It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 10:03 pm

So sorry you have to even think about getting rid of Dakota. Sad I really hope you guys can work this out. Everyone will be here for you no matter what happens.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 10:32 pm

I will reply more and talk to you personally tomorrow, Val... but I would be completely against Dakota going anywhere, ESPECIALLY during the pregnancy. I honestly have the same fears about Koda when I get pregnant.... but Kristina is right. You (AND HUBBY) need to start doing personal space exercises. And you know as well as we all do that the training is mental stimulation that will help to exhaust his energy.

Hang in there, hun. Erasmo is scared and probably feeling guilty that he can't be around as much as he might want to to protect you. However, he does need to man up and realize that your mental and emotional health need protection as well. Wait until you both calm down, and then I would try calmly bringing up some training options as well as asking him to do ONE outdoor shift with the dogs a day. He loves you. You will make this work. Dakota isn't going anywhere. Breathe I love you

PS- You have my number... you should 100% feel free to CALL ME if you need to vent or talk. I don't just do texts Smile

Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 10:36 pm

im so so sorry to hear this val. i have nothing to add that others haven't already said. i like the personal space training and treadmill ideas a lot. my thoughts are with you!!
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 11:14 pm

I've been thinking about this and how hard it will be for you with baby in tow on these dog walks a few months from now. Our baby #1 loved his stroller but #2 hated it. Baby #2 was carried in a backpack all the time. Your baby would still be in danger from jumping Dakota if he were being carried in a backpack or a front pouch. And a hyper Dakota would make a walk with a stroller miserable as well if you had to do it all by yourself. Therefore, I'm with Shannon and others, I really think stepping up the personal space training AND teaching Dakota to walk on a treadmill might be the way to go.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 7:58 am

All I can say is I am amazed at the support you guys have shown and I can't thank you enough for all the encouragement and ideas for dealing with this issue. In the last 20 hours Dakota and I have been inseparable, amazing how much more you cherish the little things when they are threatened to be taken away.

Hubby did talk to his mother on the phone yesterday asking if she'd take Dakota for the next 9 months, to which she apparently said she'd do it and asked when she needed to pick him up. Hearing this, I told him that Dakota was absolutely not going anywhere. So he said to his mother on the phone that the only way he'd be able to get Dakota out of the house would be to do it in secret. I really feel like that was more sarcasm than real sentiments but at this point I really can't say with certainty. I brought up the whole stress argument and he was just silent from that point on. Neutral

Ashley, I've been asking to get a treadmill for the past 2 years and hubby doesn't want a treadmill, he wants an elliptical. Try as I might he's not budging on that since we only have space for one and of course he's opting for the one he likes best since he'll be the primary user...using the dog as an argument will get me nowhere...I promise you that. But I will keep pushing for a treadmill until the end...not going to get my hopes up.

Here4thePics wrote:
Be opposed once Dakota is out ............good luck getting him back in. No

That's a good point, hadn't thought of that...and I honestly wouldn't put it past him to do that now that you mention it. I am most definitely going to be against Dakota going anywhere even if he claims it's just "temporary". It's not worth my worry and grief over.

Kristina, thank you for the training ideas. I will definitely start working on the personal space training. Hubby doesn't even need to bother with that, Dakota definitely respects his personal space...mine? Not so much. I have tried no jumping training in the past and have given up out of frustration every time, this dog is a tough cookie to crack but I guess now I need to stick with the training out of necessity rather than convenience.

Thank you for the reassurance, Tori. I need to stay positive and believe that Dakota will stay and find ways to make it happen. I think I will start asking him to at least throw the ball around in the yard a few times a week to start, not like it's asking all that much and hopefully that will help those two bond a little.

Lisa, walking the dogs with a baby in tow has been weighing on my mind heavily. I too had thought about what would be better, a stroller or backpack type carrier. I trained him to walk on a loose leash in the very beginning so his behavior on lead in familiar places (like our neighborhood) doesn't really concern me. He walks very well and always keeps the lead slack on normal walks (my biggest concern with that would be coming across a stray dog or animal) in which case I'd probably step away from the stroller for safety reasons until he calmed down. I think the personal space training that we will start working on immediately should help keep his paws on the ground should I decide to use a backpack carrier. I'm definitely open to additional ideas and tips on walking with a dog and baby together.

I can't thank you all enough for all the prayers, suggestions and advice. We'll be stepping up the training immediately and hopefully hubby will start taking a more active role in helping with the dogs. I'll absolutely be doing everything in my power to keep Dakota in his rightful home.

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 1:06 pm

We're here for you Val!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 1:30 pm

Val we all know your a fighter and know you will not back down from this so good luck!
and im trying to figure out in that huge home of yours how is there not room for 2 pieces of exercise equipment?

also with the stroller issue, do you plan on walking Dakota with a stroller say NOW so you can get him ready for when there is a live baby in there?

