It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

Female Join date : 2012-01-05

Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! Empty
PostSubject: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 4:16 pm

Hello everyone,

We're first in line to adopt this beautiful boy if our house visit goes well and application is approved. If so we'll need lots of advice, as this is the first husky for my husband and I. I've also seen some Floridians on here, so maybe we can arrange some play dates!

We're really excited and hope he will be ours very soon. He's been neglected and abused and needs lots of love!

Looking forward to getting to know you and your dogs better!

-Rachel

http://www.siberrescue.com/doghouseaccept5.htm
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 4:24 pm

Welcome, Rachel! There are INDEED a lot of Floridians here! Good luck with your home visit! Nelson is positively STUNNING Smile

Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 4:25 pm

Thank you! He's stolen my heart already and I haven't even met him yet....although we'll have to make a name change. Our last name is Nelsen...he simply can't be Nelson Nelsen! Smile
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 4:27 pm

Welcome! I hope everything goes well and you are able to adopt Nelson, and he's really handsome. We have a fairly large group of Floridians here, and I think there are some meet up groups in Central FL as well.

Best of luck, and if you have any questions we are all more than willing to help!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 4:32 pm

rnelsen wrote:
Thank you! He's stolen my heart already and I haven't even met him yet....although we'll have to make a name change. Our last name is Nelsen...he simply can't be Nelson Nelsen! Smile
Haha! Too funny Smile

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 4:38 pm

I saw him posted on Facebook the other day, he is super handsome! I'm in south Florida and Sara (sarab) is in central fl. We both have meetup groups as well as are planning a double group camping trip in Ocala Feb 3-5th. It's $25 per person (dogs are free) with food being provided.

Here's the Central Fl Snowdog meetup group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CFLSnowdogs/

and the Camping trip event: https://www.facebook.com/events/285211964846875/

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
shirl51
Puppy
Puppy
shirl51

Female Join date : 2011-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi Rachel
I know this rescue, I got my baby Bob from them in August of 2011. They are wonderful. I am located in Central FL also Oviedo to be exact. I know you will pass the house inspection - they are so good. And any questions they are there for you. I saw Nelson and thought he will be adopted quickly. Fingers are crossed for you Smile

Shirl
Back to top Go down
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 6:05 pm

Kristina, thanks so much for the info on the camping trip! That looks like a lot of fun, I'm sure it's something my husband and I would love to do! As soon as we know Nelson is ours we'll let you know if we can attend!

Shirl, that's great to know that they're a good rescue. I talked to Janet on the phone today and she was so nice and really seemed to care about all of their dogs there. I had a really good feeling from her, so I think it will go well. I'm hoping we can have him by next weekend!

She told me that he was very timid and passive towards humans, probably due to neglect and/or abuse. It's going to take some time for him to come out of his shell. I hope he warms up to us quickly but I realize it may take a while to earn his trust and make him a happy husky again...
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 6:14 pm

Oh shucks! Well if you suddenly decide you need another one, my mom who does all breed rescue has a beautiful almost all white female right now. Wink

Welcome to the group! Where in Central FL are you? I'm in Deltona. Have they picked who's going to do your home visit yet? I've done a few for them. Wonder if they'll ask me to do it! lol. Definitely check out the CFLSnowdogs page on FB and it would be awesome if you could make it out to our camping trip!

Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 6:19 pm

SaraB wrote:
Oh shucks! Well if you suddenly decide you need another one, my mom who does all breed rescue has a beautiful almost all white female right now. Wink

Welcome to the group! Where in Central FL are you? I'm in Deltona. Have they picked who's going to do your home visit yet? I've done a few for them. Wonder if they'll ask me to do it! lol. Definitely check out the CFLSnowdogs page on FB and it would be awesome if you could make it out to our camping trip!

We live in Ocala, just moved from Gainesville 3 months ago for my husband's job. I have no idea who's doing the home visit, they were working on the references today and said a volunteer would be contacting me ASAP. That would be cool if it was you!

We would love to eventually adopt another, but right now I think one is enough for us. AND they say Nelson needs individual attention and will open up best in a one-dog household. But in the future I definitely foresee us having having a pack of them. Wink
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 6:30 pm

I doubt they will ask me. You're a little farther away than I thought. Oh well.

