It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Doggy DNA tests

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Doggy DNA tests Empty
PostSubject: Doggy DNA tests   Doggy DNA tests EmptyTue Nov 01, 2022 11:12 pm

I looked to see if this has been discussed before but the latest I turned up was back in 2013, so I'll toss it out for a refresher.

With Sky being a reasonable Sibe (no one has ever considered her mixed but who really knows ...) and Zeus being a GSD with pretty solid heritage, I've been wondering what Avalanche is --- Oh, I know he's an Alaskan Husky but everyone knows what that means, he could be a mix of just about anything.

Looking at the DNA tests, I can get a breed test fo about $99 and a breed and health test for about $140 ... so has anyone had their dogs DNA checked, who'd you use and how were the results to which type test?

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

Doggy DNA tests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doggy DNA tests   Doggy DNA tests EmptyThu Nov 03, 2022 12:46 am

Years ago the vet sent a hair, blood and saliva sample to csu to test spider's wolfyness. But that was very specific and had very unexpected results aka spider was misrepresented by the breeder. Its just with the questionable bloodlines was the misrepresentation intentional?

I want to do the health and breed one on splinter because he has so many health issues but im not sure if i want wisom or embark.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Doggy DNA tests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doggy DNA tests   Doggy DNA tests EmptyThu Nov 03, 2022 4:17 pm

I've been reading reviews of both and Wisdom seems to have more problems with. One person sent in DNA for a registered GSD and got results that didn't include GSD until way down in their list. Wisdom claimed that they'll stand by their results and there's not chance of a mixup. The same dog in Embark came back with some trace divergences but 95% GSD.

I found several reports whe Wisdom was essentially arguing with the customer - I was in retail long enough to know that's one thing you don't do! - and none similar in the Embark reviews.

So now to check my bank account for a spare $139.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Doggy DNA tests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doggy DNA tests   Doggy DNA tests EmptyFri Nov 04, 2022 6:36 pm

I have used both wisdom and embark. Embark does some health testing in their standard breed test and they will go out and see if any relatives of your dog had ever run through their database which is kinda interesting. I had kye done through embark since he was suspected wolf and they have the better wolf database. He had a sister in the database which has been interesting.

I did keno through wisdom. It was pretty cut and dry. I feel it was decently accurate on him but he wasn't a crazy mutt. No real health tests came with it. I personally prefer the embark. You get more for the money but if you are only interested in breeds and don't have a super mutt wisdom I feel can do the job.

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

Doggy DNA tests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doggy DNA tests   Doggy DNA tests EmptyTue Nov 08, 2022 1:18 am

Splinter probably does fall under super mutt. He has the crazy wire hair on his face like a schnauzer, he has long wire hair on his neck and top of his shoulders like a mane but the rest of his hair is short, his tail curls over his back and he is orange(red) merle and i swear he has a toy poodle snout. All in a 15 lb pkg.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Doggy DNA tests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doggy DNA tests   Doggy DNA tests Empty

Back to top Go down

Doggy DNA tests

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1