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 1:39 pm

jbealer wrote:
im trying to figure out in that huge home of yours how is there not room for 2 pieces of exercise equipment?

I know that those machines can be a bit pricey, but if you do some searching you can find a used treadmill for super cheap. My best friend found one on Craigs list for $100 and it works great. Plus, tell your hubby that the elliptical machine makes your heals hurt. At least to me it does..LOL!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 1:41 pm

Good idea Jenn! There was a lady who I did agility with (she had like... 5 or 6 Duck trolling retriever? I think she was a show/breeder) and she talked about how when she would get pregnant she'd walk around carrying baby equipment and pretty much condition the dogs to the random and sometimes eccentric life of having a baby while it was still in the oven.

Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 2:12 pm

I had our treadmill in the garage for Ridik when he still used it. So aggravating to read this from this side.

[rant] I worked 12 hours a day, 6 days a week for several months when we first had Sioux and Bubba, and you know what? I got my ass up earlier and ate better so I could stay awake at work. Even if he didn't initially want the Husky, it's done. Game over, he's in for the long haul or he isn't. I can't imagine putting Lindsay through that additional stress when things aren't balanced anyway. Sure, I've said worse about our dogs (shed visit, isolated forest known to have bears, guns...) but it was all out of destroyed furniture anger. Hopefully he's just freaking about the baby. I know I would have to take a few week sabbatical if we had that situation. My absolute anger would require my removal from the home environment for the entire gestation/newborn phase.[/rant]

All Dakota needs is a few weeks of intense energy drain and the need diminishes after that. It has been that way with every dog I walk. Within two months they're almost level headed and capable of skipping days.

Dang this thread has been a distraction in the back of my mind.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 2:29 pm

In case you're interested (and because I have an insatiable desire to help and have mad internet skillz Smile - here are treadmills under $500 in Charleston on craigslist:

There's a almost never used one for $250:
Treadmills on craigslist

There's even a crazy one that folds into a wood cabinet!!
hidden treadmill

p.s. a good argument for a treadmill is that after baby, you'll need to take it easy and ramp back up to exercise. Elliptical won't be good for new mommy! (I have no idea if this is true...but it sounds plausible!).
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 2:33 pm

Must be more treadmill users in Colorado...
http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/hab/2536070480.html

I wouldn't pay more than $50-$75 for one. But that's our market.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 3:04 pm

You guys are so awesome!

I do plan on getting him used to stuff in advance, Jenn. It's just so early at this point that I'm not going to start buying stuff until MONTHS down the road. We're only halfway through the first trimester and while I am being optimistic about it, I know that statistically the majority of miscarriages happen in first tri. I won't even consider buying anything until later in the 2nd tri just because I don't want to count my chickens before they've hatched so to speak.

I'm really not too worried about that stuff though. Dakota's been around for both of my nieces' births, infant and toddler stages. He's used to being around infants and toddlers and all things associated with them. When my nieces were infants they would crawl on him and grab his fur and he would not do a thing to them, just get up and leave if they were getting too annoying. My nieces also used to cover him up with blankets and pet him a little rough (like kids do) and he was so gentle with them.

A few pics showing how good he was with my niece:
Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 PC251579

Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 PC251573

Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 56

Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 57

Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 IMG_4731

Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 IMG_4698

Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 IMG_4675

He's an absolute doll around infants and toddlers!

Even in this big house it's been a challenge finding a place for an elliptical to go. Basically we've decided on putting it in a spare bedroom. Our space is going to be limited further knowing now that one of the bedrooms will have to be converted to a nursery...I've always wanted a Winnie the Pooh themed nursery! That'll go both ways if we have a boy or girl...still rooting for boy though! How pitiful is it that I've already been playing around with boy and girl name combinations in my head already?! Rolling Eyes

I personally would have no problem buying a cheap used treadmill but hubby is the type that ONLY buys new things. To suggest that he buy something used would be like an insult to him. Rolling Eyes It can be annoying sometimes but I love him, quirks and all...even when he does and says stupid stuff like the whole reason behind this thread.

My goodness, Hollywood, that "hidden" treadmill is awesome! lol If we did get a treadmill it would have to be the folding kind that wouldn't take up much room. If you know of any new fold up treadmills that are long term reliable and not too expensive let me know.

I think I am going to really push for the treadmill not just for the dog but for me too. I mean really, does he want me walking in 20 degree and below temperatures this winter with a big baby bump...are there maternity winter coats? confused Would be so much safer for me to exercise on a treadmill in the house during the winter and it could double for the dog. Elliptical would not be good because it'd be too much up and down for baby. Wink Razz Okay, now that I've convinced myself I just need to convince the hubby. If you have any additional arguments FOR a treadmill that I can use please share them! I need to make a solid case.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 3:12 pm

Look at those precious pictures with Dakota and kids! Maybe you can show them to hubby as a reminder of how good he is with babies, and how much more baby's life will be filled growing up with Dakota!

Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 3:22 pm

+1 Claudia!!

Val- A treadmill is more versatile. You can only "run" with an elliptical, but a treadmill you can walk on OR run. You'll be able to get full use out of it no matter what shape you are in. Even when you are sick, you can walk on a treadmill, but an elliptical would make ME sick if I ran on it and wasn't feeling 100%!

I'll try and think of more Wink

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 3:28 pm

I'm with Tori. When I worked out everyday, I enjoyed the treadmill SO much more- I can run, jog, walk.. where as with the elliptical you can run or barely be doing anything and IMO it's so boring I want to die. And you are 100% right, this would be great to keep you in shape during your pregnancy! My sister bought a treadmill and exercise bike during hers, since she was pregnant during the summer AKA heck no to outdoors.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 3:28 pm

Val,
do any of the mothers/wife's you walk with have a stroller around you could walk by and pick up and drop back off a few times a week just to start? no need to buy if people will lend.

i got my TM for Christmas and i LOVE IT. i did go new and it was just under $500 on some special. it inclines up to 10 and has speakers to play music off my phone, also work out programs, HR monitor. i only stare at this thing every morning and i can't think of the brand it is!!! will let you know, i love it and it has added shock stuff for my knees and its great, i love it over the Elliptical, many more options to work out.

love the pictures.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 3:47 pm

Those are great arguments ladies! Thank you!

Jenn, none of the wives that I walk with every day have young kids. All their kids are grown up so that's a no go. There is one person in my neighborhood that has a toddler but I've never really talked to them (they don't come outside much) so I wouldn't ask unless I was more acquainted with a person. I could use my sisters stuff whenever I visit her, although I don't see her too often now since she's in FL.

Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 3:56 pm

When I did gymnastics the treadmill helped sooo much to loosen up my hips and well with a baby on the way you're going to want and need some loose flexible hips! Very Happy

And +1 on the Ellipticals are boring!

Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 4:46 pm

Treadmill buying guide on Consumer Reports : http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home-garden/sports-exercise-equipment/treadmills/treadmill-buying-advice/index.htm

Also - some of the running forums maybe be a good place to look for reviews:
http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/shoes-stuff/treadmills/market-folding-treadmill

and OMG - there's DOG treadmills!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JK4MY4/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001M7U92Y&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=111WWPGW0EB662DE46B4
Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 51FLxMUHIQL._AA300_
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 7:30 pm

Lol, I've seen the dog treadmills but no way would I even spend that much for a dog specific item when a few hundred more will get a product humans can also use.

Good night! I just looked at prices on folding treadmills and they're running way more than I was expecting. Neutral I know hubby had a $600-$700 elliptical in mind that he wanted to buy...was kinda hoping a good folding treadmill would run in that price range.

Thanks so much for all the links, that is so extremely helpful!

Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 7:37 pm

Always look Amazon Smile

http://www.amazon.com/Horizon-Fitness-HTM0694-00-T101-Treadmill/dp/B002IN6LKA/ref=sr_1_1?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1312842797&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Horizon-Evolve-SG-Compact-Treadmill/dp/B00180NZ8K/ref=sr_1_3?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1312842797&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Merit-Fitness-725T-Plus-Treadmill/dp/B003TNJRLI/ref=sr_1_4?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1312842797&sr=1-4

All best-sellers on Amazon with 4+* ratings Smile All ship free! All under $600

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 7:43 pm

Thanks Tori, I was starting to freak out! Shocked

*sigh* I'm off to broach the subject with hubby...wish me luck! Neutral

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 7:55 pm

Val. mine folds up as well and was under $500, it has a slow release so when you "unfold" it it does not drop down and crush anything, like a baby or dog Wink . will get you the brand and model tonight.

and GOOD LUCK!!!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 8:03 pm

Thanks Jenn!

Wonder of wonders he said he's open to getting a treadmill instead of an elliptical!!! bounce HOWEVER, he wants to know how much maintenance they require and how much it will cost a year to maintain. He says his parents and his aunt both used to have treadmills and neither did any maintenance and both of their treadmills ceased to function in about a years time or less. So for those of you who are familiar with treadmills and their maintenance, how long have you had yours for and what kind of maintenance work does it require and how much does it cost you annually to maintain, if you don't mind my asking?

I will have to do some of my own research on this and if he finds it reasonable enough then I can start shopping for a folding treadmill. Fingers crossed the maintenance is cheap and minor! Whew, past the first hurdle! Smile

PostSubject: Re: Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog   Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hubby wants to get rid of my heart dog

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next