It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

52 weeks of Zeus the GSD

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptySun May 07, 2023 2:40 am

Shadow was toy motivated. We have replaced squeaky bone god knows how many times. Its a 3 dollar toy from tractor supply. Works much better then food. And my horse had jolly balls and jugs with bells and yes i know horse toys.

Everyone has new neighbors. And one of mine i discovered were antisemitic white supremacists, so my idf with hebrew sweatshirt and my black coworker, they said some shit i will jot repeat and walked out. Next liquor store is 18 miles away. Good riddence.

I do alot of group training with my dogs. They all do it or none get a treat. Ive been trying to train spider to crawl. But shadow gave me issues until he was about 2ish. Then all the sudden he was smart and trained. I had different issues with him and some of it i blame on the guys on base. He was a biter. And whenever someone got too close he would growl and show teeth and the guys would laugh and tell him he was a good dog and i think he developed a complex. Hes bit 6 people including a kirtland afb mp and a blm law ranger (in the ass). So different then Zeus.

Didn't anyone tell you it was dust storm season? When they did the prep before and during the planting the dust was brown out conditions. You had to wear a mask around center. I saw everything Thursday sun rain snow hail dust storm and dust devils between aurora and here.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptyThu May 11, 2023 1:05 am

Besides playing with the Jolly Ball by himself and maybe chasing a tennis(like) ball, Zeus isn't too toy motivated. I don't think he wants much of anything except to be beside me (would you please go away and let me use the facilities by myself!)

We have made some progress, he's been out of the crate for two nights without any problems. He hasn't gotten into the trash or the dog food and hasn't left me any messes to clean up. (( knock on wood here! ))

He'll play with Sky - and Sky often initiates it - until I say the the rough housing has reached my limit! He'll try to "talk" to Avalanche and Avalanches response is "Get the @#$$ out of my face!" Avalanche has had him pinned and whining and Zeus still goes back for more. Don't understand that!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptyThu May 11, 2023 1:19 am

Im having almost 1 yr old puppy problems also. Tucker wont be coming back. Spider has been separate and part of it is he is too stupid to not come straight in her face. Something else i think is going on is spider is guarding jerry. We are back to spider acting differently when jerry is around and not in a good way. Got any tips on resource guarding? But he had diarrhea everywhere today. He ests my trees and rose bushes, he steals things off tables and he cries all night long. He acts like he is 8 weeks old not 10 months.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptyMon May 15, 2023 9:47 am

Sounds like terrible teens to me. Kasper has been trying to eat the buds off my iris. When we first got him he was horrible about wanting to be in kye's face. We tried to just let kye tell him to stay out of my face but kye wouldn't lay down the law all that well so I used an ecollar on vibrate. It wasn't consistently effective for him with how thick his fur is but it did the job. Mostly just taking him to play with other dogs was the biggest help. If you could find a neighbor dog to play with and get his energy out it would help him to better leave the natives alone. Bringing the energy level down can help with the guarding. Kenzi will guard hard if another dog's energy is too high. She doesn't like hyperactivity and gets really grumpy.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptyTue May 30, 2023 9:54 am

I'm gonna kill him!! I said that I didn't have any problems with him being out of the crate overnight and that was WRONG! I kept smelling dog stuff and could tell where it was ... how about behind the couch? I have a bookcase behind the couch with walking room there but seldom go back there ... found several days worth of "stuff" so he's back into the crate overnight!

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 21, 2023 12:19 am

How is the heatwave? And how are the pups
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 22, 2023 4:28 pm

A friend has been watching (feeding / watering) Avalanche and Sky, the original owner of Zeus has had him in his care (his comments, while amusing, probably shouldn't be shared)

Unrelated answer:

Just in case I've missed some critical messages in the past couple of weeks, please excuse me.  'seems as if mother nature had an new experience in place just waiting for me to jump at ... and I'll tell you ahead that a broken hip at 76 is not this persons idea of a good time.
On the third I went over to talk with one of my newer neighbors and as I turned to leave, I tripped over a small stump that dropped me right onto my hip.  Said neighbor said that I had a really good vocabulary - glad there were no kids around, they'd have gotten a lesson in at leas trilingual profanity!!
Anyway, a short trip via EMS ground (80 miles ok) and air (app 300 miles, don't like small planes!) I ended up in El Paso, TX getting a nail set into my femur to hold hings together
Don't remember much of the 5th - other than that I could have used one - through the 9th drugged to the point that I wasn't sure where / when I was a lot of time.  They started me on therapy occupational (... ??? I'm retired) and physical.  Getting back on my feet was a major help to getting my thinking straight!!
They released me on the 21st to go home ... so, thanks to a friend, 400 miles (more or less) and 6 hours (more or less) I'm at home.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 23, 2023 3:39 pm

Oh my! Glad you're back home and nailed back together. So, mother hen that I am, you're at high risk of blood clots. The sooner you get back on your feet, the better. And moving around is your friend.

