It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

No More Escape

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

No More Escape - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 5:04 pm

Lmao, he's probably like "WTF is this crap? The CATS get a door, but not I!?"
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 5:10 pm

He used to be able to fit through that door believe it or not! It was hilarious the day he couldn't, he was so confused and frustrated Laughing I wish that I filmed it! There's not a dull moment at any of our homes, I'm sure! Rolling Eyes I need to have a camera permanently attached to my hand lol
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Lyzelle
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2011-05-17

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 7:01 pm

While YOU all may practice some amount of responsibility with YOUR dogs, that's great, but the dogs I get attached to through rescue and foster don't stay with me. And getting emails and phone calls about how the dog was bitten by a snake, owners weren't home, and the dog died slowly and painfully....or the dog just randomly, for no reason what so ever, decided to dig under the fence and play with traffic....or the local animal control stole the dog out of the fence because they thought it was a "wollf hybrid" and put it down...so on, so on. I have dogs to protect. My rules aren't in place because good people do good things. I have my rules because unwise people ALWAYS end up doing bad things and making "mistakes".

I wasn't flaming anyone here, I was just saying I take all precautions...and for a very good reason.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 7:23 pm

I think we can all agree that dumb people make dumb decisions. But a person put through a rescue application as well as an interview (something I do with all MY fosters- and I wish all rescues would do as well) you can pretty much tell where their head is at. Personally I don't like doggy doors. Not for the dog digging out aspect but because people as a whole cannot be trusted and if I came home one day to a dead or missing dog (because of someone ELSE and their ill-intentions) I don't know what i'd do with myself.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 8:43 pm

My issue is your statement where you say "leaving a Sibe in a backyard is just asking for it." I'm not asking for shit. In AZ I had stucko walls that were 8ft tall, AKA my dog is not getting over it even if he was a jumper and no one is going to be able to see who or what is in my yard. When I get a house here, it will be a sturdy, tightly closed in wooden fence that goes deep under- if it isn't that quality of fence I will ask the landlords if I can rebuild the fence myself. My dog doesn't dig, my dog doesn't jump, as I'm sure several others do not. While I get there ARE some, you can't just sit here and say that anyone with a sibe is asking for a bad outcome who gives them the freedom to go out. And I don't practice "some responsibility," I make decisions 100% that are responsible for my dogs. We aren't talking about someone who has a 4ft chainlink fence in the situation I am talking.

And I'll say this again, I don't believe in rules and regulations applying to every dog and every owner, as stated when you meet someone and also get to know a dog's tendencies, that's when you take into account where that dog needs this rule applies or if this owner has enough sense to understand what is safe and OK and what is not.
Back to top Go down
Lyzelle
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 9:05 pm

Leaving ANY dog, alone, unattended, in a backyard is asking for it in my opinion. Just is. You don't have to agree with it, but I'm just a little too paranoid. I wouldn't leave a kid alone unattended either. But people do, and have no issues with it.

Different strokes for different folks.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 9:14 pm

I think that everyone here agrees that anyone can raise their own dog the way they wish. Bottom line. we all agree. However, this is about imposing your opinion on fosters and possible forever homes. Opinions become policy for rescues, without any good reason and without anyone voting on it. And that's just not fair.

Shit happens, but shit can also happen inside a home, with a crated dog. Your water main could burst and the house flood - and the dog could drown. We all take necessary precautions with our dogs, and we all live in different areas that may have less possibility of stuff happening (no snakes, etc). Comparing it to leaving a kid alone is taking a bit too far and actually offensive - those are 2 different things.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 9:18 pm

I had a full-time outdoor black Lab growing up and she did great outside. Leaving a dog outside isn't being abusive or neglectful and I don't think my family was "asking for it". Ellie lived to be 16. Like you said ...

Lyzelle wrote:
Different strokes for different folks.

No More Escape - Page 2 L10

Ellie 1994-2010

Back to top Go down
Lyzelle
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 9:39 pm

It isn't really an "opinion" for me. 90% of the fosters I home that end up dead in the first 5 years has to do with the owner leaving the dog alone and unattended in a free-roam space like a yard, a dog park, etc.. Snake bites, impaled with a stick, poisoned meat, stolen dogs, attacked, heat exposure, etc, etc. Of COURSE "shit happens". My job is to make sure the owners I adopt to do everything in their power to protect the dog I trust to them. Do I blame the family when their Sibe ate a toxic houseplant? Not really. Do I blame the owners that left their dog outside overnight to get bitten by a snake? Absolutely.

