It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

No More Escape

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Forrest
Newborn
Newborn
Forrest

Male Join date : 2011-09-07

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 3:47 pm

Please feel free to use this topic to post any escape (digging, jumping, climbing, chewing, etc.) deterrents that have worked for you. Here's mine. I know I'm not the only person to do this, but I haven't seen it mentioned on here anywhere... Electric fence. Not the shock collar+underground wire that costs a ridiculous sum of money. Just a single electric wire cattle fence. For about $100 I just put up a single electric wire around the bottom of my 6 ft wooden privacy fence. It sits 5 inches off the fence, about 4 inches off the ground. Jack has been digging, and has gotten out a couple times just to run around the neighborhood and come back to the porch because it's hot outside. I put up the wire and he has only touched it once. Now he stays about 1 foot away from the fence. If your sibe likes to jump or climb, you could put another wire around the top of the fence for about $15 more. Easy enough to buy at any ranch or farm supply store. If you have children, you have 2 options. Option A: they'll learn about the "hot" wire even faster than your sibe. You only touched the stove once, right? Or Option B: once your sibe learns about the wire once or twice, they'll stop testing it. You can turn it off and it will be safe, but your sibe will still avoid it like the plague. And they learn a lot faster than the underground wire fence. With that, they have to repeatedly run into each side before they learn their boundaries. With a cattle fence, they associate the shock with touching the fence or wire, and learn to stay away from every fence or wire they see from then on.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 3:56 pm

I never leave Kale unattended in the backyard so I don't really have to worry about escapes. He's never shown any interest in leaving the backyard anyway. He digs in the middle of the yard or in his pool and not near any fences. If I do ever leave him in the backyard alone (10 mins max) he's on a long tie-out in near the back door or in his kennel. He usually whines at the back door until I let him in haha Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 4:09 pm

Like Brooke, my deterrent is simply supervision. Doesn't cost me a penny either! Wink

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 4:10 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Like Brooke, my deterrent is simply supervision. Doesn't cost me a penny either! Wink

Same here!
Back to top Go down

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 4:12 pm

I'm just lucky and don't have dogs that want to escape the yard, lol. Neither of them dig and don't jump.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 4:18 pm

the only thing i have done is but a clip/lock on the gates on the fence to make sure they stay closed. after a wind storm the gate was blown open and Jack got out. thats the only issue we have had with the back yard. digging is done under the deck! and we have used the STAY command for the front door and it works 98% of the time, it fails when people are over and trying to leave and then most they do is follow them to the car!
but this is a good thread to start so thank you! i know a few with the electric fence and it works wonders!

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 5:39 pm

Delilah is such a baby. I always hear about huskies being horrible jumpers, Delilah won't leave the darn door. If she can't see me she screams bloody murder. Is this normal or is my dog just emotionally retarded haha
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 5:43 pm

sierra would follow me EVERYWHERE and sit by the door out side just waiting to come in. now iwith jack around she does not care where i am! Delilah might grow out of it...or you could get another!

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 5:46 pm

Well Jen(can I call you Jen?),

W are working on buying our FIRST home, and we took her to the house we are interested in yesterday. She did great in the yard and it's big enough for a boy husky to come join us...that's the goal anyway. We move in December 1 and I have a feeling it will take me less then a month to get a new addition to the family Smile
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 5:58 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Delilah is such a baby. I always hear about huskies being horrible jumpers, Delilah won't leave the darn door. If she can't see me she screams bloody murder. Is this normal or is my dog just emotionally retarded haha

Kale does this too! haha he hates being away from the rest of his pack lol Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 6:27 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Well Jen(can I call you Jen?),

you can call me Jenn Smile

and i think the addition of a boy might help your issue Smile it took us 7 months to add the huskies after moving, we had a lot of house work to do before it was safe for dogs!

Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 6:50 pm

Forrest wrote:
Please feel free to use this topic to post any escape (digging, jumping, climbing, chewing, etc.) deterrents that have worked for you. Here's mine. I know I'm not the only person to do this, but I haven't seen it mentioned on here anywhere... Electric fence. Not the shock collar+underground wire that costs a ridiculous sum of money. Just a single electric wire cattle fence. For about $100 I just put up a single electric wire around the bottom of my 6 ft wooden privacy fence. It sits 5 inches off the fence, about 4 inches off the ground. Jack has been digging, and has gotten out a couple times just to run around the neighborhood and come back to the porch because it's hot outside. I put up the wire and he has only touched it once. Now he stays about 1 foot away from the fence. If your sibe likes to jump or climb, you could put another wire around the top of the fence for about $15 more. Easy enough to buy at any ranch or farm supply store. If you have children, you have 2 options. Option A: they'll learn about the "hot" wire even faster than your sibe. You only touched the stove once, right? Or Option B: once your sibe learns about the wire once or twice, they'll stop testing it. You can turn it off and it will be safe, but your sibe will still avoid it like the plague. And they learn a lot faster than the underground wire fence. With that, they have to repeatedly run into each side before they learn their boundaries. With a cattle fence, they associate the shock with touching the fence or wire, and learn to stay away from every fence or wire they see from then on.

