It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

success and failure

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Becky
Puppy
Puppy
Becky

Female Join date : 2011-05-09

success and failure Empty
PostSubject: success and failure   success and failure EmptyFri May 20, 2011 6:08 pm

Training Miko has been an absolute nightmare. She knows all her commands but doesn't always use them. She is always crated when we are not home and over night because she can't be trusted. I was proud when she graduated obedience but out side of the classroom she is beyond stubborn and when she decides to be a "bad girl" she is absolutley horrible. That being said I want to share with everyone that after almost a year I have successfully trained her not to cross the street without permission.

I live in an urban area with very busy streets. Miko and I walk these streets daily and we take all sorts of different routes. Now when we reach an intersection or need to cross the street she stops and looks at me and waits for me to give the okay to cross. This is a proud day.

Now if any one has any suggestions on correcting bad behavior I would love to hear it. I have tried taking away toys, ignoring her, crating her, we have tried bitter apple and other like substances to stop chewing, even cayenne pepper. Nothing works.

My biggest and most immediate concerns are:
Stealing food and rummaging through garbage(she has gotten sick a couple of times from garbage)
Jumping on people who coming in the house(in an excited way not ggressive)
Failure you to follow commands when hyper(Cy(daddy) broke his toe when she took of running trying to catch her because she wouldn't obey a "Come" command)

Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: success and failure   success and failure EmptyFri May 20, 2011 11:29 pm

We fixed the trash issue by buying one of those metal garbage cans with the heavy metal lid. Even when it gets tipped over, it stays shut. Once Luka figured out she couldn't get into it, she stopped trying. The garbage can was a bit expensive, but it was way worth it!

I ask my dogs to do something else before they have the chance to jump. If I come in the door and I see one of mine running toward me with that "I love you so much I'm going to jump on you" look, I ask them to sit before they have the chance to jump on me. If they still jump, I just turn my back, and ask them to sit again. After they are sitting I give them the attention they are looking for, or give them a treat. Sometimes they were so excited that I would have to repeat this a few times before they calmed down. For a long time I had a jar of treats by the door that anyone who entered could use to get them to sit instead of jump. I also had to make it clear to everyone who came in my house that it was NOT OK for the dogs to jump on them, as some of my friends would just say "its fine I don't mind". Now they just seem to know that staying down is what gets them attention. Basically, they just have to get the idea into their head that jumping means I get ignored and not jumping equals attention. Its hard to ignore a crazy jumping husky though! tongue

Failure to follow commands will just come with age and practice. If she can learn to wait before crossing the street she can learn other things that require self control! You should be very proud of her! Luka was such a naughty girl for her first two years. I just kept telling myself it would get better, and with some hard work, it did!
Back to top Go down
Becky
Puppy
Puppy
Becky

PostSubject: Re: success and failure   success and failure EmptyFri May 20, 2011 11:42 pm

Great feedback Melissa. I guess its all going to come down to a matter of will. My will against her will...I will win.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: success and failure   success and failure EmptyFri May 20, 2011 11:48 pm

Good job getting her to heal at streets! I have been working on heal at streets for months and my 2 still want to plow right into them.

Puppy
Puppy
Becky

PostSubject: Re: success and failure   success and failure EmptySat May 21, 2011 12:13 am

Jenn, its two against one for you! I use a cinch collar while walking her. Otherwise she is so excited(as if she has never been out of the house before) she is all over the place. I made her sit when we approached the curb, everytime. And said "Okay" when it was safe to cross. Now when she reaches that yellow curb she just stops and looks at me(she doesn't sit but she does stop which i am very happy with).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: success and failure   success and failure Empty

Back to top Go down

success and failure

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1