It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

3.5 yo growling and snapping

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
acc127
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2011-09-27

3.5 yo growling and snapping Empty
PostSubject: 3.5 yo growling and snapping   3.5 yo growling and snapping EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 3:28 pm

ok so here's the story. I picked him up from the local shelter a little over 2 months ago. He was completely shaven and had burn marks on his stomach and along his shoulder blades. He also had trouble walking down stairs, which i interpreted to mean he had bad hips from being caged or kept in a small space for an extremely long time. But he was microchipped and neutured, so idk what happened. I wasn't given any information whatsoever about his life before i got him. But when i first got him he was already house trained, never barked or showed any emotion. he also didn't eat for the first 4 days, and wouldn't take treats either. And wouldn't hang out with me and my roomates in the living room unless forced to, only slept in my room all day. Gradually, he started wanting more human interaction and energy, but also acquired an attitude in the process. Now he absolutely loves being around people and is perfect when i am around, but as soon as i leave he will get into as much mischief as he possibly can. And almost anytime someone besides me pets him he starts growling, but he's wagging his tail while growling. but someitmes, with certain people he growls in a definite aggressive way and acts like he's about to attack them. He has never bitten anyone but he does snap on occasion.

My question is, considering his past, i don't know what is causing him to act like this and what i am supposed to do to stop it. one time when he got out and i chased him for half an hour, i yelled at him and pushed his head to the ground after i finally caught him. but when i let him up he just smiled at and wagged his tail. he does run up stairs when he gets into the garbage and i yell at him. so he knows that is wrong.

If anyone has any opinions on the matter i would really appreciate it. [img]3.5 yo growling and snapping Photo_13[/img]
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: 3.5 yo growling and snapping   3.5 yo growling and snapping EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 7:15 pm

Have you done any training with him at all? I would look into NILF and begin working through that and encourage all to do the same. Personally I would suggest no one touch him or even acknowledge that he's there until his behavior is under control. Are they petting him in the same areas that you are? Perhaps it would be best for you to work with him with others while you are around rewarding good behavior around friends and having them run a few drills with him. Sounds like a bossy Siberian to me!

Perhaps like this?

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
acc127
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: 3.5 yo growling and snapping   3.5 yo growling and snapping EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 8:19 pm

i've tried to train him with treats but he only listens when i have the treat in my hand. and i've also disciplined him rolling him on his back on the ground and yelling at him but he just gets up and wants to play. he is great with me and would never nip at me but wehn some people pet him he growls. he doesn't nip or anything but just growls louder the more they pet him. and with other dogs it's almost like he wants to play but doesn't know how. if i let them go he will eventually try to fight the other dog. we also have an 12 week old pit bull in the house and he growls at her when she tries to play with him but will protect her from other dogs and guides her around the house to keep her from places she's not supposed to be. he's a mystery lol. he's also really bad with small children. he HATES them.
Back to top Go down
acc127
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: 3.5 yo growling and snapping   3.5 yo growling and snapping EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 8:20 pm

and he's not as bad as the dog in the video at all. he just lays around the house and will never jump on people, just go up to them and growl in an attempt to get them to pet him.
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: 3.5 yo growling and snapping   3.5 yo growling and snapping EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 8:58 pm

How many roommates do you have? Do you all live in an apartment, a house? Do you have a yard he can run in without escaping?

I feel bad for him...he sounds like he had a very rough life.

I hope the rescue/shelter let you adopt him with high hopes. If I were you, I would get him into some training classes with you. Have you read about Siberian Huskies? They take a lot of work and require a lot of exercise. Maybe that's what he needs.
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
acc127
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: 3.5 yo growling and snapping   3.5 yo growling and snapping EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 9:14 pm

I have 2 roomates and we live in a 3 bedroom 2 story house with a backyard and koda has a 30 foot leash in the backyard. when i adopted him the shelter literally told me nothing about him. i have read a lot about siberian huskies and i walk him everyday at least 1 1/2 miles. he is a great dog, he just has a temper.
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: 3.5 yo growling and snapping   3.5 yo growling and snapping EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 9:23 pm

There is a difference in that type of agression AMD mouthing that deisel had, and playing. If I knew how to post a video, I'd let you see what Neo does. That way you could compare the two, AMD figure out how to fix it from there.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: 3.5 yo growling and snapping   3.5 yo growling and snapping EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 9:54 pm

i<3neo wrote:
There is a difference in that type of agression AMD mouthing that deisel had, and playing. If I knew how to post a video, I'd let you see what Neo does. That way you could compare the two, AMD figure out how to fix it from there.
Hit the Reply button in the thread. It'll take you to a new window with a larger reply field (the quick reply doesn't have the video button). There's a button (like posting an image) with a film strip on it that looks like this 3.5 yo growling and snapping Film10. Paste the link to the video (normally youtube URL) in there and hit enter.

I second the suggestion to have everyone in the house practice NILIF. What Koda is going through is normal. Rescues usually take a few months to settle in and start showing their true colors. However, it needs to be nipped in the bud right now. NILIF will help.

However, please be careful with how you discipline him. Alpha rolling or shoving his neck to the ground has little effect and can actually do more harm than good unless you have been coached by a trained professional on when and how to do it. Television shows have a bad habit of exhibiting these methods but not making it clear that they should not be attempted by the public.

Also- check out the thread on Puppy Biting. I know he's not a puppy, but it would be best if you and your roommates start treating him like he is in terms of the snapping/biting.

3.5 yo growling and snapping Hailey10
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

PostSubject: Re: 3.5 yo growling and snapping   3.5 yo growling and snapping EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 10:23 pm

Tori, I try to load them to my YouTube account fromy phone, And they wont never complete, if i could get them from my phone to my cokmputer, I would be set lol.
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

PostSubject: Re: 3.5 yo growling and snapping   3.5 yo growling and snapping EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:38 pm

Got it I think. Is he acting like deisel, or is he acting like this........

Sorry bout video quality, its was dark and the bedroom lighting is crap.
Back to top Go down
skyler7117
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: i know that dog every well   3.5 yo growling and snapping EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 3:17 pm

i can tell u what ever u want to know about koda I been looking for him for almost three years now I live in la harpe illinoise. he does not like little kids and he was a rescue and he had to go though rehab for his attiude. please contact me
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3.5 yo growling and snapping   3.5 yo growling and snapping Empty

Back to top Go down

3.5 yo growling and snapping

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1