Hope you heal fast.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 23, 2023 3:48 pm

Oh. And you're language? Couldn't have been much worse than mine when I started to sit in the endodontist chair and the said "we don't use nitrous." After being told they did and verifying it on the web site. Mine wasn't in 3 languages, just pure longshoreman🙄
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 24, 2023 8:15 pm

amymeme wrote:
Oh my! Glad you're back home and nailed back together. So, mother hen that I am, you're at high risk of blood clots. The sooner you get back on your feet, the better. And moving around is your friend.

Hope you heal fast.

I spent the better part of three weeks in hospital with 3 hours of therapy per day beginning on day 2.  My biggest problem right now is that we're running 110+ (outside temp) so I spend most of my day asleep ... not a lot of exercise there.  Dogs and I are both going through massive amounts of water ... 1 (17 oz ) bottle for me and 2 for them.  Seems to work about right.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 25, 2023 11:30 am

Welp. Staying well hydrated will help against the clots.

How's the hip doing?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 25, 2023 10:39 pm

amymeme wrote:
Welp. Staying well hydrated will help against the clots.
The only problem I have with hydration is that every time I pick up a water bottle, it's empty! In between potential blood clots and highs in the 110's I'm putting away some water!!

amymeme wrote:
How's the hip doing?
I'm using a pair of crutches, still don't trust myself or devices to get outside much (add the fact that I'd cook!). I am getting around pretty well but every once in a while I twist myself and set off an alarm. Not too painful, just hurts.

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 26, 2023 9:59 am

When my grandma broke her hip she said that was one of of the worst pains she had ever had. Hopefully you heal well and get good movement and strength back.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 26, 2023 10:40 am

TwisterII wrote:
When my grandma broke her hip she said that was one of of the worst pains she had ever had. Hopefully you heal well and get good movement and strength back.

While I won't even pretend that it felt good, it wasn't the worst I've ever felt.

Amy can correct me if she will, I understand that there are two major groups of breaks call "hip breaks." One is where the femur breaks and the bone has to be put back together with a nail - like mine; the other is where the hip itself breaks and I wouldn't want to know what that feels like. Biggest problem for me is that with the bone being held together with a nail, I don't know how much I can use it without damage.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 26, 2023 11:35 am

aljones wrote:
TwisterII wrote:

While I won't even pretend that it felt good, it wasn't the worst I've ever felt.  

Amy can correct me if she will, I understand that there are two major groups of breaks call "hip breaks."  One is where the femur breaks and the bone has to be put back together with a nail - like mine; the other is where the hip itself breaks and I wouldn't want to know what that feels like.  Biggest problem for me is that with the bone being held together with a nail, I don't know how much I can use it without damage.

That's a question you need to ask your surgeon because at this point, exercise is your friend. You want strength to return, not atrophy. And movement helps prevent blood clots. The usual advice is"exercise as tolerated" but don't know if that applies to broken hips.

And you're first question?

https://nyulangone.org/conditions/hip-pelvic-fractures/types
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 27, 2023 12:40 am

So in my disappearance due to a wind storm related mini breakdown and finding out my mom has to come help with my hip surgery next month alot happened. And my surgery is to prevent a hip break or worse. That is really umm not good at any age but gets worse with age.

I really wish i could say i cant imagine 114 but i did live in houston and left after 35 days where even at night it didnt go below 102. Today when i was at work all the texans were talking about how nice the weather was here today. Clearly they dont know 84 is a heat wave up here. They also didnt realize our weather has not been normal since monsoon 2022. I have never met so many angry, miserable tourists before this last 2 weeks. Youd think they just went through hip surgery with no anesthesia or pain meds. But really i have also never met so many (not sure if bigot is the right word). There have been 2 times i thought there was about to be a shooting in the store this week. I dont really care what bud is doing i dont want to hear all the nicknames, and colorado is an open carry state. So today the police chief pulls over a truck thinking he saw something earlier. The driver says why would i speed and pass on the right and run the stop sign when i go through here all the time. The cop says i swear i saw your truck do that, the driver says to the cop you sure it wasnt that truck, or that one, or that one... in the 10 mins the traffic stop was going on 4 more white fords with ranch hand brush guards and texas plates went past. Talk about truck camo. It totally happened tonight while i was at work.

Feel better (cliche i know) train zues to pick stuff up and get things for you.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 28, 2023 4:30 pm

How are you surviving these temps, Al. Hope you're ok.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 28, 2023 6:13 pm

amymeme wrote:
How are you surviving these temps, Al. Hope you're ok.

I'm okay and the dogs are surviving - do we really have a choice? It's not too bad this year, not above 115 too often - just once a day or so. Seriously it's hitting just over the century mark but it's been steady for almost two weeks now, currently 104 and beginning to drop.