Here's a group closer to you. Not sure how active it is, but you'd be surprised at how quickly word spreds when you start looking for new members! https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/SwampHuskies/

There's a couple reputable breeders out near you too, Sally O'Connel (kennel name Mileka Siberians) and Veleah (sp?) siberians. Sally is a very nice lady who lives in Archer and I'm sure if you have any difficulties with your new boy, she'd be more than happy to help out. They even have a big cart they attach their sibes to and go for runs when it's cooler out! Sounds like so much fun!

Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 9:16 pm

Good luck! Post lots of pics when you get him!
Back to top Go down
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 10:10 pm

We are on our way home with him! Everything worked out and we signed the papers and picked him up today! He's pretty terrified so it will take a few days for him to warm up to us but I'll post pictures soon! Smile
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 10:13 pm

rnelsen wrote:
We are on our way home with him! Everything worked out and we signed the papers and picked him up today! He's pretty terrified so it will take a few days for him to warm up to us but I'll post pictures soon! Smile

YAY! Keep us posted! I have been eyeing Nelson up on the Rescue site and praying for a good home for him! So happy for you!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 10:14 pm

That's exciting! Congrats!!
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 10:23 pm

Congrats... Can't wait to see him
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Awesome! Congratulations!

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 10:27 pm

bounce Congrats!!! Can't wait to see pics! Lots of love and attention and he'll come out of his shell in no time! How exciting!
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 10:49 pm

congrats on hopeful adoption of Nelson...he looks great. I go to Ocala and Daytona usually once a year for Turkey Rod run and then head over to Big Daddy Don Garlits museum.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 11:22 pm

rnelsen wrote:
Yay! Smile

Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 12:50 am

That's great news! Best of luck with Nelson, and I can't wait to see pictures Smile

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Keimo&Izzi
Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 12:55 am

He's beautiful... My Bella has the same coloration as Nelson. Let us know about your name ideas... I love hearing about fur-baby names. I tried to change Bella to Izzi, but she likes Bella. We're still working on it... I just call her Izabella a lot. Maybe she'll catch on eventually. lol She is also very timid and shy. I think she might have been abused, but I know nothing about her background. Maybe I missed it, but how old is Nelson?
Back to top Go down
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 11:24 am

Thanks, everybody! The first night was a little rough. He had about a 2 hour car ride from the foster, and he was pretty terrified. He calmed down a lot when we got home and he could get in his crate. But he cowers at us and will not approach us. I knew beforehand it would be like this, but it's a lot harder to handle when you see it with your own eyes. The person who made him like this deserves to be whipped!!! It just breaks my heart, but I'm trying not to be discouraged. I know it's only been one day and it will take time, there's just always that thought that maybe he'll never be a normal, happy husky.

I only have a few pictures, he's so timid I don't want to get all up in his face with a camera, so hopefully in the next few days he'll become more comfortable and I can get some better shots. If anyone has any advice on how to handle him at this stage, or things we should do to help bring him out of his shell, please let me know! For now we're just trying to give him some space, although we will sometimes close the kennel door so he can't go in there and hide, and we'll sometimes corner him and try to pet him. He just looks so miserable I've started trying to back off.

My husband carrying him inside. He was too scared to walk.

Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! Imag0011

(I am trying to upload more photos, but each time I copy/paste a different code from a different image, it just copies the picture above a second time. Am I doing something wrong??)

Back to top Go down
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 11:27 am

He was soooo relieved to have his den back.
Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! Imag0019

Finally sleeping.
Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! Imag0018

Also, someone asked how old he was. His bio says 18-24 months, but the fosters think he is really closer to 12 months.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 11:33 am

Truthfully ignoring him would be best at this point if he approaches you verbally praise him but do it softly and without making a huge fuss. It may help to bring bits of cookies around the house with you so you can drop them around him when he approaches you. In the beginning you'll want to reward for any behavior that brings him out of the kennel and closer to you. Even if it's not exactly "close"

I'll write more when I get home from the meetup. But cornering him at this point isn't what you want to do, just ignore him and don't face him head on. Best way to interact with him is by sitting to the side without any quick movements.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!   Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hopeful new husky owner from central Florida!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next