It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Our new puppy has diarrhea

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheHailstorm
Newborn
Newborn
TheHailstorm

Female Join date : 2011-06-21

Our new puppy has diarrhea Empty
PostSubject: Our new puppy has diarrhea   Our new puppy has diarrhea EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 12:25 pm

Hey. So as some of you may know we just brought Bella home last night. She is 9 weeks old. So far she's doing great here at home, she even slept for 5 hours straight! She has been having an issue that I need some advice with.... When we went to pick her up last night they told us that Bella had diarrhea. They said that all the puppies had it, and that yesterday was the first day that they had the diarrhea. The vet came last night to administer the puppies second round of shots before we took her home and took a stool sample back to test. The vet recommended that we give her white rice and low fat cottage cheese. She still has the diarrhea this morning and vomited once earlier this morning as well. She vomited right after chugging a ton of water from being in her crate during the night, so I thought that maybe from drinking that much water at once may have upset her stomach and caused her to throw up.. ok so some questions... I just cooked her some white rice and she ate some cottage cheese last night, should I mix the rice and cottage cheese together to give the rice some flavor? or should I keep them seperated? Does it defeat the purpose of the rice to combine them? Is there anything else we could use that would be better to help harden her stools... I don't want there to be nothing wrong with her, and I'm not sure how long it takes to get the test results back from the vet, luckily she hasn't pooped in the house (yet, sure hope she doesnt, its liquid) any help/advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HuskyHangout
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Our new puppy has diarrhea   Our new puppy has diarrhea EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 1:18 pm

I'm curious to hear the test results from her fecal sample. It shouldn't take very long for the results to come back.

I'm not familiar with bringing home a puppy, but that statement "All puppies have diarehha" doesn't sound right to me.

Brown rice is better than white rice, but often times Huskies, or northern breeds, do not tolerate rice very well, or sometimes even grain for that matter. Cottage cheese will help to give her protein, but personally, I would prefer to give hard boiled eggs or plain scrambled eggs (you'll need a good non stick pan) as a source for a neutral protein. In lieu of rice, I would prefer to give no salt canned green beans which will give her fiber to keep her moving. If you want to use a grain, whole cooked oats or quinoa would be good alternatives.

I'm hoping Val will chime in - my experience with diarreha are with adults and not puppies, so I'm not quite sure what their baby bellies can and cannot handle.

Newborn
Newborn
TheHailstorm

PostSubject: Re: Our new puppy has diarrhea   Our new puppy has diarrhea EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 2:18 pm

Thanks for the advice, we cannot get her to eat the rice/cottage cheese combo, although she will eat the cottage cheese just fine. We're boiling her some eggs as we speak, luckily shes napping right now, so they can be ready for when she wakes up. And they didn't say that all puppies have diarrhea, just all their puppies had diarrhea. So its possible it could just be a virus or something of that nature since all 6 puppies had it. They didn't say that all puppies in general have diarrhea, I wouldn't agree with that statement either!! Smile I do have the card for their vet and called them, they said the test results should be back sometime this afternoon. So I will update this as soon as I find out. I'm hoping Val will come chime in as well, she always seems to have good opinions and knowledge on things, I really love this site knowing that I can get help and support from other husky owners who may or may not have been through the same thing. Well I'll be back later after I get some test results, but I'll check back periodically!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Our new puppy has diarrhea   Our new puppy has diarrhea EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 2:25 pm

Keep us posted with her fecal tests. I do hope it's all negative, and that upset tummy is because she's trying to settle in to her new home.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Our new puppy has diarrhea   Our new puppy has diarrhea EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 2:26 pm

I had the same issue with Kody when i brought him home. Total liquid diarrhea. Val and Claudia suggested the boiled eggs and it did help so I'm hoping that it helps for you as well.

I hope the test results give you good news. Poor baby Bella.

Oh, and I think Claudia meant that she would be concerned if all of the breeders liter had diarrhea not all puppies in general Very Happy

Please keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Our new puppy has diarrhea   Our new puppy has diarrhea EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 2:34 pm

We are going through the same thing with Ghost right now. She's had diarrhea ever since we brought her home... She tested negative for worms, so we suspect a food issue. We were trying to slowly transition from Purina to Innova, but weren't seeing a change in the poo (which I suspect may have been me screwing up the transition), so I'm doing the eggs/carrots/green beans thing until we see an improvement. If she goes soft again after we try to reintroduce the Innova, we'll try out a grain free food. Any recommendations out there for a grain free puppy food? We can get Blue Wilderness at the Petsmart down the road, I think we can get TOTW here in town as well, but it's a bit of a hike to find Orijin.

