It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Very Jealous young lady!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
afithian
Newborn
Newborn
afithian

Female Join date : 2009-07-17

Very Jealous young lady! Empty
PostSubject: Very Jealous young lady!   Very Jealous young lady! EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 11:42 am

Hello again, I have a question and wonder if anyone can give some advice.

My huskey Braylee (1 1/2 yrs) is my shadow. Whenever I'm around she follows me everywhere. My issue is we now have a 4 month old german shepard puppy (duke) that we have had for about 2 months now. Braylee and Duke play and jump over each other all the time, until I'm around. If I pet duke, and Braylee sees once I stop petting him, Braylee almost like attacks him. She will mouth him around his neck and push him down, which proceeds to biting each other and sitting on each other. I have resorted to not petting Duke when she is around as a way to prevent her bad case of jealousy. i didn't know if someone could give any advice or have heard of this type of behavor before. Please let me know. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Very Jealous young lady!   Very Jealous young lady! EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 1:45 pm

Unfortunately I do not have any advice as I only have one dog Sad But be rest assured that someone with multiples will be able to offer some advice! Smile

Very Jealous young lady! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Very Jealous young lady!   Very Jealous young lady! EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 2:46 pm

Well I don't know how much help I can be but Sierra followed me everywhere before we got Jack! there is a big age difference between my two but they both want to be the center of attention and there is always fun husky play involved when one is getting more love then the other and it does not happen all the time but I then just try to pet them both or mess around with them both when the playing happens I would not call it fighting. Your girl is just showing husky behaviors and your new little boy might be too young so she thinks she can get away with it till he gets bigger. Maybe if you are going to pet Duke call Braylee over and have a group petting session. She might be jealous of the new puppy and wants some love to and im sure you are giving it to her just maybe do it at the same time? I don't know if this will help.
Back to top Go down
Jen
Puppy
Puppy
Jen

Female Join date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Very Jealous young lady!   Very Jealous young lady! EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 5:35 pm

My two used to do that. When I am petting or cuddling with Kiwi and Sirmiq comes up and I ignore him. If he becomes forceful I tell him out. I do the same thing to Kiwi if I am petting Sirmiq. The dogs will learn quickly that they both get attention but they are not allowed to interfere when I am giving the other attention.

Being the pack leader will also help. Dogs don't demand attention from the pack leader, and that is what your pup is doing. Dealing with other issues with Sirmiq, mainly his guarding, I have worked on reestablishing myself as the leader, and other issues, like this one have disappeared. If I am petting Kiwi, he will sometimes come over, but he will maintain the 5 foot radius until I invite him over to me.

Also, make an effort to spend some one on one time with each dog every day. When I first got my 2 I would walk them separately, due to the fact that they were both bad on the leash. I think the one on one time really helped me to bond separately with each dog.
Back to top Go down
afithian
Newborn
Newborn
afithian

Female Join date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Very Jealous young lady!   Very Jealous young lady! EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 9:11 am

I will try to give them each more one on one time and see if that helps, and the petting. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
sunshinehuskies
Teenager
Teenager
sunshinehuskies

Female Join date : 2009-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Very Jealous young lady!   Very Jealous young lady! EmptyMon Sep 07, 2009 1:25 am

My seven month old, Takoda has a guarding issue with me as well. He is basically my shadow and follows me EVERYWHERE in the house. He does not get jealous if I pet the other kids, but he will stay by my side. He can be dead ass to the world, and if I get up to get something to drink, he by my side. He even guards the bathroom when I am in the shower. He sleeps on the rug, no matter how hot the bathroom gets...and I take HOT showers.

I guess he is a momma's boy. I think it is because my husband has been working out of town since he was about four months old so Takoda has primarily bonded with me.

Anyone what to add there thoughts to this?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sunshinehuskies
Jen
Puppy
Puppy
Jen

Female Join date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Very Jealous young lady!   Very Jealous young lady! EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 3:37 am

sunshinehuskies wrote:
My seven month old, Takoda has a guarding issue with me as well. He is basically my shadow and follows me EVERYWHERE in the house. He does not get jealous if I pet the other kids, but he will stay by my side. He can be dead ass to the world, and if I get up to get something to drink, he by my side. He even guards the bathroom when I am in the shower. He sleeps on the rug, no matter how hot the bathroom gets...and I take HOT showers.

I guess he is a momma's boy. I think it is because my husband has been working out of town since he was about four months old so Takoda has primarily bonded with me.

Anyone what to add there thoughts to this?

Is there any really bad seperation anxiety when you leave? SInce you say he doesn't care if you pet the others, if when you leave he isn't freaking out, I don't know if I would be concerned. He is only 7 mo. When we first got Sirmiq he was really clingy with me. Even if my boyfriend was in the room and I left he would freak out. About the year mark Sirmiq started to become a lot more independant, but sometimes when I leave the room and I don't allow him to follow, he is not happy. Although he is a lot better, and will only follow me around if he thinks I am going to be gone long. Like he won't always try to follow me if I am just going to the bathroom. But if I go into the bed room he does try.

Did he do this before your husband started working out of town? I have a feeling it is probably just an age thing and the fact your husband is all of a sudden gone. I would suggest not coddling him when he is acting like you shadow, but I suspect he will grow out of it. Although others might have other thoughts.
Back to top Go down
sunshinehuskies
Teenager
Teenager
sunshinehuskies

Female Join date : 2009-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Very Jealous young lady!   Very Jealous young lady! EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 10:09 pm

I would say he does not have seperation anxiety when I leave, but he gets mad as hell because he is in his kennel. When he follows me, I just tend to ignore him. I do not make a fuss if he follows me to the fridge or anything like that. I just make sure i don't hit him with a door or something.

Looking back I think it really all started when my husband left. None of the others ever did this when they where pups.

Thanks for your input. sunny
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sunshinehuskies
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Very Jealous young lady!   Very Jealous young lady! Empty

Back to top Go down

Very Jealous young lady!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1