It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  Empty
PostSubject: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 8:52 pm

First off let me say that I love my baby very much and wouldn't trade her for the world. She's super spoiled a total princess, BUT I'M SO SICK AND TIRED OF HER DAMN ATTITUDE!

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood, but I almost lost it on her just now. Reasons she pissed me off this evening:

- While on their walk there was a guy walking his 2 dogs (we've seen him before) and Mya doesn't like one of his dogs like at all. She was pulling and barking and going insane. For the first time I wasn't too sure that I could contain them both! I told them to sit and wait...normally this works, but the guy was just standing there frozen and not walking. I told him to walk and nothing. So I had to walk. Those were the hardest 2min of a walk like ever!

- We get home, I feed them, and take them out in the yard for more play time. Neither of them are playing...they're just fixated on eating grass so I start trying to get them come in (none are listening). I go up to Kody and yell at him "inside now!" and he runs inside. Then goes Mya's turn. I go up to her and nudge her gently with my knee and say "go inside". Nothing. I do it again and place my foot where she was getting the grass from when she proceeds to attack my sneaker. She wasn't biting it, it was more growls and barking, but if I would have been wearing flip flops she might have hurt me. I GOT SO PISSED! I come inside and grab her retractable lead to drag her a$$ inside and she doesn't let me touch her collar. I'm LIKE WHAT? She's never really done that. I locked the lead with enough slack that I could loop it under her neck and bring her in that way. That worked and she started walking right home. I get to the back door and have her sit. Took a few seconds, but she did.

-THEN Kody's at the door so I tell him to back up because I could tell he was about to pounce her to play. When i let her go, he does of course, and she snaps at him. That was the last straw! I yelled at her to go to her corner (under the table) which she did, but when I told her to sit it was like talking to the wall and she would occasionally bare some teeth. Finally she sat and I made her stay there for a while by blocking her from getting up.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I'm livid with her right now!!!!!

Now, I admit that I don't have the best control over Mya and she needs work, but this is TOO MUCH! We need to get her some training, but we can't afford it right now. Maybe in the next few months we can. Kristina (arooroomom) suggested a place close to her so I need to call them.

I see Kody and how he listens (or doesn't get mean about it) and I get even more upset.

I love my baby, I really do, and right now I'm feeling so guilty for yelling at her and telling her she's a bad girl. I'm making her sound like an awful dog. She's really not, she's sweet, she cuddles, she sits and waits before her food, she sits before going outside, etc. It's just her damn attitude!!

Sorry this is so long, I'm totally venting! Ok, wine, I need some wine..lol
Back to top Go down
KaylaNL
Puppy
Puppy
KaylaNL

Female Join date : 2011-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 9:00 pm

Hahaha, sorry for laughing, but this entire story sounds all too much like me. Blitz gets that same attitude sometimes. With my husband he will just step towards him and go "QUIT NOW" and Blitz is compliant and on his best behavior in a second, with me he'll have his moments when he will growl, sit and not move, and when I go to grab his collar he'll growl, bare his teeth, and hunch down. I've never had him attack my shoe or anything like that though. We trained him with an e-collar earlier this year and so when he does this I go grab the remote and say "INSIDE" and as soon as he sees that he still has his ass hole attitude, but he will listen. (FYI: with him he never wears the e-collar collar anymore, he just sees the remote and will listen)

Ahhh wine, it makes everything better. Times like those I want to just sit down and have it too. The days when he is super cuddly and obedient make those asshole days completely worth it though. I love you
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 9:21 pm

Ours is Mika....as the temps drop her attitude gets worse about coming inside. There are times she'll come running when called, but I have done the whole nudge with the knee thing, too, with no result. She'll make noise at me, but never attacks my foot. I go get the leash, and she doesn't fight it. She'll be all compliant then. And I'll feel like the veriest idiot, raising my voice to a sledhead......this after trying the sweet-talk. Other times, all it takes is a few minutes of belly-rubbing, and she's ready to go in. Maybe a ploy for one-on-one time? (We have 3 Huskies & a mutt, so alone time is sometimes scarce..
If we let them get away with anything, they push for more! Little stinkers, they are!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 10:26 pm

Melissa, it sounds like it's Mya's time of the month!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 11:28 pm

KaylaNL wrote:

Ahhh wine, it makes everything better. Times like those I want to just sit down and have it too. The days when he is super cuddly and obedient make those asshole days completely worth it though. I love you

Yep, it totally does. On my 3rd cup..lol. When I get those kisses in the morning it erases everything mean she does!

