It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My Sensitive Boy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

My Sensitive Boy Empty
PostSubject: My Sensitive Boy   My Sensitive Boy EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 3:27 am

Kale dry heaved for 2 mins and finally threw up tonight... its the last straw! I'm done with his chronic Colitis and loose stools. My poor baby! After the buzz on here about raw feeding and THK I did some research and have decided to try it. Just finished ordering some sample packs. Hopefully this diet will be better for my sensitive boy. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

My Sensitive Boy Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Sensitive Boy   My Sensitive Boy EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 11:26 am

What were/are you feeding him now?

How loose are his stools?

How long has this been going on?

Have you tried a bland diet of eggs and maybe green beans to see if you can help him 'reset' his digestive tract? So that you can ease him into another food?

If you've already posted all of this info, my apologies. I must've missed it.

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

My Sensitive Boy Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Sensitive Boy   My Sensitive Boy EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 11:53 am

I feel for you, we have TWO sensitive dogs and it's no guarantee that the best foods out there will work better for his tummy although it doesn't hurt to try. With a really sensitive dog I would stick with limited ingredient diets as much as possible to help with an elimination diet to help you pinpoint what ingredients work and what don't. Using a digestive supplement helps some. My 2 sensitive dogs cannot be without Perfect Form digestive aid supplement (made by The Honest Kitchen). It's the only thing that helps keep them from having regular outbreaks of digestive upset. My extremely sensitive girl with irritable bowel, Faith, absolutely cannot live without Perfect Form. Without it she'll have chronic diarrhea no matter what food she eats, even on food that agrees with her. Perfect Form doesn't work for every dog but it works for mine and most importantly it's safe for long term use.

I just mention that because dogs with irritable bowel can experience chronic stomach problems even on foods that do agree with them...it's not always their food that's to blame in a true case of IBS/IBD.

Senior
Senior
hypers987

My Sensitive Boy Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Sensitive Boy   My Sensitive Boy EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 1:16 pm

He's been this way since I first got him at 5 weeks, I fed him BB large breed when he was a puppy, then geez, I've tried so many dog foods its hard to remember them all. The only one where I saw improvement was TOTW (all 3) but he hated it. He would sit for dinner, I'd set it down and tell him "eat" and he'd sniff it, snort, look at me as if saying "really?! your feeding me this?!" and then walk away. I did try egg...Colitits. cottage cheese? colitis. when changing food it takes 3 weeks and he still gets the runs. I cant keep taking him to my boss cuz I cant afford the all the metronidazole. His fur is dry and course, not soft like it should be. ugh. we ran out of the TOTW and he needed food and I hadn't done any research so I just got a bag of science diet at work cuz I get it at a discount. He really likes it but now he has corn poopies My Sensitive Boy 1625187496 of course. I just want to find a food that he enjoys eating, agrees with him, and that is healthy. Its so frustrating. Funny that you mentioned Perfect Form because I totally ordered the samples of that too! haha I glad to hear that it can be used long term, that was actually gonna be one of my questions lol
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

My Sensitive Boy Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Sensitive Boy   My Sensitive Boy EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Sounds similar to my girl, Faith. I really hope the Perfect Form helps you. It has been a miracle worker for my two sensitives. And I also tried all the common tummy ailments, a ton of different foods, Metronidazole too, yet nothing worked. Fingers crossed for you. I know how hard it is to live with a dog with irritable bowel, I hope the samples help. Please do keep us updated on how it goes with the samples.

If that doesn't go over well then we can see about other options that might help. I'd definitely only try one new thing at a time so we'll just see how things go.

Senior
Senior
hypers987

My Sensitive Boy Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Sensitive Boy   My Sensitive Boy EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 10:39 pm

For sure! I'll definitely keep you posted. Thank you so much for your advice and support. makes all the difference Smile Keeping my fingers crossed lol
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

My Sensitive Boy Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Sensitive Boy   My Sensitive Boy EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 11:01 pm

hypers987 wrote:
He's been this way since I first got him at 5 weeks............

OUCH! OUCH!! OUCH!!! 5 weeks!!!! This is just my own bias opinion but here is a prime example of what can happen to youngsters when taken home before 8 or more weeks. There is more then just socialization but also the loss of nutrition and better health they acquire from the mother in those 3 extra weeks. Consider trying him on probiotics for a while they are a great digestive aid and they are cheap, available online or at your local drug store. You have a beautiful Husky and I wish you well.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

My Sensitive Boy Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Sensitive Boy   My Sensitive Boy EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 11:24 pm

Yea I rescued him from someone who had taken him from his mom and littermates at 4 weeks Evil or Very Mad BYB... And thank you for the well wish and advice!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

My Sensitive Boy Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Sensitive Boy   My Sensitive Boy EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 12:40 pm

Update: Have been trying out the samples of THK and he LOVES them, and zero loose stools since I've been incorporating it into his dry TOTW! I'm amazed! Since he has gobbled every flavor it was difficult to choose which formula to stick with so I decided on Zeal since it is for sensitive stomachs and that the extra fish oil will help with his dry brittle coat =D WOO!! *victory dace* lol Perfect Form really is a life saver!
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

My Sensitive Boy Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Sensitive Boy   My Sensitive Boy EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 1:10 pm

Yay Kale! Glad to hear he's doing better!

My Sensitive Boy Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

My Sensitive Boy Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Sensitive Boy   My Sensitive Boy EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 1:31 pm

Yay for Kale!
The cheapest place I've found Zeal is Chuck and Don's Pet Food Outlet (if you have that store near you), or Natural K9 Supplies (online)...and if you use BARK10 or catch the 15% off sale or order enough, shipping is cheap or free. Otherwise, check out wag.com and if you haven't use it yet, WAG20 will get you 20% off and they have free shipping (I think as long as your order is over $50, which THK will easily get you there.).

Huskyluv

My Sensitive Boy Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Sensitive Boy   My Sensitive Boy EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 8:05 pm

Yay! That's awesome news, Brooke! Here's hoping for continued success! Very Happy

My Sensitive Boy Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Sensitive Boy   My Sensitive Boy Empty

Back to top Go down

My Sensitive Boy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1