Thanks for asking ... since I can't get out, I sorta wonder if there's anyone out there anymore.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 28, 2023 7:48 pm

I'm out here. Just back from finishing the root canal, thank you Ami. Didn't present as a tooth problem early on - thought it was just bruised nerve and then after seeing the dentist, he thought maybe an abscess and prescribed antibiotics. I had an appt with hygienist but it was 3 weeks out because of Easter school break and then she was sick and I was on call for cancellation. So it was about 6 weeks after seeing the dentist that I finally had x-rays. Which showed a rather large hole in the bone. Then took another few weeks to get in for endodontics. But finally sealed the root canal today but back on antibiotics again for the injection that won't quit. She's estimating about a year for the bone to fill in. Wants to see me in 6 months to make sure it's healing. She took 4-5 x-rays today as she filled the canal to make sure it was properly filled. I thought I was done but now back to regular dentist for final permanent filling.

And - I still haven't learned not to bend over to kiss the top of Ami's head!!! I keep catching myself and then wondering if I'll ever learn🙄
Back to top Go down
wooley4pk
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2023-01-05

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 8:56 pm

I have to join in and laugh on getting booped from leaning down to kiss the dogs. Jessi gave me a nice flat lip yesterday, lucky for me it was only that. Sorry about your tooth.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptyThu Jul 06, 2023 10:27 am

How's the hip coming, Al?
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptyThu Jul 06, 2023 12:12 pm

How you feeling? And yea i dropped off the planet to sell already drunk texans beer. Maybe you can explain the dressing up like a cowboy just to go to the rodeo thing to me. Dont get me wrong its fun watching people fly but why spend all that on the outfit. You can Always tell the brand new boots and hats from ones worn all the time.

And your heatwave hit us up here. I know its nothing in comparison to most of the country but then again most of the country doesn't get as cold as here so we are on a different spectrum. Also i think being closer to the sun also factors into how ut actually feels out.

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptyThu Jul 06, 2023 2:49 pm

amymeme wrote:
How's the hip coming, Al?

As long as I don't have to set, stand or lay the hip is fine. Otherwise it hurts like a bear!

Made arrangements last night to go into town to get some stuff (water and food) so of course when I woke up this AM and swung my legs to get out of bed I stopped quick I HURT from the hip down to my knee. A couple of Alieve worked for a while ... We went in (David drove) ate, got water and left.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptyThu Jul 06, 2023 9:37 pm

Ugh. I was hoping you were more comfortable. Any physical therapy available/marginally convenient for you?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 EmptySat Jul 08, 2023 5:57 pm

Finally got a followup appointment at the 'local' hospital on Monday with the surgeon so we'll see what he has to say.  Some days I'm "fine" (meaning it hurts but not so bad I'm chugging Aleve / Tylenol); some days the first thing I do is grab a couple of Aleve (which seem to work better than Tylenol[??])
Really I know it's healing (I think) and I'm old enough to know that things that went "snap" are going to take a while to "get right" and in the meantime I'm apt to do something that's gonna hurt, dagnabit! ... that'll teach me to go walking around??  Smile

The "hospital" has an affiliated therapy unit which I'm hoping the surgeon will "prescribe." I can't afford in time or gas to go up as often as they'd probably like (80 miles each way) but some help / ideas from the therapist staff to help me help this heal better/quicker would be useful.

(( The Hospital is the "Big Bend Regional Medical Center" with a few rooms, an emergency "wing", an associated clinic, and associated therapy unit.  All in an area smaller than most walk in clinics.  They really do try to serve the community but mostly it's stabilizing people prior to transport to Midland/Odessa, El Paso, etc. a necessary function but it gives the hospital a "bad name" since so little is actually done here. ))

The heat hasn't been awfully bad, today it's 95° with 33% humidity - tolerable with a fan / breeze.  Personally I wish the humidity would drop another 10% then it'd be comfortable even at 95.  We have had more than a few days where the temps were 105+ (actually something like 12 of them in a row!!!) and most of those were immediately after I came home from the air conditioned hospital!

Really have to extend my appreciation to the fellow who's graciously giving his time to chauffeur me around.  I pay for gas and whatever else comes up (lunch, etc) but that's not really compensation for his time and I've been chewing into his time, big time!

Zeus is chipped to me but I'm not sure if I'm gonna get him back (facetious) he's having too much fun playing with his aunt (I think) and about 4 other GSD's.  I can't handle him right now so a friend has been taking care of him.  When I get back on my feet I'm going to owe the world a slew of "favours" just to try to catch up ...

ETA:
It's looking like our resident New Yorker may be getting rained out.  @Amymeme how you all doing, the rains in the northeast look bad.

EATA:
Well, say the doctor today who says "You're really healing well for you age"  So, gee, thanks a lot!
I have to put on some weight, I dropped 25 pounds in the two weeks I was in hospital and can't seem to put any of it back on, I haven't weighed in at 165 since high school!

If I keep moving around as I have been the therapy won't be a lot of help, especially since they want more than once or twice a week ... but on that note he has scheduled me for another follow up at 12 weeks ... not sure whether 6 weeks out is good or bad.

Gonna have to see if I can push a clutch pedal ... I think I;m getting to the point I can but haven't tried yet ... we'll see

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD   52 weeks of Zeus the GSD - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

52 weeks of Zeus the GSD

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next