Mindy, yes girl, she's totally PMSing today! Now she's passed out on the couch looking like an angel. These huskies I tell ya! I bet if I go wake her up she's get pissy again though..lol
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 1:10 am

amykmac wrote:
Ours is Mika....as the temps drop her attitude gets worse about coming inside. There are times she'll come running when called, but I have done the whole nudge with the knee thing, too, with no result. She'll make noise at me, but never attacks my foot. I go get the leash, and she doesn't fight it. She'll be all compliant then. And I'll feel like the veriest idiot, raising my voice to a sledhead......this after trying the sweet-talk. Other times, all it takes is a few minutes of belly-rubbing, and she's ready to go in. Maybe a ploy for one-on-one time? (We have 3 Huskies & a mutt, so alone time is sometimes scarce..
If we let them get away with anything, they push for more! Little stinkers, they are!

Sorry Amy, I missed your post somehow. Haha, I do the sweet talk first and then the yelling and they look at you like "yeah, what's your point?" Rolling Eyes They're definitely little stinkers too!!! LOL!!!!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 6:26 am

aww pissy Mya, hopefully you can get her assessed and get her on the right track lol.

She really reminds me of my friends husky Sakari, she's exactly a year younger then Embry, and they have the same mom- she's a total brat! She comes over every Thursday for a puppy play date and she's insane! She's 35lbs of complete madness! She guards my couches and people, and tries attacking my poor Zoe Sad when they're outside, or in the kennel room, they're all fine and playing like normal dogs! But Sakari's just weird around people and objects-even though she's not food aggressive??? So weird! And she no manners at all! She was jumping over my couches and onto my tables LOL Shocked
Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 12:00 pm

Melissa,
Maybe it would help to up her exercise. Put her on the Walky Dog and run her bootie off. Also, bring Kody in and leave her outside for longer. Braiden LOVES being outside but if I bring in Skyla and wait on him eventually Mr, Nosy Pants can't stand it and he's whining at the gate. Also maybe restrict her yard time as in NO yard time for a week to break the cycle of refusing to come in. Does she like to retrieve a ball? Braiden loves to retrieve and that will wear him out quickly and he will leave the yard easier. All else fails maybe you and Myla can share a glass of wine!!! (Just kidding)
Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 12:03 pm

Sorry...I know it's Mya NOT Myla. Trying to hurry to bring Skyla on her walk. LOL
Back to top Go down
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

Female Join date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 12:51 pm

lol! I was totally thinking the same thing, Mindy! I feel your pain, Melissa. Some days I just want to throttle Sky. Especially with the weather cooling down, she's been SO hyper! One walk will be fantastic and the next she'll be lunging around and choking herself the whole time. The other night she ran around behind me to go after a loose neighborhood chihuahua and nearly pulled my arm out of the socket!

On the training note, have you checked meetup.com for your area? You can never tell what sort of meetup groups you'll find. There's one here that has all sorts of dog get togethers, including basic training and agility. I'm hoping to take Sky after a little more training at home.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 2:13 pm

I had never heard of meetup.com! I googled and of course, nothing around me. I hate Illinois.
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 2:24 pm

Melissa, before you consider getting a trainer for her there is one thing you need to train yourself. Don´t feel sorry or guilty for such things, if you do the dog fells that and knows that you ar enot serious about it.

If her behaviour lasts for a few days longer I would take her to the vet, if everything is ok, she is teting her limits again. Anubis does this aswell form time to time, I guess there are alotof Huskies tht do so, if this is the case there has to be a big bang, no violence of course, but something that reminds her of who is in charge.
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 3:18 pm

I Feel SO Bad 4 u ! .. Mira Used to Be my Problem Child ... I Bitched Her Out Sooo Bad The Last Time SHe ran Off .. I Told Her i DIDNt LOve Her No More .. Stuck Her in Kennel & Loved On Icon for a Day Or So .... This was in August ... SHE IS AN ANGEL NOW ! She Never Runs Off She Calmed Down ALOT And She is a Very Good Girl !Hugs Hope it gets Better
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 3:59 pm

26nikita wrote:
I had never heard of meetup.com! I googled and of course, nothing around me. I hate Illinois.

There are FAR worse places than Central IL, trust me, I've lived or worked in them Razz I really do miss Urbana, actually.

I'll have to check meetup.com and see if there's anything around here. If not, I'm just going to start one...

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 4:18 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm much calmer about it today and she's being a good girl.

Beck, she gets her share of exercise. 20min walk in the morning, play time when I get home from work, followed by a 45-1hr walk/jog, and then more play time. I walky dog them each once in a while also. You're right about her enjoying being outside, she loves it! Thing is that I can't leave her outside unattended because our front gate is about 4ft tall and not too secure in my opinion. Hopefully, once we move or buy a house we'll ahve a fully secure yard for her to hang out. I also thought about getting her a tie out so that she could just hang out for a while. Another issue with leaving her outside is that she eats grass a lot and that can't be good for her. Kody does it also...they're crazy! She would love some of the wine...hahahaaa!!! She's always trying to get in my cup..lol. Thanks for your suggestions Smile

Miranda, thanks. I'll check out the website the minute I'm done replying to this thread.