We have one too and it works. Got all the stuff we needed at the Hardware store and amazon.com (Parmak HS-100 controller wtih Zareba connecters, poly wire, etc). Chili has always been ok in the yard on his own (tall, solid fence; doggie door to warm, dry back porch; locked gates; retired neighbors; webcam) but the little one has isolation distress (vs. separation anxiety) and has tried to follow us over the fence. It's getting better each month, but for her safety - we got the fence. We both work full time and while we stagger our hours so they're not left too long - we'd rather the pups be able to relieve themselves outside instead of being in distress if we get stuck in traffic.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 6:58 pm

Well good news is, the house is in great dog condition...I think the previous owners had a dog...now if it's husky ready I'm not sure. Hahaha. My issue is that if I could I would save every husky. I can't say no. I love the little fluffy trouble makers
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 12:12 am

The dog run is 6'4" high, concrete floor and covered. The gate has a mechanism that slides down with a hole underneath to lock it. My last husky discovered that if he bit the carabiner I put in the hole, he could pull it out, flip up the lock and escape.

So now I've got a locking carabiner through the hole. I fully expect someday that Bodhi will figure out how to unscrew it using his tongue. They are so dammed smart.
Back to top Go down
henielsen
Teenager
Teenager
henielsen

Female Join date : 2011-07-17

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 12:19 am

Our Shania could unlock those type of carabiners. No More Escape 85993
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 1:21 am

We are really lucky, Ghost respects boundaries. The first few times we took him to the off-leash dog park I was worried because the fence is not very tall, but he didn't make any attempts to escape. He is also quite happy on his tie-up in the garden while we are busy doing yard work. Now if a door is accidentally left open, that's another matter ...
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Forrest
Newborn
Newborn
Forrest

Male Join date : 2011-09-07

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 3:30 pm

Well, I live by myself and don't have time to be home all day with him. I'm in the Air Force, and I often work 12-14 hour days, sometimes no weekends. And when I'm gone, Jack prefers to be outside in the 100 degree heat where he can chase squirrels, rather than inside with the conditioned air. His problem is that he digs (mostly in his pre-approved dig area). But sometimes he digs somewhere else, on the border of the fence. Not to get out, just digging to dig and to get cool. But it doesn't take long to figure out that he can see under the fence...
Back to top Go down
Lyzelle
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2011-05-17

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 4:38 pm

In my opinion, the best way to prevent escape is to never leave a Sibe unattended, train them for those "Oh, no" moments, and practice all around good Sibe ownership. Leaving a Sibe in a backyard is just asking for it, in my opinion. I refuse to let any of my fosters go to home where they won't be under supervision, restrained when unsupervised, or the backyard isn't properly fenced and reinforced. If they don't have the time or willpower to meet those expectations, you aren't getting my fosters. Simple as that.

Now, you always have Sibes that try to bend the rules of boundaries. Zander, for example. Zander loooooves opening doors. If he wants to go somewhere, he's going to. If he wants in the bedroom, and the door is shut, oh well! Best way to solve that is teach him to open the door on command, then reverse the training and keep a "No door" boundary in effect until you give him the OK. Worked like a charm. Proper training really goes a long way with standard restraining. And until they are properly trained, they go on leashes. No free roam, period. Indoor or outdoor, unless it is supervised play time that is also recall, sit, stay, wait practice time.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 12:50 pm

Lyzelle wrote:
In my opinion, the best way to prevent escape is to never leave a Sibe unattended, train them for those "Oh, no" moments, and practice all around good Sibe ownership. Leaving a Sibe in a backyard is just asking for it, in my opinion. I refuse to let any of my fosters go to home where they won't be under supervision, restrained when unsupervised, or the backyard isn't properly fenced and reinforced. If they don't have the time or willpower to meet those expectations, you aren't getting my fosters. Simple as that.

