup EmptyFri Jul 30, 2021 1:44 am

I'm laughing. The ball thing? Nah. Neither of mine are even interested in any toy. But a woodchuck? A chicken? Squirrel? Now you're talking. Sigh. Just had another early rabbits booster on my big boy who caught, and ate, a woodchuck. At least, he ate the head before I hauled him in the house. So message? High prey drive.

Velcro dog? My big guy thinks being in the other room is close enough. The little one? Oy. The little one. Under feet all. The. Time. I go to the laundry room, he goes to the laundry room. I go to the kitchen, he goes to the kitchen? Fetch the mail? He's right behind me. Bathroom? Nope. No privacy. We've had him maybe 5 years now? Still my Velcro boy. So. Good luck on that.

The energy thing? Mine are starting to allow down but they are almost 9 and just past 12 at this point. I did see somewhat more settled after age 3 but still quite the handful.

Happy you're giving this guy a home. Enjoy.
Back to top Go down
hush
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New guy, with a rescued pup   New guy, with a rescued pup EmptyTue Aug 03, 2021 10:47 pm

good thing he's already comfortable in you. it looks like you're gonna be a good fur parent to him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New guy, with a rescued pup   New guy, with a rescued pup Empty

Back to top Go down

New guy, with a rescued pup

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1