I'm not saying leaving a dog in a backyard is neglectful. Plenty of my adopters DO leave their dogs outside.....in protected dog runs. Exceptions to every rule.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 9:40 pm

Over this, I don't care if you believe dogs should be secured inside and that's what YOU prefer to do, but don't tell me I'm asking for something bad to happen to my dog because he's able to go in a yard when he wants to. That's bullshit and disrespecting my decisions as an owner, my dogs are treated better than most kids and I would NEVER put them in a situation I wasn't confident in. End of story, off your high horse on the subject and don't try to tell people their way of doing things is pretty much setting their dogs up to be in a unpleasant situation. Yes, different strokes, different folks... but respect which each individual does and don't say they are making a situation that is "asking for it." I guarantee you my dogs are handled with the utmost care and ensured that they are in a safe and secure environment.

I'm not "leaving" my dog out. He can go in whenever he wants. We didn't and don't live in an area with poisonous frogs making an appearance nor snakes. Nothing is in the yard to where he could get hurt. He goes outside to piss or lay on his side. Don't know what the dogs you see do, mine doesn't cause trouble. I worked with rescues in AZ for nearly 5 years and pretty much every dog adopted out was in a home with a dog door allowing free access to a yard. And yes, it IS just your opinion. Nothing more. Just like pretty much the majority of the info on this site is. As I said, that's absolutely FINE if that's your method but for those of us that do otherwise, kindly stop trying to tell me that mine isn't right for me or the others it has worked for and pointing out YOUR beliefs on why it's wrong when that's not what I'm asking. I'm asking you to not generalize dogs and owners and realize it may not work for you, but it does for me, and I don't need anyone telling me what I'm doing is wrong. I'll give you a call in 1.5 years letting you know he's still alive.

Last edited by Heatherlee on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 9:46 pm

Personally I think leaving a dog outside in an enclosed pen/kennel is terrible. I would never prefer that to a doggy door. I don't understand that logic... Can you elaborate on why you prefer that or would home a dog to a family who wants to incorporate something like that?

Back to top Go down
Lyzelle
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 9:53 pm

I don't see anything wrong with confining an unattended dog when you are going to be away for an extended amount of time. Pretty simple. I definitely don't prefer a pup to roam wherever it wants, whenever it wants when the owner is away. "Outside" or "inside" doesn't matter if both shelters are plenty adequate.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 9:55 pm

Lyzelle wrote:
o I blame the family when their Sibe ate a toxic houseplant? Not really. Do I blame the owners that left their dog outside overnight to get bitten by a snake? Absolutely.

Then you need to reevaluate - because the house plant is under their control. And we didn't say we leave our dogs outside overnight.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 9:56 pm

I don't see why said people cannot contain the dog in a kennel in the house. I think you're still exposing the dogs to significant danger by placing them in an outdoor kennel. So they're somewhat incapable of escaping- but that doesn't lessen the dangers of anything else you listed such as snakes, poisoned food, or someone stealing the dog. Not to mention the dog is incapable of escaping the elements.

Back to top Go down
Lyzelle
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 10:00 pm

It does, actually. These kennels house many, many working dogs individually. The ground is cemented 5ft down. You need STEPS to get on the platform. The fence is reinforced chain-link, 12 feet high. The cement bottom is covered in a thick layer of padding. The inside of the run is AC/Heat, the outside is sheltered overhead.

Perhaps you have a different definition of a "dog run".
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 10:00 pm

Doggie door to inside porch. 6 ft fence with lock. No snakes. Dog can go pee when he wants.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 10:04 pm

Lyzelle wrote:
Do I blame the family when their Sibe ate a toxic houseplant? Not really. Do I blame the owners that left their dog outside overnight to get bitten by a snake? Absolutely. .

scratch wouldn't the family be at fault for having a toxic plant in the house? That was one of the first quiz questions by the GSD rescue. "what plants are poisonous to dogs?" And some of us don't have native snakes where we live... cuz I don't! lol Lots of stray cats... but I don't think they're gonna hurt my dog.

Back to top Go down
Lyzelle
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 10:07 pm

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
And we didn't say we leave our dogs outside overnight.

And, as I've said, over and over and over - oh, forget it. One more time won't hurt.

I wasn't aiming this at any of the people here. I never said that doing anything else was neglectful. I said it was "asking for it", which is hardly offensive. It's saying "whatever CAN happen, WILL happen". I wasn't attacking anyone here, either, although plenty of people have all their feathers in a bunch throwing it around like I beseeched them.