Now, you always have Sibes that try to bend the rules of boundaries. Zander, for example. Zander loooooves opening doors. If he wants to go somewhere, he's going to. If he wants in the bedroom, and the door is shut, oh well! Best way to solve that is teach him to open the door on command, then reverse the training and keep a "No door" boundary in effect until you give him the OK. Worked like a charm. Proper training really goes a long way with standard restraining. And until they are properly trained, they go on leashes. No free roam, period. Indoor or outdoor, unless it is supervised play time that is also recall, sit, stay, wait practice time.

As you state, that's "your" opinion and you are certainly entitled to it. For the appropriate dog, in the appropriate situation, in a fully fenced/reinforced yard, with adequate shelter - it's ok to leave a siberian in a yard. I hope that you look at the situation when you look at who gets your fosters and realize that it needs to be addressed on a case by case basis. There's too many homeless pets to be too rigid, as Claudia is finding out with her rescue work.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 12:51 pm

Forrest wrote:
Well, I live by myself and don't have time to be home all day with him. I'm in the Air Force, and I often work 12-14 hour days, sometimes no weekends. And when I'm gone, Jack prefers to be outside in the 100 degree heat where he can chase squirrels, rather than inside with the conditioned air. His problem is that he digs (mostly in his pre-approved dig area). But sometimes he digs somewhere else, on the border of the fence. Not to get out, just digging to dig and to get cool. But it doesn't take long to figure out that he can see under the fence...

Quikcrete trench under the fence will prevent digging. Top it with some dirt and grass seed, and no one will be the wiser.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 4:13 pm

I agree with Sam. I can leave Kale outside alone if necessary, but I still live with my parents and they like their yard hole free lol He has never shown any escape tendencies and I trust him, but I want an intact yard so I won't get yelled at haha Every Husky is different.

Just as an FYI Lyzelle, I contacted a German Shepherd rescue when we were looking for a German to adopt (my dad wanted a GSD lol) and we got DENIED because we didn't have a screen door on our front door... (kale has never escaped) Every dog and family is different. Personally, I think that you should get a feel for the family and how they interact with the dog instead of basing a placement on rules.
Back to top Go down

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 4:26 pm

Lyzelle wrote:

I've had my dog for 3 1/2 years and he has always had free access with a dog door to a yard and he has never even thought about running away(though not July '11 to Feb '12 since we needed to take an apartment quick when we moved here til we got to know good areas, but in February he will be right back to having free roam between the house and the backyard). I'm not asking for it, I know my dog and what I can trust him to do and not to do. Dogs are different, plenty of sibes you meet may be escape artists but there are plenty that aren't. My dog has no desire to jump fences or dig under them. My dog knows when I open the door or gate that a minute that he needs to just and wait for me to close it. It's not embedded in all sibes to be dogs that break out of their enclosed yards. I will always give my dogs a dog door to go in and out of the house as they please and no one can tell me it's wrong for MY dogs. Wink

And no, my dog is never offleash outside enclosed areas as he is very independent and would want to take a detour - though I am almost positive he would come back after his stroll.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 4:30 pm

Heatherlee wrote:
Lyzelle wrote:

I've had my dog for 3 1/2 years and he has always had free access with a dog door to a yard and he has never even thought about running away(though not July '11 to Feb '12 since we needed to take an apartment quick when we moved here til we got to know good areas, but in February he will be right back to having free roam between the house and the backyard). I'm not asking for it, I know my dog and what I can trust him to do and not to do. Dogs are different, plenty of sibes you meet may be escape artists but there are plenty that aren't. My dog has no desire to jump fences or dig under them. My dog knows when I open the door or gate that a minute that he needs to just and wait for me to close it. It's not embedded in all sibes to be dogs that break out of their enclosed yards. I will always give my dogs a dog door to go in and out of the house as they please and no one can tell me it's wrong for MY dogs. Wink

And no, my dog is never offleash outside enclosed areas as he is very independent and would want to take a detour - though I am almost positive he would come back after his stroll.

I wish I could put a dog door in for Kale, maybe When I finally have enough $$ to move out haha He would much rather lay in the middle of the yard to sunbathe than be cooped up in the house.
Back to top Go down

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 4:43 pm

Koda loves it. All he ever did was go outside and sniff the fresh air or roll onto his side and sunbathe/enjoy the cool air depending on the season. They are really common in AZ as most people have sliding doors and can just put one of the doors in where you shove it in, I've noticed sliding doors aren't common here in CO so I will probably have to do a cut out and install a door.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 4:59 pm

lol we have a cat door and when we are outside and he's in, he sticks his head out and woos at us haha

No More Escape 33593_10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

No More Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape Empty

Back to top Go down

No More Escape

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next