Hope you guys get Bella's issues resolved!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Our new puppy has diarrhea 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Our new puppy has diarrhea   Our new puppy has diarrhea EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 2:59 pm

I think Natural Balance (or is it Nature's Balance) has an all life stages grain free food. We tried it with Kody, but ehhhh yeah...didn't work with him. He's currently on Orijen and The Honest Kitchen, but he's getting expensive! Now that he's been settled for some months I thinking about trying out TOTW or Blue Wilderness Salmon. I used to feed BW to Mya, but switched her to a low cal food. Now that she's lost some I'm thinking of mixing the BW in with her low cal food. She used to love it!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Our new puppy has diarrhea   Our new puppy has diarrhea EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 3:34 pm

TOTW is all life stage kibble. Canidae also has an all life stage grain free kibble.

I sometimes order my Orijen from naturalK9supplies.com. It's a discount online pet food and supply store and if you use BARK10 coupon on check out, you save an additional 10%.

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Our new puppy has diarrhea   Our new puppy has diarrhea EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 4:07 pm

I think the vomit was due to drinking too much water, too fast also. I wouldn't be worried about that one bit. I'm extremely interested in the fecal results. Hearing that the whole litter had diarrhea at the same time makes me very nervous. Until you get the fecal results all you can do is put her on a bland diet and wait.

Knowing the tendency for sibes to be sensitive to rice I wouldn't recommend feeding it at all. I would do a boiled or scrambled egg with sweet potato for a bland diet personally. Although you might be better off sticking to just the eggs at first and giving her some Nutri-Cal with the eggs. I don't normally recommend Nutri-Cal for adults or older pups but since you've got such a young pup I would supplement the Nutri-Cal just to be on the safe side (this will also help keep her sugar levels up).

Also keep in mind that stress can result in diarrhea so it's perfectly normal to experience stress diarrhea accompanying a major life change such as being taken away from her mom/littermates, the only home she's ever known, and thrust into a totally new family/environment. Since the diarrhea started before you picked her up I would assume that the original cause is not stress but the transition stress might just exacerbate the diarrhea she already has. I'm thinking it might be worms or a virus (fingers crossed it's not giardia or parvo) but we'll just have to wait for those results to come in.

Edited to add: Is the food you bought for her the same as what she's been eating at the breeders house? I know many people want to switch their new pups to a better food as soon as possible but that can be very hard on puppy's tummy. I always recommend keeping new dogs (puppy or adult) on the same food they were being fed prior to coming home with you so that they have a few weeks to adjust to their new environment without the added stress of stomach upset before transitioning to a better food or your food of choice.

Newborn
Newborn
TheHailstorm

PostSubject: Re: Our new puppy has diarrhea   Our new puppy has diarrhea EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 7:45 pm

Hey everyone!! Thanks for everyones advice and input...as always I appreciate it all!! Got word from the vet over the weekend from the pups stool samples and all is negative!! They tested them for worms and some other things and it all came back negative! Bellas stools have been getting better.... the vet said that she was almost positive that the whole litter had diarrhea because the people who had the puppies ran out of puppy food and started giving them adult dog food instead... I also think that they deprived them of some water because ever since she has been home, and I'm sure a lot is also due to the diarrhea and loose stools that she was dehydrated because she drank water like she never had any...peeing every 10-20 minutes....I think shes finally starting to get down this whole potty outside thing... today has been the best day we've had for potty training! We can only hope it continues to continually improve! She only pooped once in the house which was 2 days ago and luckily it was a harder stool...her stools have been definitely firmer...because they were completely liquid... thanks for the rice advice, she didn't like it enough to even try a taste of it... she loves hard boiled eggs and we give her a couple of those during the day to help loosen her stools... just feeding her her kibble and trying to get her back used to puppy food now. Shes been doing great though loves her crate and sleeps all night maybe needing to go out two times all night long....shes a very good girl, and as we all know, a wild child!! I'm just happy to know that nothing is wrong with her and her diarrhea is due to the incompetence of those who had her before us and now we can do nothing but do the best we can for her! Smile Thanks everyone again!! Look out for some new pics of Bella since we've had her home very soon!!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Our new puppy has diarrhea   Our new puppy has diarrhea EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 8:13 pm

good news!

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Our new puppy has diarrhea   Our new puppy has diarrhea EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 8:58 pm

good to hear she's doing better!

Newborn
Newborn
TheHailstorm

PostSubject: Re: Our new puppy has diarrhea   Our new puppy has diarrhea EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 9:14 pm

Thank you us too!! We were really worried about her!! Poor girl!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Our new puppy has diarrhea   Our new puppy has diarrhea Empty

Back to top Go down

Our new puppy has diarrhea

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1