It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

I need help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

I need help! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 10:59 pm

Thanks Len! I'm going to have a lot of fun researching and trying new recipes. I even got Aaron to try Swiss Chard tonight (he didn't like it, but he at least tried it).

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

I need help! - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 11:35 pm

Cooking Light has excellent recipes also! And it'll have the calories, carb, protein etc. listed for each recipe.

Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 12:06 am

Nice! You guys are all awesome!

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 12:12 am

Not sure if you like Asian food at all, but a lot of Asian cuisine are pretty healthy...If you need some ideas, let me know....I used to be a personal chef, and one of my clients was following an Atkins diet and wanted low fat options too so I ended up doing quite a bit of Asian-flare foods.

Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 12:30 am

I LOVE Asian, and can generally get Aaron to eat it. One of my staples is stir fry, but I'm always up for trying new things. I'm finding now that I'm not running super insane schedules and deploying all the time that I really enjoy cooking and trying new things. Bring on the recipes!

Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 12:43 am

I'll start posting it in the recipe topic!

Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 12:46 am

Awesome!

Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 1:11 am

Ok, I just posted a couple of recipes for you.

Let me know if you want more Smile

Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 1:16 am

I just saw them and they look awesome, especially the 2nd one. I will definitely have to try that in the very near future Very Happy

I shot you a friend request on Facebook, but it wouldn't let me send a message with it to say it was me (I don't think my last name is actually anywhere on this forum). So if you see it and are like "who?", it's me.

Thanks again for the recipes!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 1:49 am

Under your pic-
Name: Meredith and Aaron
Owned By: Ghost
Female Posts: 176
Treats!: 1

Easy to stalk.. Cool
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 8:50 am

That's true... I was actually really hard to stalk for a while, and I'm still kind of in that mindset Razz

Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 10:00 am

blueeyedghost wrote:
I shot you a friend request on Facebook, but it wouldn't let me send a message with it to say it was me (I don't think my last name is actually anywhere on this forum). So if you see it and are like "who?", it's me.

Thanks again for the recipes!

I saw that request and said exactly that to myself! Razz
Friend added Smile

I made banana bread last night and made it with whole wheat flour, light sour cream and light butter....and then at the last minute I decided to chip up the last of a Swiss Chonoclate bar and throw it in there.

I must say, you can't really tell it's made with whole wheat flour!

Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 1:57 pm

I haven't made banana bread in a while. I am definitely having a craving after reading your post though Smile I've been using whole wheat flour for a couple years now, and I definitely agree you really can't tell the difference.

I have to say though, I am jealous of all you Colorado people. I miss Trader Joe's terribly! We didn't have it in Oklahoma either, but I spent so much time working in California it wasn't a big deal. My supply of 2 Buck Chuck and curry sauces are starting to run low!

Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 2:06 pm

If you use the whole wheat pastry flour, it'll make it a little more 'airy' or 'light'.

I use whole wheat pastry flour to make bread and it's wonderful!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 2:10 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:

I have to say though, I am jealous of all you Colorado people. I miss Trader Joe's terribly! We didn't have it in Oklahoma either, but I spent so much time working in California it wasn't a big deal. My supply of 2 Buck Chuck and curry sauces are starting to run low!

we dont have trader joes never been to one, we have sunflower market that is kind of like it. i love that place. i use HW pastry flour as well as stevia as my sugar sub. lindsay also had me pick up the splenda brown sugar. all my breads have been super healthy now Smile

Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 2:20 pm

jbealer wrote:
blueeyedghost wrote:

we dont have trader joes never been to one, we have sunflower market that is kind of like it. i love that place. i use HW pastry flour as well as stevia as my sugar sub. lindsay also had me pick up the splenda brown sugar. all my breads have been super healthy now Smile

Hmm, thought you guys had it there. If you ever find one they are pure awesomeness! We don't really have any sort of health food places here. This part of the Florida Panhandle just isn't that sophisticated. I did hear rumors about a small store in Downtown Pensacola, so I might have to go do a little exploring.

Jenn, I might have to switch over to the Stevia and Splenda as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 2:29 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
I haven't made banana bread in a while. I am definitely having a craving after reading your post though Smile I've been using whole wheat flour for a couple years now, and I definitely agree you really can't tell the difference.

I know what you mean. I have relatives in Cali but it's been a while since I visited and miss TJs. If it "ain't fried and comes with ranch" we don't get it here. The fair started today and the menu included things like deep fried chocolate bacon, deep fried turkey testicles, and deep fried cannelloni with bacon on a stick. Sigh!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 2:34 pm

Brian, I feel you. I just moved from Moore down here to Lower Alabama, I mean Pensacola. I spent the last 4 years stationed at Tinker. There is actually a place on the north side of Norman called Dodson's, and they are really good. It's across from Brookhaven on 36th.

Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 2:44 pm

We are also getting a Whole Foods grocery in NW OKC but I doubt I make that drive too often. I'll have to check out Dodson's though. I work south of the base and except for the heart hospital there is not even semi-healthy eating establishments.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 2:51 pm

Yeah, the only thing even remotely healthy near base is the Subway at Sooner and 59th. If you want unhealthy though, I HIGHLY recommend the Five Guys Burgers just west of Wal Mart on 19th Smile

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 3:19 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
Yeah, the only thing even remotely healthy near base is the Subway at Sooner and 59th. If you want unhealthy though, I HIGHLY recommend the Five Guys Burgers just west of Wal Mart on 19th Smile

FIVE GUYS IS THE BESTEST LIKE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 4:18 pm

MelissaI wrote:
FIVE GUYS IS THE BESTEST LIKE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it is! The one in Moore, OK opened about a month before I moved, so I only made it over there a couple of times. There's one in Pensacola (about 30 minutes away), but its off limits to people in my squadron right now because apparently they had a food poisoning outbreak there Sad

The other thing I miss and can't get around here is Jimmy John's subs. There was one around the corner from my church in Oklahoma so I went there every single Sunday.

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 4:25 pm

Don't hate me, but we have 3 five guys with the furthest being about 20min away. We also have a Jimmy Johns that's 3 blocks away from my job. Yummy, but so NOT good for the dieting..LOL
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 4:32 pm

You suck Razz

I guess the one good thing about there being few options around here is that it's much easier to diet and I'm having a lot of fun coming up with new recipes. Jimmy John's was founded in a town about 30 minutes from where I grew up, and their headquarters is in my home town. We went there almost every day for lunch in high school Cool

Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 8:52 pm

Sugar tip on bananananana bread, zucchini, pear or other similar breads, use half of the sugar that the recipe calls for you'll not miss a a thing except the added calories.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I need help!   I need help! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

I need help!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Diet, Exercise & Weight Loss-