Dennis, ugh, I know I need to stop feeling guilty and ignore her for a few hours or even a day and she'll get the point. It's so hard though...that's my princess...lol. She normally has a bitchy attitude so I don't think a trip to the vet is needed. She's just a pain in the a$$ sometimes! Women, huh? lol
Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:24 pm

Melissa,
I know you are great with exercise....Just thought maybe a faster pace would help. Huskies can be a challenge at times. Every one of us has experienced some crap from our dogs at one time or another.
And now for my "true confession" About six months ago I walked past Braiden as he was chewing on a new antler. He gives this low growl and sort of lunged toward me. I was really surprised (and PO'd) and picked up an empty plastic container we use to take dog food on camping trips and clocked him right on the butt with it. It scared him so much he jumped up and released his anal glands all over the floor and ran and tried to hide in the corner. I felt HORRIBLE!! I don't believe in hitting dogs and would be so mad in anyone ever did what I did. The pleasant aftermath is he has never growled ever again and when he sees me coming and he has a toy or bone he gets up and leaves it. I don't recommend this to anyone and if I had not reacted so quickly I would have never done it. The point of the story is to let you know that it is so normal to feel frustrated with our dogs' behavior at times. The good times outweigh the bad thank goodness.Good luck with Mya when she is being a Crabby Patty. Trainers can be expensive. Maybe you can get great recommendations from people on this forum about good books to read until you can get a trainer.

Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:31 pm

Actually Whole Dog Journal frequently has good articles on modifying dog behavior. If you don't have it you might want to suscribe.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:46 pm

beck3465 wrote:
Melissa,
I know you are great with exercise....Just thought maybe a faster pace would help. Huskies can be a challenge at times. Every one of us has experienced some crap from our dogs at one time or another.
And now for my "true confession" About six months ago I walked past Braiden as he was chewing on a new antler. He gives this low growl and sort of lunged toward me. I was really surprised (and PO'd) and picked up an empty plastic container we use to take dog food on camping trips and clocked him right on the butt with it. It scared him so much he jumped up and released his anal glands all over the floor and ran and tried to hide in the corner. I felt HORRIBLE!! I don't believe in hitting dogs and would be so mad in anyone ever did what I did. The pleasant aftermath is he has never growled ever again and when he sees me coming and he has a toy or bone he gets up and leaves it. I don't recommend this to anyone and if I had not reacted so quickly I would have never done it. The point of the story is to let you know that it is so normal to feel frustrated with our dogs' behavior at times. The good times outweigh the bad thank goodness.Good luck with Mya when she is being a Crabby Patty. Trainers can be expensive. Maybe you can get great recommendations from people on this forum about good books to read until you can get a trainer.

I've thumped Kale on the rump too, don't feel too bad Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:58 pm

26nikita wrote:

I agree, IL sucks. And I though WI was boring.....

I really like Whole Dog Journal. If you go to their website you can get some articles for free.
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 8:05 pm

Of course it is hard, but put yourself in her position, would you accept someone as the leader if th eperson is not sure about wha tis right or wrong?

Yeah I guess in some cases women are all the same human or animal makes no difference Very Happy

It is completely normal that dogs eat gras, mostly they do it to clean their stomachs, but often they eat it just because they like it. Don´t worry about it ther eis nothing bad about it.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 8:20 pm

Thanks Beck, I'm going to look into whole dog journal for some tips! Don't feel bad about smacking Braiden on the butt. Honestly, I've done it to them both once or twice. Just like you, I wasn't thinking about the moment. They got over it though. These huskies, they keep you on your toes!

I checked out meetup.com and the only meet ups that come are ones that I already know of..lol. I thinking about going to the "Pack Walk in the Park" with Mya next Saturday. It might be good for her to interact with other dogs, but while being leashed and not in dog park scenario.

Dennis, but dude, they eat it A LOT! They even pull up the roots and eat that Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 7:52 am

Ok that sounds a bit crazy lol, but sitll I wouldn´t worry about this too much,
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  85993 Almost kicked her a$$ again tonight! Not going to get into a long explanation like I did on my original thread since I don't want to bore you guys and I tend to give too many details.

So, question, how would you correct a dog that you can't grab by the collar and put in time out? I can't grab her by the collar (or even clip the leash) and drag her into time out or she'll snap when she's having one of her mood swing attacks. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MYA! Just now I corrected her by giving a few firm "bad girl" and ignored her for a while. Gave her a very serious look when I would walk by her and made Kody leave her alone and not initiate play. That's not much of a correction though!

Last edited by MelissaI on Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 9:21 pm

I wish I knew how to help you Melissa but I would be just as lost as you.
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 9:56 pm

Oh Mya.
Personally, I would keep the leash on her in the house under your supervision with the pinch collar on to use for corrections. Probably not the most popular method, but growling and snapping is NOT acceptable and requires immediate intervention before it escalates.
If you are having trouble getting to her, then I would keep the leash on whether she is behaving or not. I think she will catch on real quick that you mean business. But the key is to not give any corrections out of anger. Remain as calm as possible no matter how much she is pissing you off. They really do know when they are pushing the right buttons Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next