It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

52 weeks of Zeus the GSD

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2022 12:07 am

In response:  (I'm frustrated!)
Started the 'in house leash' this afternoon, we'll see how that works (I'm not setting on the leash but same difference)  I'm hoping that the dogs will come to him when they're ready rather than letting him haze them. He's in jail right now but has been sleeping quietly with me at night so I'll let him out as I'm getting ready to crash and see if he'll play the fool or if he'll go to bed.
Edit 11/19:  Went to bed nicely, then at 04:00 he's up terrorizing the other two.  Back to jail so I can get back to sleep.

I have a baby gate set up, I used it for the kittens - when they got comfortable with the dogs they could come out and if they felt threatened they could run back - kittens weren't a major problem but there's too much stuff back there that he could get into (he likes chewing cardboard and I have no problem with empty boxes), believe me I've thought about it!

Walks are always about the same, 100 yards to the back of the property and we'll do that at least twice - with him off lead so he's getting a lot more running in than I am walking - and then around the trailer (80x14) Once after each meal (breakfast / lunch / supper) and normally once in between meals.  
Edit 11/19:  Short walk this morning after breakfast, 35 (feels like 31) 15+ mph winds.  Even with a wool shirt and lined windbreaker it was still cold.  (( No, I really don't have anything that resembles cold weather gear anymore.  Generally Dec - Feb are "cold" and then my windbreaker is good enough ))

I'm apparently useless as a trainer, I can't train a dog to set when he naturally sets when I stop when we're out walking - not necessarily at a 'heal', we'll work on that.  But I've got to get over my frustration before I try any serious training!

I've got a couple of balls and a stuffed kitten ball he was playing with.  I've rolled them past him a few times and he just watched it go past - even if he was playing with it 5 minutes before I tossed it.

Edit 11/19:  Called Chuck to vent.  "Pup's not getting enough exercise."  See note above, maybe not 'enough'.  He'd get more if he'd play with the big dogs rather than getting in their faces and air snapping them.  "Let the dogs work it out." Well, that's one of my lines ... if I could see any sign of them working it out I'd be all for it but I don't.  "Do (I) want to rehome him, I think you'd regret it but ..."  Really, no I don't he's smart as a whip and by himself he'd be a lot of fun.  

Argh!!!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2022 7:22 pm

@amymeme I've been watching the weather up north and from what I'm seeing you should have gotten some decent snow but nowhere near what Rochester did. I was in Syracuse in '78 when we got 6' over a three day span ... that's when I left to come south.

I hope you all are doing well and keeping warm!!

Corey Ford
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2022 11:48 pm

Nah...a scant half inch at best. To far east of Buffalo and South of Syracuse. These lake effect snow bands are VERY local. Fortunately, we are also to far west and north to get snow from most Nor'easters as well. If we get a dump, it's usually from either an Alberta clipper or a rare storm coming up from the south/southwest inland. Unless it's a rare great, big wallop of a nor'easter that tracks inland or is just plain huge.

How goes things with the puppy?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2022 4:09 pm

With the pup pretty good.  If he were in a single (or more accepting) dog house he'd be great.  Essentially house trained, he goes to the door when he wants out ... I still seem to have more puddles than one dog should produce!  We go walking and he's getting better about being under foot - course he's gotten stepped on a few times.  He'll get about 8-12 feet away and then checks to see where dad is.

My pups are still living outside so they don't have to put up with him.  They come in at night, none too happy but then he's on a house leash tied to my chair or in his crate.  He'll gripe about the crate but really settles pretty quickly ( it took a few hours of "If you shut up I'll let you out, if you keep howling (and the boy can howl!) you're in jail for disturbing the peace!" )

I'm at a solid loss, he's doing all the puppy things he's supposed to:  Play bow, lick chops, lay down ... but Avalanche still barks anytime he comes close.  Sky ... she just avoids him (unless he sticks his head in her food bowl at which she'll let him know that's not right!)  (( I feed her and Avalanche on the porch so Zeus goes past their dishes going in or out.  Avalanche had Zeus' whole head in his mouth, no harm done except to Zeus' ego ))

Corey Ford
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2022 4:22 pm

It's not been too terribly long in the grand scheme of things. I'm sure the others will come around. But your predicament definitely reminds me of why I do not typically get puppies and why I was looking at 2 year olds mostly.

52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 2 Egwab0V52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 2 Egwam552 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 2 N37Sqqd52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 2 N37Sm552 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 2 XcwxC0C52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 2 Xcwxm5
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2022 6:36 pm

If I were to have gone looking, I'm with you. A rescue I can meet a couple of times and decide if it's gonna fit.

If I didn't know Chuck and his dogs I'd not have gone this way ... even though I'd like to have a pup who's less 'friendly'.

Not too long she says ... wanna trade shoes for a week?? It's been a small eternity!!

Corey Ford
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 22, 2022 12:38 am

aljones wrote:
If I were to have gone looking, I'm with you.  A rescue I can meet a couple of times and decide if it's gonna fit.

If I didn't know Chuck and his dogs I'd not have gone this way ... even though I'd like to have a pup who's less 'friendly'.

Not too long she says ... wanna trade shoes for a week??  It's been a small eternity!!

lol! lol! lol! Your curmudgeon is showing lol! lol! lol!

Reminds me ever so much of Josh when he first Archer. Puppies take patience. Your dogs may, and i emphasis the "may" part, be picking up on your frustration with the puppy and the situation and decide outside is a better bet. Sorry of like husband and kids at the height of my PMS lol!

Also - puppy didn't get the full litter mates manners teaching experience so you and the dogs are gonna have to show puppy the boundaries.

I also know we folk pay a certain age become street in our ways and decidedly grumpy when our universe becomes disordered.

May watch that old flick "grumpy old men." 😝
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 22, 2022 8:45 pm

Here's something to keep you going - who knows what grown-up Zeus will be capable of...

https://www.facebook.com/reel/434014872016237?s=yWDuG2&fs=e&mibextid=Nif5oz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

52 weeks of Zeus the GSD

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2