It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Ruff Wear gear advice?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Female Join date : 2011-12-01

Ruff Wear gear advice? Empty
PostSubject: Ruff Wear gear advice?   Ruff Wear gear advice? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 1:43 am

I've been looking at getting the Bark'n Boot Grip Trex boots for Indy and I have a few questions and concerns...First off, do any of you guys have experience with these boots? And if so, what problems do you have with them? I'm reading a lot of reviews where they don't seem to stay on right because they're too tall, and Indy will be using them to run mostly as we don't go trail hiking too often. I don't want them to rub his feet or dew claws and give him sore feet...

Also, when wearing the boots, would it be better to get the socks/liners for them? I have mixed feelings about those because they don't seem to stay on right either, they aren't tall enough apparently. I might just buy some toddler socks that would be long enough to fold over the boots. I don't want him having any more issues with his feet while we're out. We run on some pretty rough terrain some times and he'll get burrs and stickers stuck between his pads, and I don't want him tearing his feet up when we have to cross gravel or cement or climb over trees.

Please help!!
Thanks (:
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear gear advice?   Ruff Wear gear advice? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 1:56 am

The Grip Trex boots are the short ones, and because it has a rubber sole, they are stiff, and not that easy to get on. Once I got it on Ginger, it doesn't appear to fit right because the rubber sole is stiff. Since Ginger doesn't like booties at all, she was able to kick them off right away. If I made the velcro strap any tighter, I think it would've been just uncomfortable. I returned them and the owner said that's a common complaint she had on returns, that it was too stiff.

Have you tried sock or any other type of bootie on Indy yet? You could try getting a cheap pair of booties to see how Indy does with a 'booty' first if you haven't yet:
http://dogbooties.com/products/330decobo.html

That way, if he doesn't like them or can't get used to them, you didn't spend a lot of money. Also, if Indy is OK with booties, and he loses one while he's out running around, you won't feel so bad.

Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear gear advice?   Ruff Wear gear advice? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 2:03 am

Thanks Claudia! Yeah, that came up as well, but I wasn't sure if it was something that was too bad of a problem. But now I know! (:

Yes, I've had booties on him before, they were thin and slightly durable but they weren't really "boots" they didn't have soles. They were really stiff as well..but it was made of one outer material for the whole boot. He wasn't a fan of them, but got used to them after a while. He kept doing the odd "boot walk" all over the house lol. But he didn't try to kick them off. He just high-stepped about for a few minutes.

I'm wanting something that's good and durable for rough terrain but is also comfortable for him. That's why I'm worried about getting the RW boots...
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear gear advice?   Ruff Wear gear advice? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 11:51 am

Well I have lost countless booties from dog botties.com but at 2.50 each its no big deal. Would never spend the money on RW booties, but I do love everything else they make.

I have the light weight booties for snowshoeing and only lost 2 on sat. Others fell off but we found them. I also have the heavest weight ones for rocky climbing and like them they hold up well. It just takes time for them to get used to wearing them. I also found you do need to make them really tight to not fall off and I always wonder how tight is to tight...I wish they made them taller. S&J wear the med. Sz from dogbotties.com

Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear gear advice?   Ruff Wear gear advice? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 9:06 pm

Thanks Jenn! I'm sure that when I do decide to get some that Indy will get used to them, I just need to find some that fit him right and he likes! I just really don't want him tearing up his feet. I sized Indy and he would be wearing the medium in the front and small in the back. 73 mm wide for his front paws and 65 mm wide in back! Never knew his feet were that different!
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear gear advice?   Ruff Wear gear advice? EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 11:45 pm

I decided to go with the RW boots since they seem to be the only ones that are durable and made for the terrain I need them for. They should be here tomorrow, so we'll see how they work!
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear gear advice?   Ruff Wear gear advice? EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 2:05 pm

I got the boots in and they looked and seemed pretty well made. The sole is a little thinner than it appears online, but still pretty thick. They're not nearly as stiff as I thought they'd be compared to the first set I had for Indy. I tried them on him and he high-stepped around a bit then settled right in! He wasn't throwing as much of a fit as he did with his first set. I had to buy two pairs, the small for his back legs and the medium for his front. They fit like a glove. I tried tugging on them a bit once they were secured and they didn't slide off either. We'll see how they hold up when we go for a run. I'd go try them out right now, but it's soggy and wet and muddy outside /: and we're packing up for out holiday trip to Dallas! Woop! When we get to Dallas, we're hitting the trails! Very Happy

Jenn, like Claudia said, the Grip Trex boots are their short boots. They have taller boots that go a ways up the legs. The Polar Trex? But they're very pricey! I wouldn't want to spend the money on those either! Not for just some seasonal boots. Seems like they're made for snow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ruff Wear gear advice?   Ruff Wear gear advice? Empty

Back to top Go down

Ruff Wear gear advice?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1