And as far as the toxic plant, honestly, I didn't know Peace Lily was toxic to dogs a few years ago. Let alone the fact that this plant was 6ft over the dogs' head....who knew the cat could get up there and knock it down? Terrible accident, but not really the owner's fault.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 10:09 pm

Lyzelle wrote:
It does, actually. These kennels house many, many working dogs individually. The ground is cemented 5ft down. You need STEPS to get on the platform. The fence is reinforced chain-link, 12 feet high. The cement bottom is covered in a thick layer of padding. The inside of the run is AC/Heat, the outside is sheltered overhead.

Yes, I do. Because in the average "pet home" (which I was under the impression we were talking about..) has this as a dog run:

No More Escape - Page 2 Outdoor_dog_run

So- excuse my ignorance...

Back to top Go down
Lyzelle
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 10:11 pm

arooroomom wrote:
So- excuse my ignorance...

If that is a jab, you can keep it. I wasn't beseeching you, either.

I'm just going to stop posting here. This is ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 10:12 pm

Lyzelle wrote:

Some of us don't have the funds for something this...elaborate lol

and yes terming it "asking for it" is a tad offensive, at least to me it was. (and I RARELY leave Kale outside alone.) You have every right to your opinion and everyone here respects that, but don't put others down for what they believe in the process.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 10:14 pm

It wasn't but your post came off a little condescending as if i'm unintelligent for not knowing just what kind of dog run you were referring...

There is nothing wrong with having differing opinions, Liz.

Back to top Go down
Lyzelle
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 10:16 pm

Quote :
but don't put others down for what they believe in the process

Apparently EVERYONE here thinks I'm a "little condescending" because EVERYONE is taking it very personally.

No More Escape - Page 2 1625187496

I give up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 10:29 pm

Do you not understand what you said? If I came up to you and told you you were asking for your pet to be hurt, how would you take it? Yes. It IS offensive and I am taking it VERY personal for anyone to ever tell me I am asking for my dog to be hurt and that I'd be willing to let me dog get hurt. And you're pretty much saying, "well you're dogs are going to get hurt or die and it's basically your fault".. how is that NOT offensive? I said I have a dog door and all is well in my domain and you start telling me how dogs die from this and that and that I am asking for it. You were responding to what I do with MY dogs, so yes, you were aiming towards me and I don't let anyone tell me I would hurt my dogs. My husband even said if someone told him that he'd wring their neck to say he'd want to hurt his dogs. We can't have kids. These are our children. I would never do anything that wasn't safe for them (as individual dogs- obviously a dog that tries to jump over fences or dig under fencing for those who dont have fences that go deep down).
I respect your beliefs on what should be done with dogs while no one is home to supervise, but I DO NOT respect how you are saying my dog is being set up to be hurt.

Copy and pasting from a friend from an old forum whom I've been speaking to this about: A dog can die from anything, at least you are doing something that will up their quality of life while they are around. Do people seriously think dogs have not died struggling to get free from their crate or from ingesting something while they were "safe" inside the home? There is no where that is 100% safe.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 11:56 pm

Heatherlee wrote:
Do people seriously think dogs have not died struggling to get free from their crate or from ingesting something while they were "safe" inside the home? There is no where that is 100% safe.

While I'm honestly not a fan of leaving my dogs unattended outside (mainly because I don't feel my yard is secure), I totally agree with that statement Heather. When I tell you that I'm after Kody every 10 seconds that he's un-crated to make sure that he doesn't eat something that can hurt him...I'm not even kidding. Yet, he got a hold of TWO socks and was vomiting for hours when he was about 5 months. When we were about to rush him to the ER he threw up the socks and was fine (thank god). So, yes, nothing is EVERY 100% secure. I'm constantly on top of him and unfortunately he still got into something that could have been...well...NOT GOOD! Shit does happen no matter how cautious you are. For goodness sake I can't even sit down to watch a 30min TV show without watching out for him...so yeah, I'm extremely paranoid, but I had to go through the whole sock deal...scariest thing ever!

I know that Heather, Kristina, Hollywood (oopppssss forgot your name again...i'm horrible...i know..lol) are awesome doggie moms and would NEVER do anything to put their dogs in a bad situation. If you know your dog and you know what he/she is capable of then that's all that matters.

I, personally, would NOT leave my dogs unattended until the day we move and have a 10000000% sure yard....and still maybe not more than 15min..lol. I'm just a freak like that...ask the hubby...lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No More Escape   No More Escape - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

No More Escape

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next